Jan

Open Thread: Catching up on some Yankee rumors

Yankees Teixeira Baseball

Now, that guy looks pretty good in pinstripes, eh? As the Yanks welcomed their newest addition today, let’s catch up on some rumors.

• Bobby Abreu is still looking for a three-year, $48-million offer, and I’m looking for a rainbow with a leprechaun and a pot of gold at the end of it. Neither of us are going to find what we’re looking for, and Jerry Crasnick says that no one is really interested in Abreu.
  • Ken Rosenthal reports that Xavier Nady and Nick Swisher are “drawing significant interest.” Joe will have more on this for the overnight tonight, but to sum up my thinking, the Yanks don’t really need to trade anyone right now. Unless they are blown away by an offer, they are far better off holding Swisher and Nady than they are trading them right now.
  • In the same piece, Rosenthal drops in a tidbit about Brian Fuentes. Apparently, Fuentes’ agent tried to pitch the closer to the Yanks as a possible set-up man and future heir to Mariano Rivera‘s throne. The Yanks weren’t interested in paying Fuentes closer money and never made an offer. While some folks in the Mark Teixeira press conference liveblog believed that this news shows that the Yanks are nervous about the 8th inning, I completely disagree. They weren’t keen on bringing in Fuentes, and it seems as though the closer’s agent just wanted the Yankees in on the negotiations. Nothing to see there really.

Anyway, use this as your open thread for the night. Anything goes. Just play nice.

Update by Mike (7:04pm): The Yanks signed outfielder John Rodriguez to a minor league deal. The Bombers originally signed J-Rod as an international free agent back undrafted free agent out of an NY area high school back in ’96 for $1,000. He has a 110 OPS+ in 332 big league at-bats, which came for the Cardinals back in ’05 & ’06.

Categories : Open Thread

1. GG says:

Nice that you guys updated the depth chart, ESPN still hasnt, I think they refuse to realize that Tex is on the Yanks, not the Sawx

2. Matt says:

Lol @ Fuentes. Dude’s a walking elbow injury.

3. Mike Pop says:

I cant believe Scoscia? signed a deal till 2018.. Ridiculous

• Matt says:

Bad deal for him? Or the Angels?

• Mike Pop says:

I dont necessarily think its a bad deal for either of them. I just cant believe they would give him that many years. But it obviously could not be a bad deal for him, the more gauranteed money, the better.

• Matt says:

True.

They’ve obviously got a shot at that division–my high school team does–but I think if the A’s sign Giambi, they’ll squeak out with the title.

Where does everyone think the WC is coming from this year? I’m saying AL East again.

• Mike A. says:

That’s freaking nuts. They can’t fire him now. You just can’t do it with that much time and that much money left on his deal.

• Mike Pop says:

Unless they have some kind of clause where they can get out of it if he does not reach a certain level of success or some other stuff. He is a good manager and all but giving him that many years is just crazy. Maybe there is somethign in the contract though where it won’t look so crazy. His teams kill us though. Arg!

• Jake H says:

When I saw that I was shocked. Is that the longest extension for a manager?

• E-ROC says:

That’s not ridiculous. Mike Scoscia, ZOMG TEH GREATEST MANAGER ALIVE!!!!!11111!!!

• Matt says:

SmA1L bAlL i$ tEh GreAtE$t!!!!11!1111!

• Jay CT says:

Um, actually, I don’t think it is a bad arguement to say that he is one of the best managers in the league; therefore, the stupid lower case upper case (which is getting more annoying by the day, especially now that dollar signs are part of it) may not be unwarranted, lol.

(No personal to you Matt- Just think the whole impersonating “stupid” fans is getting old and is just really, REALLY not funny anymore, especially since most people don’t act stupid on this site)

4. Mike Pop says:

Its funny how Red Sox fans will say we bought our championship by spending all this money if we win one. But they spent from what I have seen 209 million over the 2006 offseason to bring in Daisuke, Drew, and Lugo. Then they won a championship but really both Drew and Lugo were shit until Drew did well in the playoffs and Dice-K was good but not amazing. So we spent 34 million more than them and got 3 much better players, no? Why wasn’t such a big deal made back then when it happened? Was it because they were not the 3 “top” free agents. Im saying 209 million is a good amount of money and I feel like a big deal was not made about this.

• RichYF aka sooooo tired of the "namedrop says hello" meme says:

180+82.5+161 != 209+34

• Mike Pop says:

Im saying 209 million is a good amount of money and I feel like a big deal was not made about this that.

Fixed

• RichYF aka sooooo tired of the "namedrop says hello" meme says:

I was mostly replying to the “34 million more than them”

But yes, your point is definitely valid. And I agree.

