Oct

Nix & Lowe make ALDS roster

(Mike Stobe/Getty)

Bits and pieces have trickled out over the last few days, but the Yankees finally announced their full 25-man roster for ALDS. It was officially due at 10am ET today. Here we go…

Pitchers (11): RHPs Hiroki Kuroda, Phil Hughes, Rafael Soriano, David Robertson, Joba Chamberlain, David Phelps, and Derek Lowe. LHPs CC Sabathia, Andy Pettitte, Boone Logan, and Clay Rapada.

Catchers (2): Russell Martin and Chris Stewart.

Infielders (7): 1B Mark Teixeira, 2B Robinson Cano, SS Derek Jeter, 3B Alex Rodriguez, IF Eduardo Nunez, IF Eric Chavez, and UTIL Jayson Nix.

Outfielders (5): Ichiro Suzuki, Curtis Granderson, Nick Swisher, Brett Gardner, and Raul Ibanez.

As expected, Andruw Jones did not crack the roster following his dreadful second half. Nix grabbed the last roster spot after working out the last few days and showing no ill-effects of the left hip flexor strain that sidelined him for a week. Having him on the bench will free up Joe Girardi to use Nunez a little more liberally, either as a pinch-hitter (for Ibanez against left-handers, primarily) or pinch-runner. Gardner has been cleared to swing the bat, but his main purpose will be pinch-running and defense.

Lowe beat out Ivan Nova and Cody Eppley for the final bullpen spot, which isn’t a big surprise. Nova has pitched terribly in the second half and Eppley is basically the same type of pitcher as Lowe, but he can’t go multiple innings or provide the whole “been there, done that” veteran experience thing. I’m curious to see how Phelps will be used, meaning as a true long man or a middle innings setup man. I have a feeling Lowe will get any important work in the fifth and/or sixth inning. Sabathia will start Game One tonight and be followed in order by Pettitte, Kuroda, and Hughes.

Categories : Playoffs

1. tipsie says:

Still not exactly sure why Gardner, at this point, is that much better than Dickerson.

• Joe says:

Better pinch runner. Better defender. Better hitter.

• Nice Scheister of Doom says:

When healthy. Dickerson has been healthily all season, Gardner had what 5ABs after his surgery and back with the big club? No doubt when healthy Gardner > Dickerson but in 2012 Dickerson > Gardner. I’m not sold on Gardner in 2012.

• Josh says:

Is he even a better pinch runner?Gardner has to be the most frustrating elite base stealer ever. He never runs or he waits deep in the counts….

• Matt says:

Dickerson should’ve made it. Agreed.

• Tom Morea says:

I agree with you Tipsie. I don’t believe he is going to be asked to hit. His duties might just be as a pinch-runner or to play defense. Personally, I do not have any faith in Gardner to steal bases. He seems very indecisive in attempting to steal. He doesn’t seem to have, the balls, shall we say, like Eduardo Scissorhands.

• Greg says:

I have heard that Gardner is the best defensive Left Fielder in the league. I just think in the 9th they would want Gardner Granderson and Ichiro in the outfield.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Because he’s the team’s starting leftfielder and, if he’s healthy, he’s on the roster.

2. Captain_Turbo says:

Looks like a championship team. Hope everyone can step up their game and perform.

3. Eddard reboot v.1.0 says:

This is the right roster. I’m guessing Cashman picked it because you know Joe would have went with his guys, Andruw Jones and Cody Eppley. This is the best team we’ve had since 09. Ichiro = Johnny. Raul = Hideki. And we’ve yet to win a WS without a replacement for those two.

• 28 this year says:

Well we also have only missed the playoffs once in the last 15+ years and we had those two on the team. I dont think having 40 year old Johnny and 40 year old but 50 year old knees Matsui would equal a world series ring just because of their presence.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

You pull so many things out of your ass that your tag line should be sponsored by K-Y.

4. Jose M. Vazquez says:

Could not have drawn up a better roster than this one. It has eveything that is needed to go forward. Now it’s up to each player to act his role well.

5. Austin Aunelowitzky says:

Best common sense roster selection ever.

6. Art Vandalay says:

Gardner is a horrible base runner who can’t hit. Dickerson is better overall. And I think Nova would be able to pull it together as a short relief pitcher. I’d trust him as much as Joba in a tight situation.

7. Nice Scheister of Doom says:

Jones had an awful second half, but he still can take any given pitcher deep at any given time. If Gardy or Nix aren’t 100% I could see Jones being added after his mom breaks his swing down, resulting in lightning in a bottle.

