Mar

Fan Confidence Poll: March 11th, 2013

Spring Training Record: 4-11 (56 RS, 64 RA)
Spring Training Schedule This Week: vs. Cardinals (Mon. on YES/ESPN), @ Rays (Tues.), vs. Phillies (Weds. on YES), @ Blue Jays (Thurs.), vs. Marlins (Fri. on YES), vs. Phillies (Sat., split squad on YES), @ Braves (Sat., split squad on MLB.tv), @ Pirates (Sun.)

Top stories from last week:

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.

Categories : Polls

1. CS Yankee says:

Watch the 9-19-11 Yankee Classic game (Mo for the save record) yesterday and was impressed about that lineup that had;
    1) Jeet
    2) Grandy
    3) Teix
    4) Arod
    5) Cano
    6) Swish
    7) Andruw/Grit
    8) Montero/Posada
    9) Martin

Damn depressing that 9 of 11 are either injured or gone, then I realized that AJ and his Circus Act is gone and that their SP is overall in much better shape.

I sure do miss most of those bats though.

• Ted Nelson says:

That line-up was better, but I don’t think it’s as bad as you’re painting it to be.

8 of 11 are gone or injured (Jeter, Cano, and Gardner… with Gardner being the big spoon over Jones and taking almost 3x the PAs for Jones). Posada was just awful that year, so even a partial season from Hafner could be a sizable upgrade there. Martin put up a wRC+ of 82 that month, right about his median month for the season. With some health Diaz and/or Rivera could crush LHP in a similar fashion to Jones, who was white hot in 2011 but ice cold in 2012. A-Rod played 99 games that season, so Youkilis + A-Rod in 2013 shouldn’t be too far off the production of A-Rod plus the hodgepodge of poor performers who replaced him in 2011.

And, of course, Tex and Granderson are expected back a month or so into the season.

• Jim Is Bored says:

Yup. That 2011 lineup looks a lot better if you’re thinking about the stats of some of those guys in their prime.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Imagine the Mick in that lineup and by, imagine, of course, I mean 2012 dead-for-years Mantle.

*sad trombone*

By those standards, absolutely, the 2013 look fantastic. Take Hafner’s best year, Youk’s, Ichiro’s, etc.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, there’s a fair amount of name-only value on that lineup. I do think the Yankees’ 2013 lineup will take a sizable step back, but not as drastically as some think.

2. Yankees 1 says:

Mo said he wants to throw his last pitch in the World Series. So now it has to happen. 10.

3. From your mouth to God’s ears

4. Eddard says:

We’re at an 8 but we’ll be at a 2 if the F.O. decides to trade away our youth for a bandaid. This is old team that is going to cut its budget next season. Granderson is gone, Andy is gone, Kuroda is gone next season, Robbie Cano could be gone. Youth is the future of this team.

What if these people were in charge in 95? Would they have traded away Jeter, Bernie, Jorge, Mo and Andy for a bandaid? Probably and those 5 rings never would have happened. The Yankees have had one successful starting pitcher brought up through their farm system in the last 20 years and that’s Andy. Now they want to trade away Nova and Phelps who have made the big leagues. Doesn’t make any sense to trade away youth when you’ve got an aging team cutting its budget.

• trr says:

well said Eddard, but let’s not leave the trade realm totally unexplored. I feel this year is gonna be a struggle, but I’m reasonably optimistic ling term

• Jim Is Bored says:

Since when has current ownership traded people for “bandaids”?

They’ve basically done everything they can to NOT do that.

• Ted Nelson says:

While it was George who did try to trade several of the core 4 , if not all four, at various points back in the ~’95 era. Just this weekend MLBtraderumors had something from Cashman saying that they had to work hard to talk George down from a Mo or Wickman for Felix Fermin deal before the ’96 season.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Yup. That’s story been said enough times.

Who rolls over in their grave when we’re reminded of all that, anyway?

• jjyank says:

“Now they want to trade away Nova and Phelps who have made the big leagues.”

Says who? Show me a link that says that the Yankees are shopping those two. Also, I really hope that you’re not comparing Nova and Phelps to guys like Jeter, Bernie, Jorge, Andy, and Mo. That’s just silly.

I agree with your basic premise here (and every other time you post the same thing) in that I agree that the Yankees are going to need to take some chances with the young guys and some prospects in order to stay under the budget, especially if they re-sign Cano. But you need to shed this notion that Nova and Phelps are untouchable.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Well, I did include Nova in my sucky proposal for Chase Headley and, clearly, I’m on the payroll.

Eddard still has immunity from me from the filibuster. Of course, you wouldn’t know about the filibuster, since you were sipping daquiris and counting breasts at the time.

• jjyank says:

I’m more of a tequila sunrise guy :) The house had WiFi though, I followed along on his filibuster.

Of course, we throw names like Nova and Phelps around in trade proposals, but we all know (except Eddard, maybe) that this means jack shit. I’ve yet to see anything saying that the Yankees are looking to move either of those two.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

First, breasts are easy to count (they typically come in pairs), so counting was easy for jj, enough so that he could multitask.

