Fan Confidence Poll: August 31st, 2009By
Record Last Week: 4-2 (43 RS, 24 RA)
Season Record: 82-48 (739 RS, 613 RA), 6.0 games up
Opponents This Week: @ Baltimore (3 games), @ Toronto (4 games)
Top stories from last week:
- The Yanks looked flat coming off Monday’s off day, however they almost mounded a big late inning comeback until Joe Girardi decided to bunt it away. Andy Pettitte got the team back on track the next day, but three batters doomed AJ Burnett before Phil Coke put the game out of the reach on Thursday. It was the Yanks first series loss at home since that Nationals series way back when.
- The sub-.500 White Sox came to the rainy Bronx next, and Robbie Cano started the series off with a walk-off homer after CC Sabathia‘s sterling effort. Sergio Mitre (yes, Sergio Mitre) was the hero in Saturday’s win, then the bullpen did it’s thing in relief of Joba for the sweep on Sunday.
- Ian Kennedy’s comeback from an aneurysm continues to go well, but Jorge Posada‘s non-throwing hand got dinged up a little. Pitching prospect Dellin Betances went down with Tommy John surgery, but at least Damaso Marte has looked strong in his return from a bum shoulder. Oh, and Joba Rules were revised yet again.
- Two of the Yankees main rivals added significant pieces during the week, as the Red Sox hauled in Billy Wagner while the Angels imported Scott Kazmir. The Bombers didn’t just sit on their hands though, they screwed around with Boston by claiming a few of their players on waivers and expressing interest in Brad Penny for the fifth starter’s spot. Andy Pettitte even hinted that he’d like to return next year.
- George Steinbrenner is being sued over the idea for the YES Network. An old boss of mine used to say that if you’re not being sued, then no one’s noticing what you’re doing.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.