Apr

2010 Draft: Baseball America’s latest top 50 rankings

Baseball America posted their latest rankings of the top 50 draft prospects today (subs. req’d), and several players I’ve highlighted place right around the Yankees’ first choice, #32 overall. JuCo outfielder LeVon Washington comes in at #31, Indy league southpaw James Paxton is right behind him at #33, and California prep righty Peter Tago behind him at #35. Virginia Tech’s Austin Wates is down in the low-40′s. Their #32 player is Georgia high school outfielder Chevez Clarke, who is a phenomenal athlete and an elite defender, but he has almost no present power.

The draft is still six weeks away, but it would take a catastrophe for the Nationals to pass on Bryce Harper with the top pick. Beyond that, it appears the Pirates will grab Mississippi lefty Drew Pomeranz with the second pick, leaving the Orioles to pick one of about a dozen premium high school arms, included Jameson Taillon.

Categories : Asides, Draft

1. ADam says:

If you guys had to guess today who the yanks take, who would it be?

• JSquared says:

Well, Heathcott wasn’t the highest rated by Baseball America last season when Yankees drafted him, so i’m guessing it’s the best high school player by Oppenheimer’s opinion.

2. A.D. says:

I would love me some Paxton.

3. Chip says:

Wow, a battery of Harper and Strasberg could make the Nationals not suck in the foreseeable future. If they keep Ryan Zimmerman, they could almost be good if everything falls right for them. Good for them (I still want Harper)

• WIlliam says:

I think any team with Harper as their battery will have a chance, he’s the key in that Battery.
      Harper>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Straberg

4. Reggie C. says:

James Paxton. I cant imagine he’d not sign with which ever team selects him. Missing the year really hurts his leverage.

5. pat says:

Tallion needs to start telling teams he wants 15 to sign. Dude is like a player you create on The Show. 6’7″ 230 with a legit high 90′s FB and arguably the best prep curve in draft.

6. JobaWockeeZ says:

I want AJ Cole to fall badly.

7. I would not be surprised if the Yankees took someone who isn’t even on this list with pick #32.

Yankees Scouting Department >>>>>> Baseball America

8. WIlliam says:

Bryce Harper is really Bryce Larkin in disguise

/Chuck’d

ps. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, shame on you. Go watch the entire first 2.5 seasons of Chuck now.