Second, the tequila sunrises must have made the filibustering fun to follow.

Third, Eddard at an 8?!?!?!?

Fourth, Headly (if that’s who the Yanks try to get) is no “bandaid”. He appears to be a legit, in his prime piece to add to Cano. He could seriously help the team going forward (along with Cano) as the new regime. I’d be willing to give up one or 2 of the top OF prospects, Phelps or Nova and another piece for him if the Padres were willing to talk. I suspect that the $189M budget is out the window if they decide to trade for him.

Fifth, notice how Eddard states “We”? Clearly multiple personalities. :-)

• Jim Is Bored says:

Everyone wants the 2nd coming of Andy, Jorge, Bernie, Mo and Jeter but no one wants to take the risks to see if we have any of them.

• Slugger27 says:

Now they want to trade away Nova and Phelps who have made the big leagues

link?

• jjyank says:

What does that have to do with making up a willingness to shop young players?

• Jim Is Bored says:

This regime hasn’t even tried to build from within yet. They haven’t demonstrated that they can or can’t.

Why would we have confidence that they can’t, either?

As usual, the logical approach is to reserve judgment until we have more information.

5. mac says:

An older and injured team.

The best prospects a few years from reaching the bigs.

Ownership who wants to cut payroll and has decidedly made the team weaker this year (before injuries) to do so.

How could it be more than a 5 or 6 right now?

• The Big City of Dreams says:

How could it be more than a 5 or 6 right now?

——————

I guess it’s based on the fact that they have always come through.

6. LarryM., Fl. says:

6. As I have been since the off season. Reading rumors that have the Yankees reaching out to Derek Lee who did not play in 2012 does not bring glee to my Yankee heart. Now Ronny M. playing third should be the next guy to fall on the DL with hockey like stitches in and around his facial area.

Brian Cashman’s pain killers must be working OT as the injuries pile up and the decisions seem a bit strange.

But I hold the faith that this is the year of Yankee pitching to bring home the bacon.

7. Reggie C. says:

I may have started the off-season at a 7. I dont exactly recall, but with the steady deterioration of the lineup caused not by free agency but by sheer nature, the future reliability of Teixeira and Arod looks murky at best. Ignoring the salaries for a moment, I expected above-league average production from both Teix and Arod. These two men still appeared capable of meeting that task at the end of last season; Teix especially.

I just dont see that to be the case anymore, and in Teixeira’s case it could very well lead to a gouging of a couple talented prospects to land a Chase Headley. If Rotoworld’s link is correct, I’d rather go that route and guarantee Derek Lee a couple million and get him in pinstripes.

The starting pitching is solid and better than our divisional rivals, though the Rays might have the better 1-2 punch in Price and Moore. That gives me some belief that the squad can overcome a .500 April, mid-May start to the season once Grandy and Teix return to action.

Its going to be a rough first month of watching YES Network.

8. Robinson Tilapia says:

5 in the short-term, maybe about a 7.5 in the long-term.

Not only am I encouraged by our top young players, but second, and lower tier, prospects such as Jose Ramirez and Francisco Rondon have really looked sharp this spring and remind us that, when you’re looking only at what the lists tell you, your system is going to look a lot thinner than it actually is.

Win or lose, I intend on enjoying Yankee baseball this year. So should you.

• jjyank says:

“Sure, the team’s got its work cut out for them in the extreme short term, but I honestly can’t see this much worse than the starts that HEALTHY Yankee teams have gotten off to in recent years. The returning lineup may not be as strong as some of those seasons, but it’s nowhere near as bad as the spoiled fans are making it out be.”

I couldn’t have said it better. I keep thinking about all those sub-.500 April records over the last several years and how they bounced back just fine. If Tex and Grandy don’t suffer setbacks, my confidence won’t take much of a hit there. As for the 2013 lineup when healthy, I pretty much said the same thing as above. I don’t believe the step down from previous years will be as drastic as some others do.

9. Bavarian Yankee says:

down to a 6 because of all the injuries.

10. Laz says:

-2 confidence level for rab continually loading as a mobile

• Mandy Stankiewicz says:

From a 7 at the beginning of Feb to a 6.
      Hey RAB community, this is happening as well. The mobile is loading on my desktop FYI.

11. I am not the droids you're looking for... says:

Posting less bc I don’t like having to re-type my Name and Email. Yes, I am that lazy.

4 Right now, 7 long term. Right now counts more.

12. dalelama says:

My Six has dropped to five. Bloated contracts, decaying choker filled line-up, and barren farm system equals a pocket of puss.

13. Yankee68 says:

How can it be a 6 week in and week out?

14. PBFog says:

I hope they do stick with internal options for all of the injuries. I don’t feel like seeing more trades/signing of veteran players. Let’s see what comes from the minor leaguers. If they’re not great I’m ok with that. I’m just going to enjoy watching some baseball and see how this particular teams ends of playing. Could suck. Could come together well. So what.