• jjyank says:

Heh. Is it too late to hire Mrs. Jones as a special hitting coach assistant for the playoff run?

• Nice Scheister of Doom says:

Pretty sure he’s Skypin’ mom dukes now getting ready as an injury replacement and/or the next round of the playoffs. When they advance, I’d be shocked if Jones wasn’t on the next round of rosters.

8. tipsie says:

Game goes into extras, Ibanez has been replaced by Nunez, now a RH reliever in, C-Dick’s bat would be much better than Gardner (and even a toss-up with Chavez at this point)

9. Samuel says:

Glad they didn’t include Andrew Jones but, I think they should have Ivan Nova

• Nice Scheister of Doom says:

I can see both sides of the coin but I feel the exact opposite. If it was between Lowe and Nova, Lowe is proven out of the pen and Nova has just been the Jones of the rotation and he’s sucked something awful as of late.

• The Real Greg says:

Agreed. Nova doesn’t deserve a postseason spot. Maybe this is just the thing he needs to work on his pitches next year.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I don’t know about “deserve.” It’s simply a matter of him not fitting in what the needs of the postseason roster are. Young pitchers struggle. His struggles just coincide with lousy timing.

• Tom Morea says:

With giving up 87 extra base hits, No!

• Donna says:

I agree Nova should have a spot.

• CS Yankee says:

He does, just not on the postseason roster.

Rewards need to go both ways, he doesn’t command his pitches this year nearly as well as he did last year…and the reward for that is being tied with Jones for the 26th man on the roster.

10. Jag says:

I wonder why Lowe over Garcia, not that I really care. I think they are both sort of a wash vs. each other, but Garcia was with the team longer.

• The Real Greg says:

Lowe had been pitching well down the stretch. Playoff experience is a wash between the 2 so it came down to that.

• CS Yankee says:

My guess is that Lowe is known as being the ground ball out type of pitcher whereas Freddy is more K or deep (or big) fly.

Goood problem to have is choices, I think At this time of year, that they made the correct one.

11. Get Phelps Up says:

I like it. The difference between Gardner and Dickerson is so small I couldn’t really care and Nova has never pitched out of the bullpen before.

• jjyank says:

This. Gardner does seem a bit indecisive at times when stealing bases, but as I mentioned above, he did lead the league in 2011. So as indecisive as he may seem at times, the guy is capable of stealing just as many, if not more, bases than Dickerson. As far as the hitting thing goes, how many at bats would either of them be getting anyway? Probably not enough to make a difference between the two.

And Nova….I can’t think of a single situation where I would be comfortable bringing in Nova, outside of a 10 run lead. The playoffs really aren’t the time to be putting a guy in a role that he’s never been in before.

12. JLC 776 says:

Ivan Nova, game 5 starter a year ago, not even making the roster (for good reason) this year.

It’s funny though, the pitching isn’t what worries me one bit. The offense drying out, ala last year and most of this year, is my only dread.

• The Real Greg says:

The bullpen is what scares me.

• Nice Scheister of Doom says:

Sori hasn’t looked sharp, D-Robs been inconsistent, Joba can’t strand an inherited runner to save his life, Boone can’t get a lefty out and Rapada walks lefties at a high clip. Hopefully since this has already happened, they kick it into the level of dominance earlier in the season when the pen was untouchable.

• Donna says:

How they picked Joba over Nova is beyond crazy. Granted Nova has had a few tough games, but so has CC, Robertson rally blew it a few times, and even Hughes had a few problems.

• CS Yankee says:

Disagree, IMO (and most others) keeping Nova (which is Spanish means ‘won’t go’) over Joba would be insane.

So I guess I’m in the “beyond crazy” but not “insane” camp.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

How they picked their 7th inning guy over their worst starter for a bullpen role is beyond crazy? Huh?

Joba last 11 appearances: 10.1 IP, 0.00 ERA, 13K, 1BB, opponents hitting 205/225/282.
            Nova in that timeframe: 13 IP, 6.23 ERA, 14K, 6BB, opponents hitting 283/356/547

Taking the guy who has been better by a country mile is crazy?

• Nice Scheister of Doom says:

If they would’ve tried Nova in the pen for a week or two ala AJ last year and sub’ed Nova for Lowe, I could see that side of the discussion but Joba over Nova is a no brainer, IMHO.

• Deep Thoughts says:

I mean, he’s still the same guy, and he’s not the worst pitcher in baseball by a long shot–but thank goodness the team has other options this year to turn to.