My take on it is that the total figure was only marginally evaluated then and the sportswriters pulled a “oh man we missed an opportunity to rant about $209 million” and made sure not to miss that opportunity when the Yanks did it. That make sense?

5. E-ROC says:

Welcome back J-Rod!

6. Raul says:

Fuentes what a joke. Rodriguez is intriguing. Hmm. Lets take a flier on Mark Prior too

7. UWS says:

Let’s go Devils! *clap clap clap-clap-clap*

8. Mike Pop says:

Reynolds and Leiter getting into it, lol.

9. E-ROC says:

Ohio State blows another BCS game. Just awful.

10. E-ROC says:

Candace Parker is a better basketball player than Sheldon Williams. She probably earn more money in her playing career than Williams, though she’ll have ways to go catch with him. Dumb Hawks.

11. The Evil Empire says:

• The Evil Empire says:

i’ve heard*

• Ben K. says:

Ichiro will be 36 come Opening Day 2010, and he OPS+’d only 102 this past year. Let’s wait before hopping that ill-advised bandwagon.

• We lose Matsui, Damon, and Nady in 2010. There goes our outfield, should we let them all walk away and pick up Holliday, and trade for Ichiro? I forgot where i heard it, but i’ve hears that the Mariners are considering shopping him.

2009 Outfield:
      LF- Damon
      CF- Gardner
      RF-Swisher
      4th-Nady
      5th-Melky

2010 Outfield:
      LF- Swisher
      CF- Austin Jackson
      RF-Matt Holliday
      4th-Gardner
      5th-___________

No need for Ichiro. Ever.

• GG says:

I’ve thought about that OF before, that means Jeter is leading off in 2010?

• 'The' Steve says:

. . . and playing LF, I hope.

As much as I’d like to have Holliday (or at least I THINK I would, lets see how he fares in OAK this year) I can’t see grandpa staying at SS until he feels like retiring. SS is THE premium defensive position in baseball, and he sucks at it and has for years. I hope the Yanks look to move him to LF after 2009.

• Mike Pop says:

I say bring back Damon for a year or 2 and forget about Holliday. Hes going to cost 100 million. Is he really worth that?

• Matt says:

Nah, Ichiro isn’t worth the trade. And we’ll have to see how Holliday does in the AL before offering a big contract.

If Damon does alright (and Holliday doesn’t), I wouldn’t be too upset bringing him back on a two year deal, with Jackson in center (hopefully) and Swisher in right.

It will be interesting to see (if they keep him) if the Yankees offer Nady–along with Damon–arbitration what with the corner outfield market this year.

• 27 this year says:

probably they will simply because they are cheaper. Damon will play decent enough to make 13-15 mil not the worst. Nady would not 10 unless he has like ridiculous numbers so there isn’t as much risk as say Abreu at 16-18 or Giambi at 21 or Pudge at 13 and so on. The risk is less and both should be Type As barring injury.

• whozat says:

Trading for Ichiro is a terrible idea. He’s aging and his game is predicated on speed, and he’s still signed for a while. He’s also kind of the face of their franchise, so if you think he’s coming cheap, you’re nuts.

If Holliday does well, he’s going to cost as much as Tex. I’m not sure it’s worth it. If they keep Swish, and Jackson is ready…then they only need one bat, and I figure they’d want to look to the trade market.

It’s kind of pointless to try to project; we have no idea who’ll be available for what cost.

• Mike Pop says:

I dont think he will cost as much as Teix but he will cost ttoo much. I would hope he goes back to the NL but I cant think of a fit.

• E-ROC says:

I don’t think Ichiro will ever be in a Yankee uniform unless the M’s asking price drops and they pay a bunch of money left on his contract. Probably ain’t happening.

I’m still holding out hope that the Yanks trade for Jeremy Hermida.

12. GG says:

I dunno if anyone said so already but 99WS game 3 is on right now

13. Brooklyn Ed says:

Yanks signed a another former ROTY reject, Angel Berrora:

The Yankees have signed free-agent infielder Angel Berroa to a minor-league contract, according to major-league sources.

Berroa, 30, is expected to compete with Cody Ransom for the utility infielder job.
    Berroa began last season with the Royals, but was traded to the Dodgers in June, where he filled in for the injured Rafael Furcal.

——-

I rather sign Chris Burke than him.

14. Jayson Stark says all the Manny to the Giants rumors (as well as all the anybody to the Giants rumors) are totall bullcrap and always have been. Says they can’t even afford Joe Crede right now. Payroll’s currently at 85M and that’s already way higher than they want.

15. Mike A. says:

So Leiter, Reynolds and some other guy had a mock fantasy draft of free agent pitchers on MLB Hot Stove. Reynolds’ two picks? Livan Hernandez and Mark Mulder. Oh yeah.

16. Ivan says:

If you had a choice between DeMar DeRozan and James Harden, who would you take?

