Apr

Thoughts following the Opening Day loss

(Scott Halleran/Getty)

(Scott Halleran/Getty)

I know I just did a thoughts post yesterday, but there’s a bunch of stuff going on after Opening Day and none of it is worth a full post. This is the worst time of the season because we know the samples are still way too small to mean anything, but what else are we supposed to talk about? Baseball, man. It can be cruel.

1. I’m really curious to know what adjustment CC Sabathia made after the second inning last night. There had to be something, he looked like a completely different pitcher in his last four innings than he did his first two. Joe Girardi told Dan Barbarisi his pitches were cutting early and Sabathia told Bryan Hoch he was too amped up, but that doesn’t help us any. If there was a tangible adjustment made, that’s good. You want to be able to point to something specific for the improvement, something real. Everything gets magnified on Opening Day, that’s just the way it is, and Sabathia was far from impressive on Tuesday. I am looking forward to seeing his next outing though. Something changed after that second inning.

2. The offense was mostly a no show on Opening Day, but I thought Mark Teixeira looked really good. He hit a ball to the warning track in his first at-bat, ripped a line drive to right that sliced just foul in his second time up, then slapped a single the other way later in the game. He also drew a walk and saw 18 total pitches in four trips to the plate. Teixeira said he is still a little apprehensive about his surgically repaired wrist at the end of camp, which is a concern for obvious reasons, but he didn’t show it last night. He swung hard, made some solid contact, and he’s seeing the bell wall. Does that mean he’ll be fine going forward? Who knows. This one game, those four at-bats, were encouraging.

3. I’m fully on board with batting Brett Gardner seventh after being on the fence about it at first. Yeah, he would serve as the second leadoff man by batting ninth, but I think batting him seventh does a better job of helping the middle of the order. Gardner’s whole thing is not making outs, and by batting him closer to the middle of the lineup, he’ll get more of an opportunity to extend rallies and cap them off. The middle of the order is the key to everything; Brian Roberts and Kelly Johnson aren’t going to generate much offense no matter where they slot into the lineup. Batting Gardner two spots higher to get that one extra good hitter behind Teixeira and Alfonso Soriano gives them more of a chance to turn rallies into runs. Instead of being a leadoff guy, he’ll be expected to drive in some runs. Plus he might get an extra at-bat once in a while.

(Mike Stobe/Getty)

(Mike Stobe/Getty)

4. I am wrong all the time, about everything, yet I’m still surprised at how wrong I’ve been about this last bench spot stuff. Literally every step of the way. I thought they’d take Scott Sizemore, then when it was clear he was out of the running, I thought they’d take Eduardo Nunez. When they didn’t take Nunez, I thought they’d keep him in Triple-A as insurance. Instead, he was designated for assignment yesterday to make room on the roster for Yangervis Solarte. Wrong, every step of the way. Even by my terrible standards, that’s amazing. The Yankees don’t have much shortstop depth now — Addison Maruszak figures to be the starter in Triple-A with Nunez gone — especially with Brendan Ryan out for a few weeks, so they’ll probably have to keep an eye on the waiver wire for an extra body.

5. Dellin Betances is going to be my favorite sidebar this season. He was great in relief last year, very good in Spring Training, and just electric last night. Betances has been in the farm system for an eternity and he’s had a ton of ups and downs, and we’ve watched them just about every step of the way. It’s great to finally see him find some sustained success and a niche in the bullpen. His stuff is obviously excellent, and now that he’s throwing strikes regularly, Betances can be a late-inning force. There is plenty of opportunity in the bullpen with a clear path to higher leverage seventh and eighth inning work, so this is a good time for everything to be clicking. Very much looking forward to seeing more.

