Jul

Some thoughts on the morning of the trade deadline

(REUTERS/Ray Stubblebine)

The non-waiver trade deadline is less than seven hours away, and like everyone else the Yankees have holes to fill. Alex Rodriguez‘s injury created the need at third base, and the need for a solid non-matchup reliever has been obvious for weeks. Russell Martin and Chris Stewart have been one of the least productive catching tandems in baseball this season, so there’s lots of room for improvement behind the plate. Add in Mark Teixeira‘s wrist injury, and another bat could become a need in a hurry.

Naturally, Brian Cashman downplayed the team’s needs and potential dealings yesterday. “Tomorrow’s a big day, 4 o’clock deadline … A big day where we’ll do nothing, most likely, but a lot of false hustle goes into this stuff too,” he said. Obviously he won’t reveal too much; the Yankees could be working on a four-team blockbuster and he would say nothing’s up. Here are a few random thoughts in the hours leading up to the deadline…

The Yankees should do something
As I said, the needs are obvious. The Yankees should know more about Teixeira’s wrist relatively soon — they won’t announce anything until after the trade deadline for leverage reasons, I assume — and that figures to change their plans one way or another. If it’s a day-to-day thing, then no big deal. Anything more than that will require some kind of action. I know they have a seven-game lead in the loss column, but the worst thing they could do is rest on their laurels.

… but not anything significant.
The Yankees don’t need a major move. Ichiro Suzuki was their big move and that was a big move in name only — he’s just a complementary player. Adding a reliever, replacing Chris Stewart, and finding a spare infielder to team with Eric Chavez and Jayson Nix aren’t complex moves that will require top prospects or tying up future payroll. A middle reliever, a backup catcher, and a bench player. That’s it. The Yankees swung three trades in 2010 — Lance Berkman, Kerry Wood, Austin Kearns –and that was their busiest deadline in a while. They don’t need wholesale changes, just minor upgrades to the fringes of the roster.

Don’t count on health.
The team can sugarcoat it all they want, but Andy Pettitte just suffered a setback. When you have to scale back physical activity because things aren’t healing as expected, it’s a setback. A-Rod‘s hand is a concern because hand injuries can linger, and when you don’t have the strength to hold or the swing the bat properly, you don’t produce. I know the Yankees expect both guys back and that’s swell, but adding some depth for that worst case scenario would be a pretty smart thing to do. Finding a spare starter for Pettitte will be damn near impossible, but David Phelps could fill that role if they replace him with another arm. Adding a bench player to replace Ramiro Pena during A-Rod’s absence seems all to obvious.

Patience, but not too much.
The one thing that Cashman has added to the front office since supposedly getting full control of the baseball operations is patience. They almost never rush into moves — panic moves are a thing of the past — and will wait out the market for the best possible deal. That’s how you get Bobby Abreu for nothing and Hiroki Kuroda on a below-market, one-year contract. Waiver trades can still be made in August, but sometimes the solution pops up sooner than expected (coughYorvitTorrealbacough). No need to wait on that stuff. The potential downside is so low that it might as well be nonexistent.

* * *

I’m a big believer in not sitting tight — a contender thinking they have all the right pieces and do not need to make any moves no matter how small. There is always room for improvement, and that is certainly true for this year’s Yankees. I don’t expect them to do anything more than add a bench player today — they already tried to acquire Brendan Ryan — though we know they have a tendency to pull off surprise moves. The three-game losing streak and ridiculous stretch of one-run losses make their current situation seem way worse than it really is, but the club does need to make a few minor adjustments and add depth as long as Teixeira’s injury is nothing significant. If it is, well there’s little they could do to fill that hole anyway.

Categories : Musings, Trade Deadline

1. Robert says:

It’s not time to panic ,but i would try for a corner bat.

2. Typical MIT Nerd says:

What annoys me to no end is the nice upgrades – Hanley, Soto – who are changing teams with much lower costs than what they would have been available even one year ago. There’s a certain ego that pervades how the Cashman front office does business. If they don’t see a problem – like with the bench five years ago – then there isn’t a problem. Hanley and Soto would have both been great pickups. Ichiro, by contrast, is barely an upgrade over the Wise and Dickerson’s of the game.

• jjyank says:

You sure it was Cashman’s “ego” that prevented him from getting Hanley and not just him getting traded BEFORE the A-Rod injury? Alright then.

