Dec

Fan Confidence Poll: December 23rd, 2013

2013 Season: 85-77 (637 RS, 671 RA, 77-85 pythag. record), didn’t qualify for playoffs

Top stories from last week:

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.

Categories : Polls

1. Reggie C. says:

No mention of JD Drew waiting for “clarity” on the Yankees? I think i saw that on rotoworld on friday so maybe you missed it Mike. I’m sure Cashman has spoken to 99% of free agents at some point this off-season, but that update on Drew indicates that communication with Drew have been recent. Would Cashman make a competitive 3 year offer on Drew? The man’s injury history is among the worst i’ve seen in recent history. Its a shame. He’s only 30 but with all those injuries I would hate committing long-term to Drew.

2. nyyankfan_7 says:

For the sake of all of MLB let’s hope JD Drew never plays again.

3. dars says:

They need to make 3 moves to stay competitive. A right handed infield bat (Reynolds probably a better option than Baker), a starter (Tanaka is unlikely- they will have to invest in one of the 3 available pitchers, to me Garza is the best option and a bullpen arm (Rodney or Balfour – prefer Balfour)….

This gives us a roster that looks like this:
    1. Ellsbury CF 2. Jeter SS 3. Teixeira 1b 4. McAnn C 5. Beltran RF 6. Soriano DH 7. Reynolds/Johnson 3B 8. Roberts 2B 9. Gardner LF

Bench: Cervelli, Ryan, Suzuki, Reynolds/Johnson

SP; Sabathia, Kuroda, Garza, Nova, Pineda
    BP; Phelps, Betances, Thornton, Balfour, Robertson, Kelley, Warren

With Nunez, Canzler, Mostellier, Murphy, Romine and Almonte as triple A insurance for position players and Nuno, Cabral as pitching insurance.

If they do not get those 3 additional players we are going to be convinced that 189 M is their primary interest and not winning and the moves they made were just to tease their fan base and get their interest but no commitment to winning….

4. Brian Strawman says:

Yanks are in the bottom 3 in AL East. Let’s be honest.

5. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I don’t remember if I was a 5 or a 6 last week. It’s Christmas week, so we’ll take the high road.

Nothing’s really changed. Still holes in the infield and not much of a visible market to fill them. I liked the Thornton signing, but would still like to see a vet come in and solidify what will be the Road to DRob. The mid-level starting pitching market is being held up by Tanaka and, once that domino falls, some of these guys may get paid way more than their worth. Do I want to see them pay like chumps for someone just because there’s an opening? Probably not, but it’d admittedly be a hard pill to swallow to spend the money that’s been spent and go into the season with some pretty big question marks. Something is going to have to give between now and Opening Day. Good thing there’s still a lot of time.

6. fred robbins says:

The Yankees screwed themselves mightily when they refused to resign Russell Martin and Ibanez before the start of 2013 season- Now they have over-paid for a catcher and centerfielder, and did nothing to offer any hope for the future. They still act as if they have an all star worthy short stop already signed. If they had kept Martin and Ibanez they would have had money for pitching and would not have even needed a catcher.
    Whoever is running this team does not give a crap at all about the fans or the history of the Yankees. For some reason, there is just a 100% refusal to look at this team honestly and to begin to rebuild another dynasty. TO me, it is pitiful to watch Yankee ownership and management add players that do nothing but keep the status quo of an organization that has gone from the most valued in baseball to one that is way down near the bottom in terms of outlook for the future and chances of winning another world series.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

Yeah man, the 2014 Yankees are really upset that they don’t have Ibanez.

• Tired of hearing about the Martin thing. What’s done is done. Because they made a poor decision and didn’t retain him they should just continue to have a black hole at catcher until they find the same deal? They added the best C available. Martin isn’t an option anymore and they did what they can to fix the problem.

