Dec

Scout’s Notes via Josh Norris

You may have missed them over the holiday weekend, but Josh Norris published a series of short posts with quotes from scouts about various Yankees’ prospects. Among the players covered are system headliners Jesus Montero (“He might be Miguel Cabrera”), Manny Banuelos (“I think he’s the real deal”), Mason Williams (“an above-average major league center field profile”), and Dellin Betances (“he’s going to be a bullpen guy”). Corban Joseph, Angelo Gumbs, Cito Culver, Branden Pinder, and personal fave Bryan Mitchell were covered as well, and Norris also posted an interview with Adam Warren. They’re all quick reads and get RAB’s highest level of recommendation, so check ‘em out.

Categories : Asides, Minors

1. Plank says:

I love that website.

2. TheOneWhoKnocks says:

The take on Betances is borderline depressing, but not anything we haven’t heard before. Hope he can prove people wrong.

• Brian S. says:

His Betances scouting report is mitigated by the Montero-Miggy comp.

• nycsportzfan says:

I’d of traded Betances by now but regardless i think were gonna trade betances at somepoint so its kinda moot I have a feeling we’ll be dealing at the AS break and Betances will be part of the deal (just a hunch)

3. Robert says:

Does anyone know what day the chat is this week?

4. CJ says:

That’s why yanks couldn’t make a trade without giving up montero and banuelos.

• Ted Nelson says:

Did you actually read the blog? Pinder and Mitchell are basically called future MLB relievers, Gumbs an MLB starting 2B, Mason Williams a better defender than Brett Gardner, and CoJo really can swing the bat…

• CJ says:

Possible major league players will not get gio Gonzalez, mat Latos or Matt garza.

• Mike Axisa says:

Gonzalez and Latos were traded for (wait for it) possible major league players.

• CJ says:

Not possible Bullpen arms or short season prospects cmon man.

• Ted Nelson says:

This was not a comprehensive look at the Yankees farm system. It was specifically Norris talking to a scout about Staten Island prospects… Staten Island prospects are necessarily short season guys. C’mon man, your comment was totally off-topic. One single scout’s take on a bunch of short season guys and then a take on one AA guy doesn’t prove whether the Yankees can or cannot (let alone should or should not) trade for a good SP without giving up Montero or Banuelos.

• doubleGxioti says:

Kill joy

5. Plank says:

Banuelos didn’t have a bad year last year, but he didn’t take the leap forward many were hoping for. If he has another year similar to last season, what kind of prospect do you think he will be going into 2013?

6. Jamey says:

Oh please keep that Betances part away from WFAN & their listeners. Poor kid will never even have a chance. “He’s a BORN RELIEVA! JUST LIKE JOBA!”

7. CJ says:

Banuelos pitched as well or better in spring training as in minors. He’s ready for show in June.
    Girardi is better for bringing up kids than torre yanks. He is very scouting report/approach/strategy oriented through the catcher. Banuelos doesn’t have to think, just throw what Martin calls.

8. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

I’m used to the 20-80 scale. Whats a grade 5 Hit tool (re Mason Williams) ?

9. Total Dominication says:

How can one have better D than Gardner?

10. CJ says:

Mason Williams is a prospect but it’s a long time to wait for that type of player.

11. Josh Norris says:

Hey y’all,

Thanks for the reads. Much appreciated. Question, though: Have any of you tried to comment and find you cannot? I think blogger has mass problems with its commenting system.

Thanks,
    Josh

• Plank says:

I just posted a comment. It’s easier than I remember. I feel like most blogger sites require registration (maybe I’m making that up.)

It’s still a little clunky, you have to choose name/url from the drop down menu every time to make a comment. Sites like RAB or the old LoHud blog or the old BaseballPrimer had it so you enter your stuff once, and never have to think about it again.

• Josh Norris says:

Thanks, Plank. If I could leave Blogger, I would. It’s a pain in the butt, I know, and it’s probably why, despite 10,000+ hits this month, I have three or so comments.

12. Guns of the Navarone says:

Of course I appreciate reading about the Yankees farm and the input, but some of the things I read made me laugh. It’s no wonder some of these kinds of observations are bordering on obselete, IMO. One thing that stuck out for me was regarding Cito Culver:

Cito is a guy I didn’t see real good. For me, he’s not a major league player, at least not a major league regular.”
    “I’ve heard good things about the glove — I didn’t see it that good. The body doesn’t fit for me, the way it looks, especially out there at shortstop.”

First of all, if you didn’t see a player “real good” or didn’t see enough… don’t give your opinion – especially an extreme opinion one way or the other. I realize he’s doing a favor giving his opinion when asked and he prefaces everything with the fact that he didn’t get a good look, but still… To then go on and say the reason for your opinion is that he “doesn’t look good” is kinda laughable.

I didn’t see him real good, but I don’t think he’s not a major league player.

Why not???

Eh… Just the way his body looks.”

You can’t be expected to take that seriously is all I’m saying. I hope these aren’t the opinions front offices rely on to make decisions.

• Guns of the Navarone says:

“I didn’t see him real good, but I don’t think he’s a major league player.”

Disregard the double-negative.

• Don W says:

Or how about, “I don’t think he’s the greatest athlete in the world, not that he’s terrible, but I’m not sure he’s the greatest athlete in the world.” I believe there is only one greatest athlete in the world and the odds are he wasn’t pitching in Trenton last season. It’s really too bad Betances couldn’t be a great athlete like David Wells, Sid Fernandez or Bartolo Colon. If he was maybe he could have been a starter in the major leagues.