• Dan says:

How would Soto have been a good pickup? He is hitting under .200 on the Cubs, do you know that he would do any better in the AL East facing better pitchers? If anything, I would prefer they get Torrealba from the Rangers. Though, if Romine can get to being able to catch more regularly I would prefer seeing either him or Cervelli get called up instead of trading for a catcher that might not produce any better than Stewart or Martin.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’m not making the poli-sci joke again. Besides, the honorable congressman debunked that well.

Soto’s not an upgrade. I’d be curious if we hear about, at least, a bite on Yorbit….and not from Mrs. Yorbit.

• Dan says:

Yeah, he would be an upgrade over Stewart and it would allow the Cashman to keep Cervelli and Romine in the minors to continue to get regular work.

• Ted Nelson says:

Hnley is way overpaid and still required a good prospect. Soto stinks and maybe the Yankees don’t think he can tirn it around.

3. The Real Greg says:

By the way, with Arodys Vizcaino being traded to Chicago, it’s fair to say that the Yankees won the the Javier Vasquez trade. Atlanta got nothing from it and we got a somewhat effective Boone Logan.

• Typical MIT Nerd says:

That doesn’t close it off. They got two somewhat useful pieces – in Maholm and Johnson. Moreover, how many WAR did Logan and Vazquez generate versus how many the Braves got for all the pieces (from negative Melky, to Dunn to now this trade)?

Add all that up and it’s hard to call that a win. Plus there was the opportunity cost of Vaquez. Him pitching meant Joba was forever relegated to the pen. Another ego stroke by Cashman and crew. It didn’t matter how bad Vazquez was on his first trip through the Bronx. They were going to do exactly what they thought – evidence be damned.

• The Real Greg says:

I don’t count players that they got from trading the original pieces. I count only the production of the original pieces themselves.

The reason is because the trade value for each piece differs from team to team, so they are worth different amounts.

• Knoxvillain says:

Don’t forget it helped them get Uggla, too.

• YankeeGrunt says:

So Vazquez was an ego stroke designed to vindicate Cashman’s unwillingness to put Joba in the rotation? That is absurd.

• Reggie C. says:

So we’re just going to ignore the Reed Johnson and Maholm return received partly due to Vizcaino’s inclusion? Paul Maholm is under a team option for next season so its not like the Braves will solely benefit from this trade for 60 games.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

You must be crazy.

In no way, shape or form did they come close to winning the Javy trade. He had a negative WAR for that season, any journeyman piece of crap AAAA pitcher could have done the same or better.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

BOONE LOGAN IS THE LAST MAN STANDING!

• Ted Nelson says:

That Arodys changed teams means nothing.

There is no value at all in “beating” the Braves in a deal. What’s relevant is what the Yankees gave up and what they got.

It’s certainly not as bad as some nutjobs make it out to be. Yankees knew Arodys was promising but injury prone. Knew Melky was talented but lost. They got Logan and they got Bichette, even though Javy busted.

• RetroRob says:

The Yankees traded away future potential in Vizcaino for the immediate gain of Javy Vazquez, one of the top pitchers in the game in 2009. Javy just didn’t perform as expected, so the Yankees main part of the deal failed from that perspective. What Vizcaino does moving forward really doesn’t matter.

The Braves haven’t made out yet either. Melky was basically the worst player in the game in 2010 for them. They gave up a useful reliever in Logan. Vizcaino ended up having the TJ surgery that was feared he’d might have going back to when he was with the Yankees. Yet Vizcaino was a key player that Theo wanted in this deal for Maholm and Johnson, so if those two players help the Braves win their division, and/or go deep into the postseason, then certainly the Braves will be happy.

And, yes, like the Yankees, they will have surrendered future value for the hope of current value. That’s totally fine. It was fine for the Yankees three years back, and it’s fine for the Braves today.

4. Eddard says:

We need a big splash-

Top flight starter to compete with the Angels rotation
    Catcher who can hit
    Fill in 3rd baseman for Alex
    Big RH bat who can replace Andruw Jones
    Another quality reliever who can help us in one run games

I think if Cashman gets a couple of these things and we get Andy, Alex and Joba back we’ll be in decent shape. I just don’t see us getting to the WS without some upgrades.

• Kosmo says:

I could see adding a RH bat who can hit to play either LF or 3B. Catchers who can hit is a very tall order to fill.

Yanks might have to play Swisher at 1b depending on Tex´s status. So LF might become a priority. I thought Reed Johnson could have been an OK fit unfortunately so did the Braves.