I don’t think that it keeps them from adding pitchers. If there were pitchers available that they had a strong interest in, they’d probably be more aggressive and if Tanaka gets posted they most likely will be.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

When you don’t retain a guy who posted a 2.0 WAR for you on a one-year deal, it should be held over your franchise for decades.

• TWTR says:

You are worried about the future (which is reasonable( but want to sign 40 something ?Ibanez?

• stuckey says:

“For some reason, there is just a 100% refusal to look at this team honestly and to begin to rebuild another dynasty.”

And herein lies the problem.

You’re never going to see ’96 to 2011 again. EVER.

You’re not even going to see ’95 to 2012 again.

We saw a VERY unique, special moment in baseball history that won’t ever be replicated.

But instead of appreciating it a whole generation of Yankee fans will spend years being bitter in perpetuity.

Bills eventually come due in Major League Baseball. The Yankees are now facing that reality.

And let’s be blunt and history – you accuse the organization of not giving a crap about fans or the story…. neither do you. You’re interested in YOU and what YOU want.

Anyone with a sense history would properly appreciate the last 19 years. You show no sense of that whatsoever.

You’re of the ‘what-have-you-done-for-me-lately’ school – unable to appreciate the extraordinary era you’ve lived through because its coming to an end.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

What’s even funnier about that is that, if I remember correctly, he’s one of those commenters who will quickly tell you he’s been around since the days of Horace Clarke, $0.50 hot dogs, and smallpox.

• mitch says:

I think you’re being dramatic. They just need to follow the fool-proof dynasty template:
        1. Don’t sign veterans
        2. Play the kids
        3. Wait 2 years
        4. Dynasty

• Rick says:

I am pretty sure you’ve now posted under 3 different names on this same article… (Dars, Truther, and now this)… Just saying

• Macho Man "Randy Levine" says:

The next person I hear talking about building “another dynasty” is going to be penciled in for a sudden visit from the Angel of Death.

• FLYER7 says:

Imagine the howls if the second year of Russell Martin was a hindrance to signing McCann lol

7. TWTR says:

I like the offseason to this point, although I don’ t like DFAing Marshall over Wells, but that doesn’t affect my vote.

8. ChrisS says:

I can’t for opening day!

I’m a 9 right now and I’ll be a 10 when they sign Tanaka.

I’m forecasting 100-104 wins this season. The AL won’t know what hit ‘em!

• Betty Lizard says:

I’m sitting right there with you on the Group W Pollyanna bench.

Spring Training hasn’t even started. How can I be less than a 9?

• Alkaline says:

Last year in May I called for 92 wins. That was obviously a stretch, but I wasn’t banking on Granderson reinjuring himself in yet another freak accident or Jeter completely falling apart. But, I was only 7 wins away.

And it’s a lot more fun thinking on the bright side of life.

9. Cashjr says:

The “189 decision” seems simple to me (at least in principle). As Hal has been saying it is a goal, not a mandate. I agree with it and I believe their actions so far are consistent with it. What it means is that if players are worth all the extra tax over the years, then sign them, but don’t exceed the number for marginal players or contracts that seem “out of whack” or worse to make the fans happy. That’s where we have to trust management (which clearly many of us don’t), if Tanaka is available then he and some others will be worth it, but if you can’t get him or others that have some cost/benefit value, then don’t. Also if they decide to get under, that doesn’t mean they are throwing the towel in for 2014 – 189 is still an awfully high payroll. It just means they are going into with a lower chance of success, but as we have seen many teams do, some combination of comback years from veterans (Jeter, CC and Tex), some kids developing/surprising (Pineda, Phelps, Warren, Montgomery) and some established players having career years (Gardner, Nova, Johnson) could carry the day. Often times the WS winners are not anywhere near the teams favored at the beginning of the year.

10. CS Yankee says:

they’re doing really well compared to last offseason.

I’m at a 7, and willy to move up, if;
    8…Add Tanaka or Balfour/Ubaldo.
    9…as above, but arod returns in July.