6. As a team, the Yankees saw 138 pitches in last night’s game. That isn’t a huge number, but out of their 150 nine-inning games last year, they saw 138+ pitches only 72 times. Less than half the time. The 2014 offense had a bad day on Opening Day and yet they still saw pitches at a higher rate than last year’s squad. Roberts did the heavy lifting with 20 pitches in his four trips to the plate while Gardner, Teixeira, and Soriano saw 18 apiece. That was by far the worst part of the 2013 offense. They made a ton of outs and they were mostly quick outs, two or three pitch at-bats. This group isn’t like the 2004-12 lineups or anything, but they make the pitcher work for whatever he gets. It’s refreshing.

Categories : Musings

1. TWTR says:

I read that Teix said that his wrist will never be the same, but if that means taking it the other way at times batting LH, it could be a positive.

2. marechal says:

CC was awful, but he still had 9 K/9, 1.5 BB/9 and a 60% ground ball rate. I’m going on a limb to say that if he keeps this up, he’ll be more than fine. I doubt that 50% of his fly balls will keep going over the fence.

• nyyankfan_7 says:

If he throws 50% of his pitches that result in flyballs where he threw them last night than I beg to differ. He set those home run balls on a tee for some not so good players and they did what any major leaguer should be able to do with them – play home run derby like it’s BP.

• marechal says:

Most pitches that are hit for a home run look very bad in retrospect. And yet, they generally don’t fly over the fence more than 10% of the time. Phil Hughes – who as you recall used to throw lots of meatballs – never had a HR/FB over 12.4% for a season. If he keeps striking out one batter an inning, walking nobody, and getting tons of groundballs, there’s no way he won’t be a very productive pitcher.

3. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Great read, Mike. Very interested as well in what happened after the second inning and who was involved. Maybe this is the start of a beautiful CC/McCann bromance.

• OB/GYN Kenobi, Jedi bushmaster says:

Exactly. I cited Mike’s 1) in the prior thread for exactly this question. What – if any – adjustment was made? If it’s something tangible and repeatable, awesome. But if it was the Astros just remembering to be the Astors then….not so good.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I’ve seen young and supposedly “bad” teams rise to the task before. While there’s certainly some placeholder guys on that team for sure, there are solid prospects there. A “bad” team can easily make a “superior” one look awful foolish sometimes.

This is where the obligatory reference to a certain three-game series against the Nats in ’09 gets brought up time and time again.

They’re going to look like the 2013 Astros more often than not. At some points this season, they’re going to look like the 2018 Astros (or at least what they hope that looks like.)

• OB/GYN Kenobi, Jedi bushmaster says:

Oh absolutely. Any day, any team blah blah blah. Just like the NFL :)

Also, scrappy underdogs definitely love to play spoiler. True even in little league.

• lightSABR says:

I’m anything but a trained scout, but I don’t think it’s the Astros that changed. To me, it looked like Sabathia was already starting to hit his spots better by the end of the first inning, and his command looked pretty solid after the second. I haven’t a clue whether the adjustment is repeatable, but Sabathia’s pitching rally did improve.

• lightSABR says:

Er, really did improve.

• Mike HC says:

Seems to me that will probably be the story of his season though. When he gets in a groove, he can run through a lineup, but when his location is off throwing three pitches between 80-90 mph, he will get hit hard. Which hopefully ends up with him being a solid mid rotation starter, rather than a replaceable back end guy.

• lightSABR says:

Right. He’s going to have innings like that. The question is whether they’re going to be every fifth game, every other game, or every game.

• jjyank says:

Yeah. I’m still nervous about CC, but I’m very willing to give him a leash of a few more starts before I give any credence to the “take CC out back and shoot him” crowd. I know he was awful last year, but he was also so good for so long, and looked pretty good in spring training, so he should get a longer leash than many are around these parts.

It was one start, and really, it was two innings. He settled down nicely, and I’d like to see how that carries over into his next start.

4. chris says:

The season is lost!!!

I actually had someone come up to me at work and say that today. Maybe they think this is football, I don’t know…

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Maybe it was “bring your child to work” day. :)

• jjyank says:

Apparently last night was “bring your child to the RAB comment section” day.

• Tommy says:

I saw you in the comment section, SO you could definitely be on to something.