Although a long shot I´m holding out for Arasmis Ramirez, he´d fit into 3b like a glove and could split time with Arod at DH once he returns.

A really good RH relief pitcher will be hard to come by.

• Kosmo says:

I would definitely fasttrack Montgomery to the bigs. He could be the additional BP piece NY is looking for. 1 more week at Trenton and 2 more at Scranton be up by the end of August.

• Derek says:

Top flight starter is not going to happen- not affordable in terms of prospects. Also, have to remember the austerity budget.

Catcher- This could go either way, but I think we’re OK here. Russell has been hitting better, and he does have a crazy low BABIP too. Stewart obviously is a 0 with the bat, and I’d like to stop seeing this personal catcher with CC nonsense.

3B- This is most likely to happen, if anything. Need a right handed corner infielder. Nix will get exposed with extra playing time. Off the top of my head, he Ks 25% of the time, and for his career is below avg against lefties in terms of wRC+

RH bat to replace Jones- Way too quick of a hook on Andruw and not a priority

Quality Reliver- Would cost too much in prospects, and odds are Joba/Aardsma would be better than them

• Ted Nelson says:

So according to Eddard, the Yanks are so good they can’t loae the division. Yet they have no shot at winnin the WS… Interesting logic…

5. Bavarian Yankee says:

Mike, chat today?

6. DJ says:

If the Yanks fall short this year then the ‘suits’ including Brian (I don’t need to do anything)Cashman can’t tell the fans they’ll do everything possible to improve the team especially if they stick to their frugal plan.

7. The Real Greg says:

CSN Chicago reporting that in the last 48 hours, the Rangers and the Yanks have stepped up into the Ryan Dempster foray.

Remember, Dempster was a closer for a few years in Chicago so he can pitch out of the bullpen.

• Kosmo says:

I can´t believe NY would want Dumpster maybe it´s to drive the price up for the Rangers.
      Even so the Yanks are not going to trade for Dumpster to pitch out of the pen.

• YankeeGrunt says:

Heyman says that there is nothing to it. It was only one reporter saying it, might have been a leak trying to drive the price up.

• Derek says:

I highly doubt they’d get him for the pen. I know it’s common to be wary of a guy moving from NL to AL, but he’s still an upgrade over Garcia over the stretch run. However, I think this is just Cashman doing his due diligence. The price is probably prohibitive.

8. Matty Ice says:

I know he can only fake it at third (and barely at that) but I’d go after Wiggington. God forbid Tex’s injury is nagging, we’ll have someone to plug in at first. Unless they feel Swish at 1B, with Ichiro in RF and Ibanez/Jones in LF is better. Even then, you’re stretching yourself thin.

Gun to the head, I think Stephen Drew is a Yankee though.

• Derek says:

I agree with you- Wigginton would be my choice. He hasn’t hit much this year but in his career is solid against lefties. Probably wouldn’t cost much given his performance this season. Don’t see any reason for Philly to hold on to him

• Derek says:

Agree with you. Wigginton would be my choice. Hits lefties well for his career, although he’s been bad this year. Shouldn’t cost much, no reason for Philly not to move him

• Jersey Joe says:

Yeah, I mean I’ve certainly never been a fan of Wigginton, but we need righty power desperately, and Jones has cooled off considerably since the series at Fenway, and with Tex’s recent injury, it makes a lot of sense.

9. Knoxvillain says:

Betances and Murphy for Dempster, please.

10. Eddard says:

What might be hampering Cashman is Hal’s austerity measures. To me, they need to be going the other way, especially this year. This is an aging roster. When players get older they aren’t as effective so the window is closing for Jeter and A-Rod. The time to make a big splash is now and Ichiro is not a big splash.

11. JohnC says:

Lyle Overbay was designated for assignment. COuld be a nice fill in for Tex if he has to go on the DL

12. Davey Vecchia says:

Dioner Navarro lets go trade for him! He’s tearing it up in the Reds minor league team this season.

13. SamVa says:

I’ll tell you, point to point, this isn’t a video game man.

Top Flight starter who can compete with the Angels?
    Cashmoney can’t make moves every time that someone else does. Who do you suggest they acquire? Cliff “no way you make it to under 189 million” Lee or Josh “I’m really awesome… when i’m not hurt” Johnson?
    For Johnson you have to sell the farm, for Lee you lose one of Cano/Grandy to an extension.. I know there are others out there.. but really? Try to think about it from a GM point of view.

