Jan

Fan Confidence Poll: January 30th, 2012

2011 Record: 97-65 (855 RS, 657 RA, 102-60 pythag. record), won AL East, lost to Tigers in ALDS

Top stories from last week:

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.

View Results
Categories : Polls

1. I was a 9 last week, it dropped down to 8 this week after the awful news about Kim Jones…sad to see her leave.

2. Robinson Tilapia says:

8. Strongly considered lowering to 7 for a week in honor of Kim Jones as well.

• ChooChoo says:

Because of Kim Jones—I’m up to a 10. Hopefully no more mindless 3rd inning reporting while the game is going on. There’s already a half hour and often one hour pre-game show for all the extra stuff. During the game, let’s stick to the action on the field. Glad to see her go.

• I disagree, I like the breakup during the broadcast, and she was good at what she did.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

She may have been the second or third best announcer out of that entire crew.

• That’s not on Kim, though; that’s on the network who did it because every other team’s network does it. She may not have asked the most detailed or in depth questions at times, but she did what she did well and with enthusiasm. I feel like her role was limited by YES and she could’ve done a lot more if given the chance.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

The Yankees, in fact, are probably one of the only franchises or sports entities that make a commitment to breaking with female announce crew members as sideline-type reporters. Love her or hate her, the mere existence of Suzyn Waldman is a very good thing.

I always greatly enjoyed Jones and Bob Lorenz taking on C-team announce duties on those West Coast games Kay and Singleton didn’t get to. Were she to have stayed on, I always hoped for a much expanded role for Jones. Let’s hope that, wherever she ends up, that’s exactly what she gets.

• Evan3457 says:

“Love her or hate her, the mere existence of Suzyn Waldman is a very good thing.”

Couldn’t disagree more. Waldman interviewing players: good. Waldman doing commentary for John Sterling: waste of air-time.

But then, Sterling himself is a waste of air-time, so what’s the difference?

• theyankeewarrior says:

Listening to Kim Jones > Listening to 90% of baseball talking heads

• bpdelia says:

Sorry i agree. While she was ok she isn’t goose to curry. And anyway i hate sidelines reporters. Its all useless fluff and every moment the camera is on her it isn’t where it should be, on the field. The influx sidelines reports are obviously far worse.

The fame needs less mindless fluff sidelines reports, NO MORE IN GAME MANAGER INTERVIEWS (i get my useless cloches quota from the pres and post game manager interviews, and about 75% less shots of fans regardless of celebrity status.

3. Vegetable Lasagna says:

We have yet to see the on the field product so you either have to be at a 0 or a 10. I’m at a 10 because I see the potential in the pitching staff. The pen was already the best in the league and will be made better by the return of Joba and the insertion of Phil Hughes. CC, Kuroda, Pineda, Nova, Garcia is one hell of a starting rotation.

• MattG says:

A zero or a ten? Did we switch to base two and nobody told me?

• Craig Maduro says:

Well, let’s hold off on Hughes to the ‘pen proclamations.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

“Fuck you I won’t do what you tell me” – Zach de la Rocha

“If you ain’t first, yer last” – Reese Bobby

I jest but, no, you do not have to be at a zero or ten. There’s all sorts of pretty numbers in between you could choose as well that would be just as valid. You could also just stick with the number you were at the end of the season and adjust slightly for off-season moves, which is why my end-of-season “8″ settled back into it’s usual spot after a while.

• CP says:

Considering that there is no option to vote a 0, I assume that means everyone should vote 10?

4. MattG says:

It seems like a small thing, but it is an excellent sign that the Yankees and their arbitration eligible players are agreeing to the mid-point with such little acrimony. It means that the Yankees are doing a superb job of evaluating players, and see eye to eye with various agents. This gives me a great deal of confidence.

• Ted Nelson says:

I don’t really follow. Agents should not be impartial judges of value, but should be lobbying on their clients’ behalves to get the best deals possible. I think it’s pretty normal to split the difference on arb eligible players and mitigate risk on both sides (since I believe the arbiter can only choose one side’s $ or the other… not a mid-point), but all else equal agreeing with agents probably means you’re overpaying.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Agreed. This seems to be fairly regular practice for arbitration.

• MattG says:

Except when its not. Some high percentage of cases go to arbitration each year. Some high percentage of players even win those cases.

The Yankees management made exactly zero mistakes in arbitration this year. They’ve perfectly found the floor to counteract the player’s ceiling, making the midpoint an easy point to settle. This is a win for everyone, and bodes well for the Yankees’ valuation process.

If you find yourself wondering why the Yankees won’t pay $6M for this or $12M for that, I can use this as evidence that they have a firm grip on the market.

It’s also just three players, so maybe they got lucky. I doubt it.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’m sure the rapid response team will chime in with a comparison of how the Yankees do versus the league average, separate out by years, etc. By rapid response, of course, I mean “Larry.” :)

Until then, we are probably all talking straight out our asses.

