Oct

Fan Confidence Poll: October 5th, 2009

Record Last Week: 3-3 (32 RS, 29 RA)
Season Record: 103-59 (915 RS, 753 RA), won AL East by 8 games, finished with the best record in MLB by 6 games
Opponents This Week: Yanks will play winner of Tuesday’s Twins-Tigers game in the best-of-five ALDS

Top stories from last week:

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.

View Results
Categories : Polls

1. Chris says:

I think you need to add an option for a vote of 11. Otherwise TSJC won’t be able to vote.

2. 10. I’m pumped to see what this team can do in the playoffs.

3. Accent Shallow says:

I’ve been consistently at an 8 since the beginning of the year. This is an excellent team, but they’re not ’27 Yankees levels of stacked, and the farm system is middle of the pack.

I look forward to blowing way too much money on playoff tickets.

4. The person voting 1 should really out him or herself.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

It’s obviously a troll.

• Bob Stone says:

Make it a requirement to sign in to vote like you do for commenting. I’m tired of these “1″ and “2″ votes screwing up the data. I’d like to see a weekly result that is truly and realistically reflective of YANKEE fan confidnce.

I guess it washes out from week to week if the same trolls vote “1″ or “2″ in every poll, but I think RAB has a right to know who they are and decide if they want to include them in the vote (in the same fashion as deciding whether to ban commenters).

• Mike HC says:

Quite honestly, I’m more interested in the people who voted 3. If you vote one, I kinda get it, you hate the Yanks, easy. But the 3 and the 4′s? After much deliberation they decided they did indeed have a little confidence in the Yanks?

5. Jake H says:

9. I think with the Tigers and Twins having to play another game helps the Yanks a ton. It will be interesting to see how Porcello does. He’s thrown 40 more innings then he did last year right now. Also he’s had 10k’s for the whole month of September.

6. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Confidence Level = 27.

7. Nady Nation says:

Anyone get tickets? I logged in at 10 AM on the dot, and nada for ALCS. Granted, I also didn’t choose the “Best Available” option because I can’t afford field level or legends suites.

8. Kiersten says:

Still at a 9. I’m really at a 9.5, but I won’t vote a 10.

• The Artist says:

Exactly, anything can happen in a short series.

• Jamal G. says:

Actually, in ALDS play, when a series includes a team that has 15-plus more victories than the other team, said team is 8-1 in the series.

So, when it comes to a team that is the caliber of the Yankees, and that of their opponent, the Twins and the Tigers, the crapshoot theory is a bunch of crap.

• Zack says:

But overall records take into account the Tigers throwing Washburn/Willis/Bonderman/whoever as their 4/5 starters for 162 games. Yes Yankees had Wang/Mitre/bad Joba 2nd half, but just saying.

I dont think its fair to look at overall record. Look at the pitchers who are actually pitching, and how they have been performing. ie.) Jackson’s overall numbers are misleading due to his amazing 1st half and just average 2nd half, or Joba’s horrible post ASB numbers (hes not starting but its just an example)

• Jamal G. says:

How is it not fair to look at overall records? You don’t think the eight losers in that sample were able to not pitch their back-end starters just like the Tigers or Twins will be able to? You don’t think they will be able to constantly pitch the best guys in their bullpen just like the Tigers and Twins will be able to?

• Zack says:

No i mean in a 5 game series. The only guys who matter are Verlander, Porcello and Jackson and then their 2-3 main bullpen guys. Same with the Yankees.

I’m not saying the Yankees arent better or shouldnt win.

• Chris says:

Jamal’s point is that in a situation exactly like this where one team won 15 games more than the other, the better team won the short series 8 of 9 times. Any argument you make for the Tigers/Twins could also be made for the loser in 8 of those 9 series.

• Zack says:

I understand that part, he also said the crapshoot theory is bunch of crap based upon their regular season record and the 8-1 in previous years.

• Chris says:

The crap shoot theory is a bunch of crap in this case. The Yankees are a far superior team (the fact that they have 17 more wins is evidence) and so have a very good chance of winning the series. When you have two fairly equal teams then it’s a crap shoot. That would be the case in of the other series.

• Jamal G. says:

I’m really not understanding your point. In ALDS play, teams that are 15-plus wins better than their opponent are 8-1 in the series record.

When taking into account the caliber of these three teams, the better team wins at a near-ninety-percent clip. When the teams become closer and closer in wins total is when the crapshoot theory comes into play.

• If Zack doesn’t mind my jumping in here… I think his point is that while there may be a correlation between regular season record and ALDS success, he doesn’t find the predictive power of this correlation to be as persuasive as you do, Jamal. I see where both of you are coming from and I agree with Jamal that the ALDS, when played by teams with records that are something like 15 games apart, is probably much less of a crap-shoot than people think. But I do think Zack has a point here, too. A more specialized analysis of the teams in question, looking more particularly at their performance behind their top three pitchers, for example, would probably be more persuasive than the correlation offered here. But in the end I don’t think you guys really disagree as much as it seems.

• Jamal G. says:

Sorry, what I should have stipulated is that I don’t understand the points he is arguing. All his counter-points are cases that were the same in the topic case – five-game series; back-end starters not being used; top-end relievers always being used.