The rest of your points can come from within.. and I tend to agree with. I think trading for relievers is stupid if there is any cost whatsoever. The Yankees have made their bullpen their bread and butter by trading marginal prospects and mixing and matching.

Also, no one needs to replace Jones. I think there is something left there. I could see replacing Stewart with someone.. but Jones is solid.

• SamVa says:

Reply fail: Eddard

• Adam says:

And I will add here…first, freakin’ place and second best record in baseball. Sure there are a few holes that could be filled (and could also be filled after the waiver deadline), but the Yanks have as good a chance as anyone else at this point.

14. SamVa says:

I will say, I think C-Money makes a splash today. Too much dice rolling now that Tex could be injured.

Just my two cents.

I think Headley to the Yankees. Book it and say bye bye to Williams and Austin

15. Darren says:

When did the Yankees turn into the Pirates? Or worse, the Mets?

Yankees Global Enterprises is a company that basically prints up money, it is so cash rich. Nothing is going to change any time soon unless they start losing, like, early ’90s losing.

So I still don’tunderstand the point of the $189mm number. Austerity measures? Hal better be careful because you can’t have it both ways. You wanna charge $1k per seat, you better put the best product out there.

So I wanna see the Yankees suck it up and trade for Cliff Lee. He’s our only shot of getting to the World Series.

• gc says:

And who do you trade to get him?

• Darren says:

The Phillies will take very little if the Yanks don’t insist on Phillies eating too much money. Phelps, either or both Bs, Nunez and pretty much any other of the Yanks best prospects, depending on money.

I can’t claim to have watched Lee’s starts, but if he is even 90% as good as he was in the start against the Yanks in the WS, I want him. Especially because of our RISPy-fail but also because he gives us a true ace and CC can slot down where he belongs, s the 1A guy.

In the playoffs I want to start Lee, CC, Pettitte (IF he returns), Nova/Hughes. At least we’d have a fighting chance in a game where we score 3 runs.

• Darren says:

And depending on how much money the Phillies would eat, I’d give them Nova or Hughes too.

• gc says:

There is absolutely no response that can be made to this. It is so monumentally batshit insane, I wouldn’t know where to begin. So I say unto you in the words of my uncle, YOUR TRADE PROPOSAL SUCKS.

• Darren says:

Why don’t you try and give it a shot? Seriously I’d like to know why you think it’s so crazy. One rule – don’t reference the $189mm budget – just baseball reasons.

• jjyank says:

Hell no to this.

• Bavarian Yankee says:

I’m with you. Screw the austerity budget plan.

• YankeeGrunt says:

The point of austerity isn’t to win with less, it is to avoid subsidizing the competition with steep (and after 2014 accelerating) luxury tax payments. There has been some talk of winning with less and maybe there you’d have some traction, but the 2014 plan is geared specifically to avoid financial consequences that will effectively pay other teams to compete with the Yankees for free agents.

• Darren says:

Except the other teams aren’t required to actually spend their money on payroll, are they? And even if they are, why should I care if the Twins have an extra $5mm to play with as a result of the Lee acqusisition? It’s silly.

There are absolutely no BASEBALL consequences for spending more money. The only consequences to instituing an austerity plan are: (1) The Steinbrenners absolutely massive, obsecene profits are reduced slightly; and (2) Cashman gets to stroke his ego and prove that he can too can be a Billy Beane, extracting value fromlesser known players with a budget. Except nobody gives a shit except for him and potential employers if he ever wants to leave.

Look, this isn’t signing John Lackey to an $85mm deal because he’s the only one out there, or trading great young talent for a mediocre aging DH. We’re talking about acquiring a True #1 Ace for very little, except for money, a resource we have in spades.

Please Cashman, stop dicking around and get Cliff Lee.

• JohnnyC says:

This is a common misunderstanding. Luxury tax payments go to the MLB central fund. Revenue sharing is distributed to a list of teams which are designated as low-revenue, small markets. This list is determined each season and can change year-to-year. The central fund is used for whatever purposes deemed appropriate by the commissioner’s office. So the 189 number is strictly about not paying an onerous luxury tax penalty in 2014. After 2014, the penalties revert to previous levels.

• RI$P FTW says:

When you print money at will, it devalues money in general. Do you work in the US government, by any chance?

