Record Last Week: 6-1 (39 RS, 26 RA)
Season Record: 60-38 (543 RS, 466 RA), 2.5 GB
Opponents This Week: @ Tampa Bay (3 games), @ White Sox (4 games)
Top stories from last week:
- Hideki Matsui started the new week off with a bang, launching a walk-off homer in the series opener against the O’s on Monday. Sergio Mitre’s pinstriped debut was good enough to earn him a win on Tuesday, and AJ Burnett did his thing to close out the series in style.
- After sweeping Baltimore out of town, the Yanks welcomed the Jason Giambi-less A’s to the Bronx. CC Sabathia outdueled local kid Vin Mazzaro on Thursday, and Joba Chamberlain dominated Oaktown for the team’s eighth straight win on Friday. The streak came to an end thanks to an Al Aceves meltdown the next day, but Derek Jeter steered the team back into the winner’s circle with a clutch two-run single yesterday and wrapped up a 9-1 homestand.
- Unfortunately, it’s not all good news as Chien-Ming Wang felt pain in his injured shoulder. First he was just going to get a third opinion from the almighty Dr. James Andrews, but now he’s actually going to head out to Birmingham so Andrews can check him out. All we can do is hope for the best.
- The Yankees also lost part-time centerfielder Brett Gardner for at least two weeks when he broke his thumb on a slide into second. It’s really unfortunate because Melky Cabrera’s production has been heading south since April.
- Thankfully, things are looking up for Ian Kennedy, who appears to be ahead of schedule in his rehab from an aneurysm and plans to get throw some innings in winter ball.
- MLB’s trade deadline is this Friday, and while things started out quietly, the Yanks have since been linked to everyone from Cliff Lee to Chad Qualls to Scott Downs. But remember, trading for big name pitchers doesn’t always work out.
- Oh, and Brett Tomko was DFA’ed. And there was much rejoicing.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.