• jjyank says:

I was referring to the recap thread, which I was not involved in, actually.

But go ahead, defend the guys calling Girardi and Long cowards, claiming that Tex and Soriano are “out of control”, and that the Yankees “weren’t even trying to win.”

I’m sure that’ll make you seem rational.

• Tommy says:

Relax dude. Not everyone is going to say “Oh well no big deal we got our ass embarrassed by the worst team in baseball on opening day.”

I mean just because you think that is awesome doesn’t mean anyone else will.

• jjyank says:

There’s a big difference between rationality and some of the childish things said in that thread. If you don’t agree…well then that says quite a lot about you.

Sarcastic personal attacks don’t change that. Nice try though.

• vicki says:

i just went back a re-read, with this morning’s additions. it’s awesome. but on reflection, i think i got straight trolled by NH. he’s the same guy who demanded cc be moved down in the rotation. that’s good stuff.

5. Rick says:

Does anyone else have a major problem with Girardi pulling the infield in during the first inning of the first game of the season? CC would’ve got out of that inning having only given up 1 run. Altuve hit what would’ve been a routine grounder if Jeter was positioned normally. The ball that Teixeira fielded and tried to come home with would’ve been the third out of the inning. Why risk putting your team in a huge hole (like what resulted) so early in the game? I was more angered with Girardi that inning than CC. Give a team 5 outs in an inning and the big hit will occur – even if it’s the AAAAstros. I think this needs to be talked about more.

• Eddardo Nuney says:

Girardi has always overmanaged. From IBBing Sean Rodriguez to bringing in 10 pitchers to pitch 1 2/3rd of an inning, Girardi is an overmanager. You should never pull your IF in the 1st inning just as you shouldn’t sac bunt in the 1st inning but Girardi does it anyway.

• OB/GYN Kenobi, Jedi bushmaster says:

I have a problem with it. If you’re going to over manage like this, then also pinch hit Cervelli for Johnson late in the game with men on.

Do neither, or both.

But at least we didn’t intentionally walk anyone.

• Vern Sneaker says:

Ridiculous move by Girardi, and we got burned by it. I was, like, wtf?

• JGYank says:

Yeah it was a bad move. CC needed outs there since he had a really high pitch count and was struggling and we should have faith that we can score against the Astros. People are forgetting the defense let CC down tonight too and that only added fuel to the fire.

• LK says:

I’m hopeful that once Joe gets re-introduced to an MLB-caliber offense he’ll adjust accordingly.

Heh.

I disagreed with the move, though probably not as strongly as some of the folks above. It was a gamble and it didn’t work. I wouldn’t have made that gamble, but I understand the rationale.

6. The Thumb says:

How long until Dellin is the set up guy?

• gbyanks says:

when i actually want it to be? Tonight. When i realistically think it will be? June.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

June.

We haven’t seen Kelley yet, though. Maybe he really is up to the task.

• TWTR says:

I think it will be a stealth move. He will gradually be used more and more in high leverage situations until we start to realize that he has the role.

• jjyank says:

You’re probably right. Girardi will probably just start alternating them through the 8th inning and cite things like match ups and getting the guy some rest as the reasoning. If Dellin continues to pitch like last night though, he will be the 8th inning guy before the All-Star Break.

• SamVa says:

this. (he obviously needs to prove he can do what he is doing in a non spring training environment)

pre 7th- Warren- Kelley (weird reverse splits)
      7th – Nuno/Phelps
      8th- Betances
      9th- D-Rob

Match-up Thornton

Biggest problem would be if we need a Righty matchup or the fireman role that DRob has always played– we don’t really have that- maybe Betances? Phelps doesn’t do well (albeit small sample size) with runners on.

• Leftylarry says:

HOW LONG BEFORE BETANCES IS THE CLOSER?

7. Eddardo Nuney says:

1. Too amped up? This guy has been doing this for a decade in MLB. And if he was amped up why was he only throwing 89 mph? He needs to learn how to pitch better.

