Feb

Fan Confidence Poll: February 24th, 2014

2013 Season: 85-77 (637 RS, 671 RA, 77-85 pythag. record), didn’t qualify for playoffs
Spring Training Games This Week: vs. Florida State (Tues.), @ Pirates (Weds.), vs. Pirates (Thurs. on YES, MLBN), @ Tigers (Fri.), vs. Phillies (Sat. on YES, MLBN), @ Blue Jays (Sun. on MLBN)

Top stories from last week:

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.

Categories : Polls

1. Havok9120 says:

Last night I became irrationally excited and catalouged all the possible upside we’re got stored away on this roster. I’m also pretty freaking pumped for Gardner’s extention. AND baseball can be watched this week.

Screw it. Put me down for a nine.

2. Preston says:

They are passing on the greatest infielder of all time, my confidence is at 0 Cashmanfailed.

3. I'm One says:

I’m at an 11 due to actual baseball starting this week, but since that wasn’t on the scale, I voted a 7.

There’s some good upside on this team (with the inevitable question marks). The best news is that with the McCann, Ellsbury, Tanaka, Beltran & Gardner signing, it seems all talk of a $189M budget is out the window. The team is free to spend on players they feel are a reasonable value. They’ve shown restraint, so they’re not spending like drunken sailors, but they have spent. Good signs from my perspective.

Let’s play ball!

4. TWTR says:

I am not high on Cashman, but Big Hal has put his money where his mouth isn’t (since he said he would spend less), and that is exactly what this franchise needs to do: exploit their financial advantage. That makes me very optimistic.

Also, I am hopeful that Girardi can use his bullpen management skill to compensate for the reliever deficit.

• CS Yankee says:

If we scored the FO and not the team, my report card would be;
      Levine…2
      Cashman…5
      Hal…9 (8 for running the franchise, bonus point for Hank being quiet)

I’m at an eight because they seem to be moving in the right direction.

• vicki says:

see, it worked. they cut payroll by $25 million and have the fans thinking they shot the moon.

5. Tanuki Tanaka (Formerly Bob Buttons) says:

8 because we ain’t cheaping out yet and because I’ll probably be pretty down the next few weeks or so and it will balance out.

6. mustang says:

That’s my logical side, but my heart is thinking championship. If you follow Jeterism you can’t see it ending any other way.

7. Tanakapalooza Floozy says:

5 and holding steady. We’ve spent, which got me from a 4 to a 5 over the off season.

But long(er) term progress needs to be shown on the farm, and we need bounce backs/out performs from several places on the roster for me to move higher. Still think this is an 85-88 win team, and there’s no particular reason for me to think we’ll be much better in 2015 or beyond at this point. Until/unless I see it on the field (farm included), I’m a 5.

Still, I’m incredibly excited for the start of ST games and the regular season beyond.

Bought four tickets at face value for a Sunday in September. Need to take the fam to see Jeter at least one more time. Hope he’s playing then. Meaningful ball would be even better.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I’m sure I’ll overpay through Stubhub or the Exchange several times in September.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

Yyyyyep. Worth it!

• Masahiro Dinero says:

What pisses me off about that is that I logged into Ticketmaster as soon as possible to buy tickets for the last Sunday game, got stuck in search loops, and couldn’t buy any.

Then I go and check StubHub, and there are already over 5000 tickets listed there for that game at extremely inflated prices.

Times like now are when I side with the Yankees and other entertainment providers in their disdain for the secondary ticket market.

It’s one thing to sell tickets that you bought because you can’t use them… it’s just greed and opportunism to buy up tickets for the sole purpose of price gouging people that would want to go to the event.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Throughout high school, I made money camping out for concert tickets to shows i had little intention of attending and selling the tickets to brokers. Made some decent money out of it while partying pretty hard at night with others camping out. I’m no one to complain about that in the least.

I won’t buy any September tickets now. I’ll wait until the middle/end of the season to do that. Secondary market has been my default for years now, for better or worse.

• Masahiro Dinero says:

Yeah, I hear ya man… I’ve sold tickets via Stubhub before, but those were for games that I got tickets for and couldn’t attend anymore… but I get that there’s a business in flipping tickets for profit.

This is just the first time in a few years that I haven’t gotten my tickets at face value off of Ticketmaster for a Yankees game. I was even able to get my tickets off of Ticketmaster for Mo’s going away, and for the final game of the season last year.

Oh well, such is life.

I’m grabbing tickets for a few games over the summer, and then I’ll just keep my eye out for a deal on the hub later in the year after prices come down.

8. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

7. Nothing’s really changed. Enough out there to be very optimistic, but also realize there’s several spots for potential disappointment along the way.

We’ll see if the Diaz report is true but, no matter what, we certainly can’t fault them for not doing their due diligence there. Obviously, Bailey is too much of a long-term MLB wild-card to sway me in either direction, although I’m always a fan of a good Jon Lieber signing.

Scott Sizemore will save the day. Write that shit down. In permanent ink.

