Record Last Week: 4-2 (38 RS, 27 RA)
Season Record: 33-23 (321RS, 290 RA), 0.5 game lead in AL East
Opponents This Week: vs. Tampa Bay (1 game), @ Boston (3 games), vs. Mets (3 games)
Top stories from last week:
- Joba Chamberlain started the week off with a bang, throwing eight dominant innings in Cleveland to give the team a series win. The Yanks set a Major League record that day by playing error free for their 18th consecutive game, a testament to their improved defense.
- Just a week after winning a three game series in Texas, the Yanks welcomed the Rangers came to the Bronx on Tuesday. The offense welcomed Texas with a 12-3 beatdown in the first game of the series, but Andy Pettitte couldn’t keep it going on Wednesday. Chien-Ming Wang finished up the series with his first start since April 18th, and the team had to bail him out with a late inning rally for the win.
- After a Friday night rain out, the Yankees suffered a disappointing loss on Saturday when Mariano Rivera faltered in the ninth. They rebounded with a late-inning comeback win on Sunday, and ended the week the same way they started it: in first place.
- On the injury front, the Yanks are close to getting some key players back. Brian Bruney was pain free after a Sunday bullpen session and could be back in as little as a week-and-a-half. Xavier Nady and Damaso Marte are rehabbing down in Tampa, while Cody Ransom and Jose Molina each took a step towards returning. We got a little scare when we learned that Joba may have a lingering shoulder issue, but thankfully that got shot down quickly.
- Things went well down on the farm as well. Austin Jackson hit his first homerun of the year on Thursday, and the Yanks’ new top prospect picked up a hit in his first game after a promotion to Double-A Trenton. Unfortunately, it looks like the Yanks will be operating on a budget during this week’s draft.
- Cablevision and the YES also agreed to the first in-market agreement to stream games live to subscribers.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.