2. Teix is going to have a good season. It’s all about health with him.

3. I agree. Double lead off don’t do you much good when 7 and 8 hitters keep killing rallies created by the middle of the order. The better hitter should bat 7th, not 9th.

4. The DFA of Eduardo Nuney will curse this team for as long as the Great Bambino cursed the Sox.

5. I love this bullpen. It’s full of youth, unlike the rest of the roster. They’ve finally given the kids a chance. Anchored by Kelley and Robertson but the kids will play a huge role in this season.

6. Last year’s club were hackers because they weren’t very good and wanted to jump on the 1st pitch FB. This year’s club will be patient. The only hacker is Soriano and I think we want him to hack and hit that mistake pitch. It’ll be a much better offense.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

The Bambino “cursed” the Sux because he was good.

Nunez isn’t good by any stretch of the imagination. A back-up infielder who can’t field is about as useful as a DH who can’t hit.

• lightSABR says:

He has to be joking, right? I mean, that’s a little ridiculous even for him.

Or I guess he might be overreacting to the loss of his namesake. Which is understandable.

• nyyankfan_7 says:

Joking? Have you never seen this guy post?

I’ve only seen one joke from this guy and it was the most cruel joke in the history of my time at RAB, worse than Mike’s April Fool’s Day pranks and it went like this:

EDDARD:

“That’s it, I’m done with this blog and I will never post again”

That wasn’t it word for word but it’s close to it….and it still haunts me.

Amen to that.

Can we just stop responding to this idiot? He straight up admitted to being a troll last year, and people are still feeding him.

• lightSABR says:

He did? When? I missed it, and I’ve been operating on the assumption that he’s sincere but misguided.

• jjyank says:

It was at the end of last season, I forget what post. vicki called him out on it and he admitted that she was right and he was in fact trolling.

And hell, he even ran with a handle of Eddard/Syrio Forel/Occasional Troll for awhile back in the day. The dude’s an idiot little troll and we all need to ignore him.

• vicki says:

i called him a misunderstood brilliant satirist; he gleefully copped to that and “retired.”

he makes me laugh. i don’t know why you guys let him get to you.

(i was convinced for a time that darren was another of his characters, all that jeter breaking the all-time hit record ridiculousness last year.)

• jjyank says:

He doesn’t get to me. I don’t even respond to him. I just wish everyone else would do the same.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I actually believe Darren is being 100% himself and not a character.

I like Darren, though, even when he’s driving me up the wall on here.

• vicki says:

i do too, now. though he’s not without his shtick.

• Darren says:

Thanks, man. Yeah for the record, I don’t think I’ve ever really trolled. And I may have done a poor job of it, but my point about Jeter breaking the all time hits record was not to troll, but to point out a flaw in the logic that everyone uses to evaluate him. Anyway, that train has sailed.

• jjyank says:

It’s okay, Darren. I generally like your comments too. Whether it’s rational or not, optimism can be refreshing in these comment sections.

Keep doing your thing, buddy. I won’t get on your case.

• DUDE FOREGT THE CURSE NUNEY IT WILL BE THE CURSE OF ROBINSON CANO THAT WILL HAUNT THE YANKEES FOR YEARS AND YEARS TO COME

• Leftylarry says:

Not really, more the curse of Cashman, who presided over a bad minor leagues, bad drafting, bad trading and bad free agent signings.
        Red Sox will have statues of both Cash and Joe Torre in front of the Stadium someday.

• marechal says:

Totally agree with Soriano over Beltran. Soriano has been an average outfielder in the past few years, whereas Beltran has been somewhere between well below-average and awful. I’ll take the weaker arm with more range.

8. SamVa says:

Random question– is there more value if say a .240/.310/.400 hitters sees 4.8 pitches per plate appearance then a .250/.320/.400 who sees about 4.2?

I obviously made those numbers up.. Roberts sparked the question.

• Mike Axisa says:

I’m not sure. My guess is the benefit of seeing more P/PA is smaller than the hit from the lower OBP.