• Darren says:

You understand that I was using the “print money” phrase figuratively, right? I mean, the Yankees don’t actually print money, but the brand is sostrong, it’s “almost” as if they can print money. The point is that they are so flush with cash, with no reason to think anything will change (unless the product becomes seriously bad), that money shouldnot be a concern. But because they are not “actually” printing money, money is not being devalued and thus that is not a concern (the way it would be if the Federal government simply printed more money).

• Robinson Tilapia says:

“Help me, Obi-Lee. You’re my only hope.”

Thank you, Princess Leia.

• Ted Nelson says:

This has little to do with the 2014 austerity measures and a lot to do with already having a sick team and atrong depth. They are reportedly looking into guys like Dempster, Headley, and Ryan still. You might want to get a clue before saying dumb things.

• Alex P says:

A potential 300 million in profit is nothing to sneeze at.

16. CountryClub says:

If they’re truly interested in Dempster (I’m not convinced they are) and somehow pulled that deal off, I would think a second trade would follow. Maybe Hughes or Nova for a bat? That would be my guess.

• Bavarian Yankee says:

I don’t think they’ll trade Nova but I’d have no problem if they trade Hughes. Maybe Hughes + ? for Headley? I doubt that’ll happen but I’d support it.

• vin says:

A team like the Padres has no interest in getting Hughes for his 6th, and final year of team eligibility.

Also, the Yankees will not trade their 3rd best starter (currently) for a stopgap 3rd baseman (who I am a fan of).

So, to sum up… the Yanks aren’t trading Phil, and he doesn’t hold much value to a team that doesn’t figure to contend either this year or next.

• Derek says:

Hughes would be perfect for Petco with his fly ball tendencies…But I feel like I would want more than just Headley for Hughes. And obviously this would be contingent on us getting another starter elsewhere.

I still feel that this will be a pretty quiet deadline for us.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

No way in hell I’d go for that. One of your best pitchers this year for a guy who you’ve never seen in RF full time?

• CountryClub says:

Jon Heyman ?@JonHeymanCBS
      theres no evidence of dempster talk with the # yankees.

• RI$P FTW says:

But everyone here says Heyman is nothing but a liar who helps his buddy Boras jack up prices of his clients. Why are we still quoting him every 5 minutes?

• Slugger27 says:

nobody says that except kabak that one time. and once ben looked INCREDIBLY silly when soriano signed, we stopped hearing that talk.

• Ethan says:

As much as none of us want to see it, if dempster joined the rotation I think Hughes would go to the bullpen.

• Slugger27 says:

i think theres a 90% chance the yankees interest in dempster was completely made up. just cuz MLBTR reports a random reporter no ones heard of reported interest, doesnt mean any importance should be placed on it.

• Derek says:

This is partially true, but it’s also possible Cash just did his due diligence checking in on prices, and some guy from the Cubs decided to leak that as if the Yankees had serious interest in order to drive up price from others.

• Hubward says:

As an overseas convert would Hughes/Nova get Headley or is that a steal for either side?

• Slugger27 says:

just dont know why they would want hughes. theyre rebuilding and shedding payroll, hughes is controlled for 1 more season and not cheap. i dont understand why hughes name keeps getting brought up.

• JohnnyC says:

Because fans hate Hughes. For all the reasons they cite, Nova is actually the more attractive trade piece. But, apparently, giving up the most XBHs in baseball is a good thing.

• Hubward says:

I agree about Hughes. I’m a fan & think he does a job for us, (so oes Nova – I wuoldn’t ship either) but people keep looking to trade him. Just hadn’t got my head around trade values.
          I used to watch a lot of cricket & to my eye we seem to have some sluggers but not enough people to build an innings around. I wondered whether Cano’s streakiness lately is due to not having enough reliability behind him leading to a ‘gotta reach for the wall’ mentality.

• Slugger27 says:

hughes is a fine trade piece to other teams, just not rebuilding teams like the padres. to a team thats actually good and can afford him, he makes sense. im sure he could bring something useful back, especially to a team in a big ballpark

17. DJ4K&Monterowasdinero says:

So how do we get Jesus back? Big righty bat, almost as good as our 2 gold glovers back there…..

22 years old at 500K a year

sigh

• Ethan says:

I’m not a fan of Martin but right now I think I’d still take him over Montero. Both are having pretty bad offensive seasons and Martin’s a better defensive catcher.

• pat says:

.263/.309/.402 overall and .228/.323/.329 wRISP He’d fit right in. Montero is not the answer. Pull your head out of your ass for once.