13. vin says:

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of carrying Eppley over Rapada. The Os are very right handed. Having Logan and Rapada available for Thome, Davis, and Mclouth seems like overkill. I’d rather have Eppley available to turn around Weiters, and deal with Jones, Reynolds and Hardy.

It’s a minor quibble, and probably won’t come down to it. I’m just surprised given the Os lineup, and how little Rapada was used down the stretch.

14. Tom Morea says:

I do not have confidence in the bullpen. I know Soriano has the 40 saves, but he has not looked good relieving lately. When Robertson comes in for set-up purposes, he usually throws 20 to 25 pitches an inning. Logan is very inconsistent, especially facing left hand hitters.
    Joba cannot be brought in with runners on base because he ultimately gives up the run-scoring hit. So, the bullpen is scary.

15. The Real Greg says:

Tigers pitchers are striking out A’s at a massive rate getting them to chase. That might work against the O’s as well. but if they face the Yankees they will need to locate given that the Yanks are not as apt to chase pitches.

16. tony says:

Gadner Joes little pet he will be in most of the games some how ???

17. I am not the droids you're looking for... says:

Interesting that there are 50 comments in this thread hand wringing over the selections for 24/25th roster spots – guys who, if they play a large role, something has gone wrong. That compares to three (3!) comments in the thread dissecting the starting pitcher we face in Game 1.

• Josh says:

I don’t think anyone here is concerned that they are going to have a large role. But every player matters, especially pinch runners. Remember Dave Roberts?Or Freddy Guzman? Every little situation is key. An extra steal last year, and maybe we don’t lose to the Tigers, or a pinch hitter…

• Nice Scheister of Doom says:

We need something to type about! It’s splitting hairs, yes, but its fun.

18. Travelbug83 says:

Because by the time something has gone horribly wrong already, doesn’t that make it even more important to fill that 24th/25th roster spot with the right people to not completely waste your chance of a shiny ring? Can’t say I don’t understand people talking about it.

• Travelbug83 says:

Hah, and that was obviously in reply to the droids we’re not looking for. Sorry, too early over here to navigate the internet.

19. CS Yankee says:

I support and agree to this roster 100%.

May need Phelps to start if this first round goes five.

The A’s, Braves & Rangers all showed some jitters, I don’t expect that from this group.

20. Robinson Tilapia says:

Apparently, from reading the comments here, Chris Dickerson is the second coming of Mickey Mantle.

21. CountryClub says:

There is not a team in baseball that would put Dickerson on the roster over a healthy Gardner. Gardner does everything better except for hit for power.

22. Austin Aunelowitzky says:

I don’t see it as Nix over Jones. If Nix is healthy he is on. I see it as Nunez over Jones. Right call.

23. Pat D says:

I miss football open threads. Because I don’t have a place to bitch about how fucking terrible the Giants look right now. I mean, they look like my high school team could beat them right now.

24. CS Yankee says:

I wonder how Joe told the players that didn’t make the 25-man roster?

When I coached Little League-All Stars, I was counciled to tell the kids (or parent that would call later) that missed and had a hard time about it was “if I could take two more, you would be one of them”. That way a player didn’t single out the kid whom he felt he was clearly better than or think if he just made that one play he would be there.

Can’t be easy for Joe but hopefully the near misses (Freddy, C-Dick, Nova, Eppley, Cerv’) get some reps in case someone goes down.

• JLC 776 says:

For some reason I love the idea of Ivan Nova’s mother calling Joe Girardi to give him a piece of her mind.

• vin says:

My favorite line I got as a kid was during the little league all star game. I asked to pitch, and the coach said that I was too good of an outfielder, and that he needed me in center. A least it wasn’t RF.

Even then I knew it was bullshit, but I appreciated the phony compliment.

25. Mike N says:

Agreed. Lowe over Nova and Eppley was a no-brainer. Lowe has stepped up in a few key situations and delivered since he was picked up.

• jjyank says:

I agree too. I kind of view Lowe and Eppley as cut from the same general cloth, only Lowe can actually face a lefty on occasion and can go multiple innings if needed. And for Nova, as I (and others) have said repeatedly up above, Nova has never pitched out of the bullpen before, and the playoffs are not the time of the year for experimentation.

I do wonder though, if the Yankees weren’t in such a tight race in September, if they would have tried Nova out in the pen at all to see what he might bring. Or maybe if they weren’t in a tight race, they would have kept him starting as well to try to get him right. I see both sides of that coin, but just some food for thought.

26. CountryClub says:

Gardner is staring over ichiro