• OB/GYN Kenobi, Jedi bushmaster says:

I’d take .250/.320/.400 and 4.2 for sure. If you have all 9 guys doing this you get:

27 outs
      9 hits
      4 walks

(That’s actually .250/.325 but close enough)

40 PAs * 4.2 pitches per PA = 168 pitches, which is a high number. And, you get more hits.

/overthinking

• mitch says:

I know those number were just tossed out there randomly, but 4.2 is still a pretty decent number, so i’d definitely take the extra OBP. Even if we switched it up to something like 3.5 vs 4.5 which is a better representation of hacker vs patient hitter, i think OBP wins out.

• SamVa says:

I think I used too high of a number– if you were at 4.8 you would be .21 p/pa above the highest in baseball last year. Which would be highly unlikely if you were hitting .240

Should have researched that first.

Just another stat to back up how good Trout is— Of the top ten hitters in baseball in TB (which he is 3rd) he sees 4.21 p/pa. The next highest is 4.04

• LK says:

I think if there’s a difference in the quality of the hitter, you take the better hitter every single time. P/PA is really a tie-breaker of sorts for guys who are similar hitters otherwise. The biggest thing that determines how many pitches a guy has to throw in an inning is the number of batters he has to face, so not making outs is king pretty much regardless of the goal in mind.

• jjyank says:

Yup. The difference in OBP means that one guy is getting on base when the other guy isn’t. I’d take that over having the opposing pitcher throw a couple more pitches.

• vicki says:

obviously, the more pitches a team as a whole sees, the greater the odds they’ll see the opposing team’s fourth-best reliever: that’s valuable. (ra carleton explored this sideways in an analysis of the value of a complete game on BP yesterday.) having said that, adam dunn saw a lot of pitches last year; robbie cano did not (never has).

9. JGYank says:

Few points. Hoping CC just had opening day nerves in the first couple of innings. Looked fine after that. He should be able to still get Ks and limit walks so I’ll think hell have a decent season. Only 1 game. Still after last year if we had a one game playoff right now, there are 3 maybe even 4 starters I would hand the ball to before him, but that’s more of a compliment to the rotation than a knock on CC. Not too confident in him but he can definitely turn it around. Has the rest of the year to do so.

Loved betances last night and all spring. Hit 99. Haven’t seen that from this team like ever. Nuno looked good as well.

Tex looks good and he’s walking a lot recently. He’ll need to keep that up of the shift keeps taking away hits. Like Gardy batting 7th. He’s better and more of a sure thing than roberts or johnson so he gets more ABs than them and could steal bags without being afraid to run.

Also anyone else think sori over Beltran in rf? I could live with Beltran but I think sori is simply the better option in the field unless he needs a DH day.

10. Joe R says:

From Sabathia himself about his mechanics via LoHud:

Sabathia explained the mechanics of why his pitches were cutting in the early innings. “I wanted to try to back off and not overthrow,” he said. “When I do that, I tend to cut myself short and that’s when the balls cut. My changeup cuts, my fastball was cutting. It’s just me not really getting extended and letting the ball go out in front. It’s just cutting it off and that’s what makes it cut.”

· Sabathia said he didn’t really start throwing his new cutter until mid-game. “From the fourth inning on,” he said. “Fourth, fifth and sixth I started throwing the cutter and it was really good. Something me and Brian talked about: it’s horrible when I throw it in the bullpen, but regardless of what it is in the bullpen, when I get into the game it’s a pretty good pitch. We got some ground balls with it, got some swings and foul balls, got some early strikes. I think it will be in the mix a lot more going forward.”

• OB/GYN Kenobi, Jedi bushmaster says:

Glad to hear he had two things to point to for the mid game shift in results.

• jjyank says:

It’s definitely a bit reassuring. Maybe he’s gained some confidence in that cutter and will start mixing it in more if it works.

11. LarryM Fl says:

CC is no Andy Pettitte as of now. He will learn to pitch better or he’ll suffer outings such as last night. Pitch backwards CC, pitch backwards accept this reality. You can still win my friend.