• JohnnyC says:

Agree with you. But one thing to keep in mind: everybody sucks offensively in Seattle. Montero probably hits better if he keeps his NY uniform. Not that I’m jonesin’ for his return. Move on as an organization.

• DJ4K&Monterowasdinero says:

Classy Pat.

22 year old at Safeco at 500K batting cleanup on a crappy team.

Take my chances.

18. Dale Mohorcic says:

JoeJessica really should be picked up.

19. not that mike says:

annoyed at this austerity nonsense.

Not that i necessarily want Lee/Garza/Broxton, but the fact (in truth and practice) that the Yanks have a few areas of need and because and only because of money the deals will not get made is frustrating.

Tino not hitting enough??? Get Big Daddy. Chili/Spencer not producing as you’d like? Get Justice/Hill/Canseco. Win 125 games with the best-money staff in baseball? Get Clemens. 3 WS in a row? Sign Mussina.

All those tranactions ( maybe excluding Westbrook) were clear wins where the Yanks took on salary and improved a strength. they didnt wait for a “need” to pop up to improve the squad.

Now, it appears that not only does a need have to appear, but they will band-aid a need….nevermind improving a place where they could otherwise.

sigh.

• Adam says:

Or the team doesn’t want to saddle itself with crap long term contracts for players on their downturn. Trading for Justice or Hill is way different than a Mussina-type signing (and, umm, the Yanks made plenty of signings this past offseason). Most trade deadlines little does happen, just small pieces (think Kerry Wood, Justice as you point to above, etc…). While they performed, remember that little was given up in those trades and in those instances the players were frequently under-performing with their team and then had success with the Yanks. That is precisely the type of trade that still could happen.

• Darren says:

jesus christ boyo, the Yankes play in the best city in the world. When you take a supermodel out for dinner, you don’t take her to Tad’s steaks.

• vin says:

“Exactly. And we could very likely be heading to another first round exit and everyone can rely on the crutch of small sample size. ”

You honestly don’t see a best of 5 (or even 7) series against one of the top 5 teams in the league as a bit of a crapshoot? Maybe I’ve just seen too many great teams get knocked out in the playoffs to believe anything different. The way the Yanks were playing prior to the ASB, they would’ve won the WS. The way the A’s have been playing lately, they would’ve won the WS. Teams ebb and flow (Cashman speak) all season… you have to hope to get hot at the right time, and if you’re not hot, you have to be a little lucky.

• gc says:

How did the great Cliff Lee and that vaunted Phillies pitching staff of aces do last October? Hmmm, I guess for THEM it was an issue of small sample size, but not for the Yankees.

• RI$P FTW says:

Austerity allegedly in 2014. We’re in 2012 right now.

20. Ton Lon ton says:

I going to repeat that I am now available to play any major league position I now will come out of retirement my 53 yr old arm is still a frickin monster lets play ball ya frickin tuna fish head trippers

21. yankeefan says:

Trade For A Catcher Make a trade for paulino. The orioles don’t need him

22. Robinson Tilapia says:

Basically……what Axisa said.

23. Davey Vecchia says:

Trade for Garza and Soriano… Let Swisher DH or at 1st if Tex is out, and keep Ichiro in RF

24. Ted Nelson says:

I’m fine with no move if a great price for a player they want isn’t out there. This is why they add depth in the off-season / early season and develop prospects. The marginal cost of an aquisition just might not be worth it for the marginal benefit.

Drives me nuts to read “they have to do x.”

In terms of relievers… You keep acting like Joba is never coming back. Guy is at least as good a bet as any reliever a team is willing to give away.

No matter how many times you say it, decelerating a rehab schedule is not a setback if his rehab clock is still set for the same date. As far as we know, it is. A setback will necessarily set back your rehab clock or diminish your effectiveness when you return. We don’t really have an indication of either at this point.

25. gc says:

If George were alive right now….

he’d smell pretty bad.

26. Ken says:

“Adding a bench player to replace Ramiro Pena during A-Rod’s absence seems all to obvious.”
    It’s not too obvious to me. He’s a very skilled fielder, just as Martin is a very skilled catcher. Unless there is a top hitter on the market, I’d suggest the Yankees stick with the fielder that they know.

27. Timothy says:

I’m sorry, I just dont see the need in replacing Stewart as so great. It seems likes this site thinks he is terrible defensively and hits .188 (wait isn’t that our “starting” catchers avg?) Even if they did need to replace Cervelli would be more serviceable then any scrap heap catcher available.