My confusion stems from the fact that he is arguing that the upcoming series is an ALDS where the Tigers won’t use their crappy starters and relievers, when what I’ve been arguing is that the team with 15-plus wins the ALDS where the losing team was able to avoid their crappy starters and relievers.

• yankeegirl49 says:

I hope the game Tues night goes 17 innings :)

9. Derek says:

i chose best available for alds game 2 and $131 tickets came up.. i let them go because i’m just a college student.. i wish i hadnt let them go now though i’m pissed.. but then there was the dilemma that i’m bringin my girlfriend home this weekend and so i couldnt just leave her at my house while i went to the game but at the same time i couldnt NOT bring my brother… so i guess i saved myself $300 and a fight with my girlfriend or brother

10. Rob in CT says:

I’ve been an 8 most of the year. I’m a 9 on the present and more like a 7 for the future (due to the age of some key players and the lack of impact up-the-middle talent in the farm system).

I know this is probably tempting fate, but I’d rather face the Twins than the Tigers. The Twins have no starters that scare me, and Nathan is useless if they don’t have a lead to protect.

11. Jersey says:

RLYW has a list of “notable games” from the first half posted:

Hard to look at some of those and not feel good about where the team is today.

12. JSquared says:

I’ve been at 10 all year, Best Offense hands down, Great Pitching, Great Team Attitude, Love This Team. Hopefully A-Rod is HOT in the playoffs.

13. Bob Stone says:

I’m at 10 this week. I’ve been at 9 most of the year with one 8 (after one really poor week) and a few 10′s (after weeks when the Yanks have been hot and I thought they had thye’re act together).

The play-offs are a crap shoot and the best team doesn’t always win. But you have to like the Yankees chances to go all the way this year.

14. Stormrider6 says:

I finally buckled and went with a 10. Sure, anything can happen in a short series, but the way the roster is constructed, I don’t see any team that’s better than the Yankees. Every team has weaknesses, but the Yankees have the fewest. I can easily see this team steamrolling through the playoffs and Word Series. There’s not an offense that can challenge our pitching staff when they’re on, and there’s no pitching staff that our offense can’t beat when it’s on. All that’s left is to play the games.

Organizationally, I think that the Yankees have similar question marks as other teams but more financial flexibility to address those concerns. Sure, they may have to “buy” some solutions, but that’s why they’re the Yankees and everyone else just wants to be the Yankees.

15. Reggie C. says:

The regular season ends at a 10 for me.

In a couple days I’m going to fall into the “anything short of winning the World Series is catastrophic” crowd, but right now I really do appreciate and am in awe of this Yankees team roaring comeback season. Baseball’s greatest franchise is back.

16. Jamal G. says:

The three people that voted a six need to explain themselves. It is too high of a rating to be the choice of a troll and too low to be anything rational.

• Jose says:

No one should really need to do anything. Part of this type of poll is a level of anonymity, that allows people to vote whatever they want without having to explain themselves.

As long as this poll is structured the way it is, people can vote anything they want, even a 1 or 6 or 10. Do they have to explain themselves? Absolutely not.

• Bob Stone says:

I’d love to hear their explanations as well. However, I agree with Jose, that with the poll AS IT IS CURRENTLY STRUCTURED, no one has to expelan themselves.

I offered an alternative earlier in this thread:

“Make it a requirement to sign in to vote like you do for commenting. I’m tired of these “1? and “2? votes screwing up the data. I’d like to see a weekly result that is truly and realistically reflective of YANKEE fan confidence.

I guess it washes out from week to week if the same trolls vote “1? or “2? in every poll, but I think RAB has a right to know who they are and decide if they want to include them in the vote (in the same fashion as deciding whether to ban commenters).

RAB’s strong control over the site is one of the factors that makes it so good. Let’s extend that control to the Fan Confidence Poll.”

• A.D. says:

Its going to be people that put a high # on future of the team with regard to farm system. Those people are going to say they want a farm like Texas with this year’s results.

Something like that, basically those people don’t consider a 6 bad, and that a 10 should be basically impossible to achieve.

The way around it would be to vote on parts, then the guys at RAB to put that together. So something like farm poll, management poll, major league performance poll.

• Chris says:

I really think it would be interesting to break the results into 2 separate polls. Confidence for this year (next year after the WS happens) and confidence for the next 5-10 years. I agree that those 6′s are probably people who are pessimistic about the mid to long term future of the Yankees. Of course, those people also shouldn’t significantly change their votes week to week.

17. Klemy says:

Still at a 9. I like where we are at and what we’ve had. If our pitching staff is on, I like our chances at #27. The real season begins and I can’t wait for Wednesday.

18. pete says:

9. There are obvious problems with this team, but they are clearly the best team in the league and that should, barring serious injury, extend into next year and possibly beyond. In the playoffs the yanks’ advantages play down somewhat, as they so often do, but there still isn’t a team in the playoffs that should beat them, although the angels are pretty close, and the sox aren’t far behind them.

Of course, the yankees have had terrific lineups before and still fallen out in the first round, but they’ve never had the home run depth they have this year, and I think that could play up huge. HRs and K rates always seem to have a big impact on short-series baseball, and the yankees have both.