Can we blame Teix. for being self conscious of his wrist as the season goes along we will see power and durability return.

Not much choice but to bat Gardner 7th. Get your best hitters up as often as you can.

Scissor hands is gone. The Yankees pulled the pin. They had to see if there was an alternative to him. Can you imagine that.

Enjoyed Betances and Nunno pitch. Maybe CC should watch video of the crafty lefty.

IMHO seeing pitches may set up the pitcher especially if you miss the mistake. Good hitters hit the first good one. Why be defensive at the plate. Be offensive.

• JGYank says:

Well the more you swing the less you walk. You would also strike out less but you would still have a lower OBP and you’re giving the pitcher more easy outs. If you swing too often your OBP would be close to your BABIP since you wouldn’t walk much. League average BABIP is around .300 I think so your OBP really wouldn’t be too much higher than that.

• Poconos Adam says:

I am certainly no pitching expert, but CC appeared to be trying to be a 2 pitch pitcher in those firs two innings (certainly in the first)….and when you have what, 6 MPH difference on the fastball to change….you’re just throwing BP.

He probably needs to use his secondary stuff early on nights like that — even in a ‘show me’ mode.

Someone needs to tell him to bring it all from the 1st inning — he can’t just blow people away….he doesn’t have that luxury anymore.

Once he was mixing in the other stuff, the Astros didn’t hit him…..

12. I'm One says:

I made a comment this morning in the game recap thread, but re-posting here for those that didn’t see it (’cause it kinda belongs here anyway):

A few positive take-aways from last night’s game:

1) Teixiera got 2 hits. Has to be more than he’s had in the month of April in each of the last 3 years, right?
    2) Jeter got a typical “Jeterian” hit to RF
    3) CC settled down after the first 2 innings
    4) Dealin’ Dellin
    5) Vidal Nuno

And, no injuries!

It’s a long season. Plenty of time to go on a long winning streak.
    #teampollyanna

13. anon_coward says:

2011 Yanks were in 3rd and 4th place until may or june of that year

one game means nothing

• nyyankfan_7 says:

1 game means nothing……until you’re one game out of the Wild Card after game 162.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

More accurately: One game means nothing as far as how good your team is moving forward. You can’t draw any meaningful conclusions from yesterday’s game.

14. Sweet Lou's Red Ass says:

That looked like vintage CC. Meaning, get lit up in the first and second and then settle down for the next 3 or 4 innings. Anyone who thinks CC is gonna magically turn into a crafty lefty is fooling themselves. Don’t be surprised if Kuroda look slike a 39 year old pitcher either.

Good news is Nova, Tanaka and Pineda should pick up a ton of the slack. By the end of the year, we’re gonna know the real order of the rotation:

#1a Nova
    #1b Tanaka
    #3 Pineda (subject to innings issues)
    #4 Phelps
    #5 CC

• JGYank says:

I was unaware Kuroda booked a vacation to Japan at the end season.

• Sweet Lou's Red Ass says:

I don’t see Kuroda lasting the season in the rotation.

• JGYank says:

Unless he tires out and needs to skip some starts or pitch less innings, he should be one of our better starters.

• Sweet Lou's Red Ass says:

Obviously time will tell, but everyone is assuming that Kuroda will somehow beat father time. I don’t think so; I think his fade starts a lot earlier than August this year.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

No one can prevent you from seeing things as negatively as you desire.

• Darren says:

Did you read the positive comments about Tanaka, Nova and Pineda? I don’t think it’s being overly negative to think Kuroda might flame out while the younger members of the rotation do a good job.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Father Time showed up in Montero-ish shape to ST this season.

15. Luisergi says:

I’m a sucker for fielding gloves, and Tex looks weird with that black mitt.

CC changed his too, a little “lighter” than the nike he used to wear (dark brown), he used that model for years, since his Cleveland days.