9. Coolerking101 says:

6. Decent off-season moves showed some life and commitment to winning that I had begun to question. However, how high can you realistically be on a roster made up of veteran guys who are either past their prime, on the decline or had had recent, serious injury issues? The upper level minor league talent is scary bad and the talented guys can’t stay healthy. The fact that Tyler Austin is hurt again, screams business as usual. My heart tells me that this veteran team has some magic left and will gut it out and make a run. My head, however, says that half the roster will be on the DL by the All-Star break and out of contention by August.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

“commitment to winning that I had begun to question.”

lol

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

If I had a brick wall to hit my head against right now, I would.

No offense to Coolerking, who I’ve seen comment here a ton, but I just don’t understand what franchise someone who says this has been watching for the past 30 years or so.

• stuckey says:

You know Jorge, I’m beginning to see the wisdom of contingent of Yankee fans who question the organization’s commitment to success and their ability to make decisions to lead to success.

That’s why more and more I’m incredibly grateful to not only MLB, but the other 3 major North American sports leagues as well for conspiring to arrange things so that a frugal, incompetent organization like the Yankees could inarguably be the most successful North American professional sports franchise during the last generation.

We should all consider ourselves lucky the system has been rigged in favor of our joke of an organization.

10. John Duci says:

10 and it should be a 10 for every Yankee fan on here. We signed Tanaka/Ells/Mcann and Beltran. All of them are going to be awesome this season. There’s only one hole on this team and it is 3 rd base. We are going to win the division anyone who is predicting us behind the rays just wants attention. Were the best most solid all around team in baseball besides maybe the cards and tigers but that’s it. And no on paper Iight now were not an 85 win team like you all keep saying were a 95 win team. Jeter and tex are going to be fine hey have had plenty I time to recov. With our offense and ou very strong rotation we area ping to send Jeter out on top no doubt about it. 10

11. stuckey says:

Ask me on June 1, otherwise the exercise is pointless.

People getting their (and taking their own) temperature on EVERYTHING in constant intervals is why virtues like patience and perspective are dying art forms.

• Rick says:

I know who I’m not inviting to my next birthday party.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

How about somewhere in between “pointless” and exact science?

• stuckey says:

Well, since by RAB’s own admission the ONLY things that happened this week was a player already on their roster was given an extension and they signed Andrew Bailey to a minor league contract, how or why anyone’s opinion would have changed since last Monday remains uncertain, so I’m going to stick pretty close to pointless.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Which I why I usually vote a baseline throughout the season.

I tend to ignore numbers and focus more on content. People will vote low and high numbers for pretty much the same rationable.

It’s an excuse for conversation in the end, even if its the conversation we’re having as to the usefulness of it.

• jjyank says:

I honestly barely even look at the actual numbers, and don’t even vote most weeks. But the comments are generally interesting. And it gives us an opportunity to talk about the general picture of the team, as opposed to a specific player or a specific situation via a normal post.

• The Great Gonzo says:

YOu know what else is pointless??? Ranking Prospects… Amirite?

• lightSABR says:

You know what’s really pointless? Watching a guy swing some wood at a ball flying through the air, then start running in a circle while other people play catch.

Yet somehow I’m still grinning about Thursday. :)

• vicki says:

okay, this has got to be schtick.

12. Rick says:

I voted a 10 … because God Bless the Yankees and no one else. Or something like that.

13. Kiko Jones says:

Holding steady at 6.

14. Darren says:

According to Girardi, Jeter is moving around better than he’s ever seen him. The exact quote is that “Derek is looking like a flashier Rey Ordonez, with better range than a young Ozzie Smith and hands that make Mark Belanger look like Eduardo Nunez.”

Count me in for a 100!

15. steves says:

I am at a nine and going north. The best indication to me that the Yanks have re-loaded very nicely (and what should have been listed as a top story from last week) is the Lucchino/Levine barbs. When your competition is already complaining about what you did in the off-season I’d say that is a pretty good sign of what they are anticipating for 2014.

• lightSABR says:

It could also be that your competition are so addicted to whining that they can’t even stop when they’ve just won a World Series.

I’ve never bought into any other sports rivalry – I tend to think they’re silly – but man, I really do hate the Red Sox.

16. mahkk says:

In all seriousness, I like where we are right now. Could be better, would be nice if the infield was better and we had more prospects obviously. However, we have a good all around team with speed, contact, power etc. Plus, with the addition of these players and the lack of A-rod, plus we’re minus Cano’s nonchalance, I think this team has more grit and fight to them than the last few years. IF they can stay healthy and IF the starting rotation can be decent, I think we’ll go places.

17. The Great Gonzo says:

My gut said 8, but then i realized it was irrationally high based on being so close to baseball…

So here we are, back at the 7s

18. dkidd says:

why?

because f*ck lucchino, that’s why

19. vicki says:

still riding the euphoria from the gritner extension, and the clippers beating the thunder @okc. 7!