17. Jamal G. says:

MLB Network is pissing me off. Joe Magrane said he would replace Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo with Jon Garland and Randy Wolf. Really, dude? What the fuck? I don’t care about the Arroyo bit, but Harang, really? I know he had a well-below average year, but that seems to be the outlier based on his career and the last three seasons.

Oh, and according to Fangraphs, Dusty Baker may have waved his magic wand to fuck with Harang: http://www.fangraphs.com/fanta.....-to-harang

18. Jamal G. says:

MLB 09: The Show or Street Fighter IV: which are you more excited about? Personally, it’s The Show for me, but that’s because I’m so obsessed with the franchise.

19. Jamal G. says:

This Ken Burns documentary is a bit dramatic.

• 'The' Steve says:

“This” one?

I could also do without his political slant on just about every topic he covers. As a Historian, could you just give me all the facts and let me make up my own mind, instead of spoon feeding me your agenda?

20. Mike Pop says:

Anyone play the DC/Mortal Kombat game? Its an awesome game, if you have’nt checked it out, I suggest you try it out.

21. bicsharpie says:

I’m a genius.
    That being said, lets trade nady, ipk, and aceves for homer bailey.

22. Mike Pop says:

Sensei John Kreese is a bit of a comedian over there at NoMaas.

23. Jamal G. says:

Am I the only who thinks “the Catch” is overrated? In my opinion, Gary Matthews Jr.’s catch in Texas, Carlos Beltran’s catch up the hill in Houston and any number of diving catches by Jim Edmonds all top it. Is it a generational thing?

24. A.D. says:

Per the attractive WNBA players before:

25. Ken O'C says:

I watched Tex’s press conference on Yes and I am very impressed with his guy. He’s smart, confident, driven, and he seemed very proud to join the Yankees. I think he is the heir apparent to Derek Jeter and he will be the next Yankee captain after Jeter is gone.

26. GG says:

I will always love to watch Bernie, even if he just grounded out

27. Jamal G. says:

Heh, apparently the Curveball was something that purists hated when it was first introduced to baseball.

28. Matt says:

After two episodes, this season of “Scrubs” is already better than the seventh season.

29. pat says:

i missed that little joke about “the neilsons”? was that a reference to how the show was marketed on its old channel? I read something somewhere about that

30. Mike Pop says:

This kid is the worst, holy shit.

31. Dave says:

So the facts are that sheets goes down with an injury in late september – every single media article including those throughout free agency that discus sheets talk about his torn flexor muscle and laundry list of injuries. The brewers who know everything there is to know about sheets offer arbitration to him which would cost them 14 million and sheets declines thinking his medical reports are good enough to land him a better deal than that in a slow market. Sheets receives almost no interest from most teams. The brewers and yankees express interest in sheets. The yanks seemingly dissapear from the table one has to assume it is due to pettitte’s potential signing as well as the signings of AJ and CC which would fill the rotation. The brewers maintain interest in sheets still wanting to re-sign him. Buster Olney comes out with an article on january fourth that says his shoulder and not his torn flexor is the cause for concern. The brewers continue to express interest in re-signing sheets.

To me, there are many reasons that these facts imply that sheets injury is not that serious – the brewers offer of arbitration without a guarantee that he will decline knowing everything there is to know about his medical record. Sheets declines believing his medical records are good enough and his current status is healthy enough to land him a deal better than 14 million. The brewers express interest in re-signing him while continuing to know all of sheets current and former injuries. Not a single reporter from september until january report that sheet’s shoulder is a cause for concern followed by olney’s article in early january. Even with olney’s article the brewers continue to remain interested in re-signing sheets. Also, at one point, multiple reports came out saying that the yanks were interested in signing sheets for two years and 30 mil or around that range and dissappear as the pettitte talks heat up which implies that the yanks either didnt think his medical history was all that alarming or later changed their minds and believed he was too risky with the decision having nothing to do with pettitte.

All in all, i think the yanks could still have some interest in sheets and with the brewers as our only competition and the brewers basically in rebuilding mode, i dont think it takes very much to sign sheets. As i said before, maybe 8 mil guaranteed for one year plus incentives leading all the way up to 15 mil and a team or vesting option for the second year if he lives up to expectations. I dont care what other teams think or the ridiculous rumors floating around – all i care about is that the brewers remain interested and the yanks were preparing an offer after looking at his records. This tells me that his current status and medical records arent so alarming as every one appears to think although there im sure there are some red flags and he is still healing from that flexor muscle injury in his forearm which takes a while to heal.

32. VO says:

well if anyone looks in the backround in tht pic, it says hes nubmer 25 to answer a lot of questions

33. Mike Pop says:

Man, Knicks fucked up not taking Eric Gordon.