Apr

Yankees activate David Robertson off 15-day DL

As expected, the Yankees have activated closer David Robertson off the 15-day DL, the team announced. He missed the minimum 15 days with a groin strain. Robertson threw in the bullpen last week and pitched in an Extended Spring Training game over the weekend. Bryan Mitchell was returned to Double-A Trenton yesterday to clear a roster spot.

The Yankees also announced that lefty Cesar Cabral has cleared waivers and been outrighted to Triple-A Scranton. He was designated for assignment the other day to make room on the roster for Matt Daley. Because he has been outrighted off the 40-man roster in the past, Cabral can elect free agency rather than report to Triple-A. I think he has three days to make that decision, but don’t hold me to that.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Dropped Third says:

The pen did better then I expected with him gone but they stilled looked significantly worse off without him. Allowing Kelly to go to the eighth and Warren and Thornton to the seventh is huge.I’m hoping we get Hanrahan for the depth and experience we lack.

2. lightSABR says:

Here’s hoping this means no repeats of last Friday.

3. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

No depth lost. Perfect.

Welcome back, DRob. Never leave us again. Buy Shawn Kelley dinner tonight.

4. You are referring to yourself as Michael now? Well isn’t that fancy!

But seriously, Robertson coming back for the Boston series is big.

5. gbyanks says:

the 40 man is at 39 now right? we 60 dayed cervelli and called up sizemore and then dfa cabral and daley but didnt add anyone. Plus odds are that Nova is going to the 60 day. So 38 spots for the 40 man?

• mitch says:

That’s too much flexibility. I’m getting uncomfortable. Can they throw a couple single A guys who have no chance of contributing until 2016 on there to get to an even 40?

• Ed says:

Cabral was removed from the 40 man to add Daley. Daley was a different type of DFA – if you made your major league debut more than 3 years ago, you have to go thru waivers before you can be optioned to the minors. His DFA was to go thru waivers, not to be removed from the 40 man.

6. qwerty says:

I wonder when Robertson’s next injury as a closer will come.

• TWTR says:

What’s the league average for injuries to relievers? Take that and subtract the leg injuries he has had, and then multiply by 0.

• M-Three says:

This is one of the things that had me worried about D-Rob taking over as closer. He was never on the DL as the set-up man but twice now he has injuries less than a week into getting the job.

Most of you will disagree with me but I would stay with Kelley as closer. Kelley has looked very good in the 9th and isn’t throwing a lot of pitches per outing like D-Rob does.

• Mike Axisa says:

Pitches per Inning

2014 Kelley: 15.8
        2013 Kelley: 18.4

2014 Robertson: 15.0
        2013 Robertson: 15.9

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

How does the different inning contribute to injury? You can’t possibly tell me you’ve seen enough to make some sort of correlation.

• M-Three says:

I believe the injuries are the result of D-Rob putting too much pressure on himself. He has always had the safety net of Mariano Rivera. Now with Mo gone he is once again trying too hard to fill his shoes and that is leading to those DL stints.

7. will says:

Well isn’t that awesome, your 0.00 ERA 97mph mop up man falls farther on the totem pole, don’t worry Hughes/Phelps, your job is secure.

8. will says:

Dont get me wrong, glad Robertson is back :)

9. Dan says:

I’m glad Cabral is staying around. Obviously he blew up in his last outing, but I really think he has potential and could still be a decent LOOGY.

10. Steve (different one) says:

This rock keeps tigers away.