Now I remember that when he first came here, on opening day 2009, he came out with a black nike glove, just like the one he uses on spring training, he got roughed up by… the orioles?? yeah I think it was the orioles but I’m digressing, and after that he went back to the old dark brown. May be he’ll pull that old mitt again for his second start.

16. Matt DiBari says:

Between the bad defense and bringing the infield in, everything that could have possibly gone wrong in that first inning did. I wonder if that hurt Sabathia too.

17. wallypip says:

I don’t understand all of the preseason hate for Tex’s power. I doubt he’ll ever hit near .300 again, but if he’s healthy, he’s good for 30-35 HRs. I think if he’s completely healthy he’s closer to 40.

18. Wheels says:

Jeter’s opposite field hit was encouraging. Hit the ball sharply

19. Pineda Colada says:

After watching teix knock that oppo single I had thoughts of him learning to hit against the shift resulting in a 290ish BA

20. Pinedamaybegreata (formerly Monterowasdinero) says:

I like Gardy batting 7th. Possibly leading off the 3rd inning against a pitcher who has looked good through two gives us a patient and pesky leadoff batter. Also love speed at the bottom of the order and a lefty (Roberts) batting behind him helps with the steal just a little bit….

21. gageagainstthemachine says:

It was definitely not a pretty game. Offense was totally anemic. CC looked absolutely lost the first two innings. I haven’t yelled at the tv screen like that since probably the 2001 WS (lots of positive and negative yelling that 7 game series). But, it is just one game and there are positives. Last year, Jeter would’ve had a broken arm like Granderson got (twice) last year. Tex wasn’t available last year and showed signs of good life yesterday. Betances was beastly and Nuno looked impressive. I have this weird feeling that either tonight or tomorrow they are going to dominate the Astros and show the fans what this 2014 Yankees squad is really like and send a message to the rest of baseball to watch out and not read into Opening Day too much. A good reminder for us all actually.

22. Chip Rodriguez says:

The curse of Nuney thing is absurd.

If Nunez really tried to curse the Yankees, with his aim he’d have probably hit the Orioles.

23. NHYankeefan11 says:

I am very concerned about CC…looks just like last year.

The fact these guys won’t take advantage of the shift is amazing. Tex finally did it before Soriano promptly pulled an outside pitch to hit into a double play.

However I think the Yankees win the division despite all this. Even if CC continues to pitch like a #5 starter the rest of the rotation is very good. Kuroda was the real ace last year and will have a very good year starting tonight. I am very excited about the kids…Nova Pineda and Cy Tanaka who is the real deal.

The lineup is much better than last year. As frustrating it is to see most of them not take advantage of the shift pretty much every team does the same thing.

• CS Yankee says:

I’m confused…didn’t you claim just this morning that they’ll win less games than last year and know you have them winning the divison?

Stay away from bridges with those random thoughts, kid.

• CS Yankee says:

err, now

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

He thinks the Black Death is going to sweep through Boston, Baltimore(SHIT), Toronto and Tampa.

• NHYankeefan11 says:

No I never said the Yankees wouldn’t win the division this year. You got me confused with someone else.

I did express my displeasure that the Yankees don’t take advantage of the shift and over how CC looked which caused my to get into it a bit with Jorge Steinbrenner and a few others on the other reaction thread from last night.

It’s all in the thread if you care to be accurate before confusing what I actually said.

I think this team will send the Captain out on a high note.

24. CS Yankee says:

The M’s (Marlins and Mariners) are running away with their divisions and have scored the most runs in the game by far.

thingsyoucan’tsaycomemay’d

25. losealot101 says:

i didn’t read through all the comments above, however here’s cc’s opening day record as a yankee:

2013: 4 ER in 5 innings
    2012: 5 ER in 6 innings
    2011: 2 ER in 6 innings
    2010: 5 ER in 6 innings
    2009: 6 ER in 4.1 innings

bottom line is that i’m not worried yet.

26. Tom Gardner says:

Yankees 2014 Preview: Not 2013, Not Quite 2009, Either: http://www.borntorunthenumbers.....ain-i.html