Sep

A rotation for the next few days but not yet the ALDS

Yankee manager Joe Girardi has unveiled his rotation for the first two weekend games against the Red Sox, but while we know that CC Sabathia is starting Game 1 of the ALDS, the Yanks’ skipper stopped short of revealing the Games 2 and 3 hurlers. As Marc Carig reported, Andy Pettitte will draw the start on Friday night, and A.J. Burnett will mercifully make his last regular season start of the year. Sunday’s starter remains to be announced.

I wouldn’t read into this announcement at all as far as a playoff rotation is concerned. Any of the Yanks’ starters could pitch Game 2 of the ALDS, and I’m reluctant to believe the Yanks would opt with A.J. over Phil Hughes, innings limit and all. For his sake and ours, I hope A.J. has a solid outing on Sunday, but when the games count again, Phil should get the ball.

Categories : Asides, Pitching

1. vin says:

CC and Andy going in games 1 and 2 at Target Field makes sense. Actually, I’d love to see Hughes start on the road in game 2, and Andy at home for game 3, but I’d rather see Andy start game 5 if necessary.

As long as they go with 3 starters, with AJ & Javy not being one of them, then I’m cool.

• Mister Delaware says:

I’d figure there’s a better chance of avoiding a Game 5 if Hughes goes on the road and Pettitte at home, splits like Hughes’ HR totals don’t lie. Not that Hughes pitching a Game 5 would make me all that nervous anyway.

2. PaulF says:

I think Pettitte ought to start Game 2. The home/road thing shouldn’t matter because Pettitte has also had a large home road split the past two years, so there’s just as much reason he should start on the road as Hughes.

3. Rey22 says:

Ugh, I’m a bit concerned that A.J. will have one of his dominating games on Saturday and that’ll make Girardi pick him for one of the ALDS games.

4. Mike HC says:

I actually have faith in AJ for the playoffs. He really has not given fans much reason to believe, and I may one of the last few, but I think we will come through if given the chance. I won’t really complain no matter what the Yanks decide to do with the starters though.

• Jon in CUO says:

Just curious, what is it that makes you feel this way?

• Jerome S says:

The fact that he has shown the ability to put together 4-5 quality starts.

Idunno, since he’s a “headcase” we kinda hope that he comes through in big spots. He did pretty well last year, aside from WS game 5.