2013 Season: 85-77 (637 RS, 671 RA, 77-85 pythag. record), didn’t qualify for playoffs
Top stories from last week:
- The Yankees made two small moves last week, agreeing to contracts with second baseman Brian Roberts (one year, $2M) and left-hander Matt Thornton (two years, $7M). They are still in the market for a right-handed infield bat and they have interest in Jeff Baker. They aren’t close to a deal with Mark Reynolds.
- Before signing Carlos Beltran, the Yankees offered Shin-Soo Choo a seven-year contract worth $140M. The team moved on when he asked for more money. Brett Marshall was designated for assignment to clear a 40-man roster spot for Beltran.
- MLB and NPB finally ratified the new posting agreement. There is still no word on whether the Rakuten Golden Eagles will post Masahiro Tanaka, however.
- The Yankees officially announced the hiring of Gary Tuck (bullpen coach), Matthew Krause (strength and conditioning coordinator), Trey Hillman (special assistant, major and minor league operations), and Mike Quade (roving outfield and baserunning instructor).
- The players’ union expects Brett Gardner‘s salary to be higher than originally projected next season. The Yankees were hit with a $28,113,945 luxury tax bill for 2013.
- Gary Sanchez was ranked the team’s top prospect by Baseball Prospectus.
- And finally, in case you were wondering, Andy Pettitte is definitely not coming out of retirement a second time.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.