• thenamestsam says:

I think it’s more likely that the Yankees have just realized it’s not worth fighting over. With the resources they have risking a player’s good feeling over a half a million dollars here or there would be completely asinine. The difference between paying Martin 7M or 7.5M or 8.2M is a drop in the bucket. The difference between having an annoyed Martin who had to listen to the team argue about how he isn’t good enough vs. a Martin who feels good about how negotiations went is potentially large. Especially given that they may be bidding for his services against other interested parties one year from now.

Other smart teams with resources have clearly started to do the same thing. Texas, for instance, hasn’t gone to arbitration with a single player since since Daniels took over. It’s hard to see how it could ever be worth the trouble.

• MattG says:

Maybe you and Tipilia are right. It would’ve been a bad sign if they mucked it up, but it’s not really a sign of brilliance that they didn’t. I was still impressed that the numbers were close, and the cases settled so easily.

• Ted Nelson says:

I’d agree that there’s an intangible “feelings” part, but I think a lot of it is purely financial. If you assume a 50/50 chance of winning then you’re both getting your expected $ by meeting half way, while eliminating the risk of losing and paying out more/receiving less. I would imagine teams and players build this into their $ figure, getting ready for the negotiation as much as the actual hearing.

• Ted Nelson says:

“Since 1974, and including 2011, arbitrators have ruled on behalf of the players 212 times and clubs 286 times. Although the number of players filing for salary arbitration varies per year, the majority of cases are settled before the arbitration hearing date. Typically, approximiately 90 percent of the players filing for arbitration reach new agreements before a hearing.”

90% of cases never make it to the hearing according to the MLBPA. And if you look at the list of what the players are asking for vs. what the team is offering… it’s rarely far apart. Most cases where it is far apart it’s someone who is looking for a huge raise, like Jose Bautista.

An average of about 13 players cases make it to the hearing according to the MLBPA (498 hearings/38 years).

5. AJavierkei Pavagawnett says:

9.5. Carlos Pena would have made it a 10, although anyone (including Raul) would be an upgrade over Posada.

6. Bavarian Yankee says:

8 because I’m afraid the players are getting annoyed by watching the Knicks and then slam their heads into walls. That’s what I’m doing since the season started :D

7. Plank says:

7 again.

Went up from a 6 after the Pineda/Kuroda moves.

Still lose points mostly for the austerity plan (though I don’t completely buy it) and the aging infield.

8. Cris Pengiucci says:

I’m at a 9. I had this odd dream last night the the Yanks and Seattle made another deal last night, this time for King Felix. They sent Cano and some others over for him (being that it was a dream, I really don’t recall who was sent other tan Cano). That would have really made this a difficult poll!

9. Craig Maduro says:

I’m at 7.5

If the Yankees address the DH role to my satisfaction, my confidence will probably increase by a point. My score also hinges on what they end up doing with Phil Hughes. Bullpen assignment = lower score for me.

10. BK2ATL says:

I’m at a 9. The Pineda & Campos trade plus the Kuroda trade locked it up for me. I think we have a World Series caliber roster now.

If we can avoid major injuries, if A-Rod and Tex return to close-to-career-norms level, and if Granderson, Cano and Jeter have similar years, we’re gonna be in very good shape against any team.

Gonna miss Montero, but we got young SP, 2 power arms at that. With Banuelos and Betances waiting in the wings for 2013, the future is certainly bright.

I think if they bring in Soler and Conception, I’ll have to bump up the rating to 9.5.

11. bil says:

Russell Martin should give half back he sucks so bad, worst catcher in history.(Offensively)

12. LarryM.,Fl. says:

9. I’m happy about the state of the team. Now just have to hope for minimum injuries to the everyday players.

13. CJ says:

7. Down from 8 after prince fielder signed with tigers.

14. CMP says:

9 and I’d be at a 9.5 if the Yankees can sign Jorge Soler to replace the big prospect bat they traded away in Montero.

15. Chris in Maine says:

Mike are you still at a 7?

16. Evan3457 says:

I’m at 9.
    But then, I’m always at 9.

17. handtius says:

i’m at a seven. still morning the loss of jesus (never thought i’d write that sentence). i like pineda, but still, jesus was, well, jesus! (again, never thought i’d write this, even though he was a damn good carpenter).

18. TomH says:

I’m stuck at 5, still worried about the aging of Jeter and ARod and the improbability of their rebounding (ARod) or of repeating (Jeter, for Pt. 2 last season). This problem just keeps getting worse and complicates the overall hitting situation. As certain bat speeds slow down, this a team more easily had by good pitching every year. Yeah, of course, all teams have trouble with good pitching, but it’s better to have younger and in-their-prime bats to deal with the problem.

The loss of Montero really does have to be, somehow, recouped. Who knows how? That’s why Cash gets big dough.

19. Bob Stone says:

I am at 9 as usual. This team and organization have so many good things going for it.

I am sorry to see Kim Jones leave.

I am very satisfied with all the recent moves . . . Kuroda, Pineda et. al.

There’s been encouraging news on Hughes and Chamberlain.

The BoSox are in disarray.

What’s not to like about the Yankees chances this year? Perhaps Texas and Anaheim(or is that LA or CA?) loading up? Perhaps.

I like what I am seeing A LOT!