Aug

Fan Confidence Poll: August 24th, 2009

Record Last Week: 4-2 (39 RS, 36 RA)
Season Record: 78-46 (696 RS, 589 RA), 7.5 games up
Opponents This Week: vs. Texas (3 games), vs. White Sox (3 games)

Top stories from last week:

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.

View Results
Categories : Polls

1. Every victory is a step closer to October, and a step closer to clinching before that final west coast trip

• Tom Zig says:

22 games between now and the West Coast trip.

With a magic # of 32. We’re gonna have to put some serious work in to clinch before then

2. There’s only one question left to be answered this year:

Will Joe Girardi be changing his number to 28 during the offseason, or will he decide to keep 27 because the first title is the only one that’s symbolic?

3. My head said nine, my heart said ten. I listened to my heart ’cause Babe Ruth came to me in a dream and before he left he said “Follow your heart, kid, and you’ll never go wrong.”

/Benny the Jet’d

4. I spent much of the game last night listening to Sterling and Suzyn so my confidence level is a 15 right now. Those two just looooove themselves some Mark Teixeira, Derek Jeter, CC Sabathia and Hideki Matsui right now.

5. Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

The only minor league teams in the Yankees farm system that definitely will not make the playoffs are the DSL Yankees 1 and the Charleston Riverdogs.

I like that, even though it doesn’t mean that much.

6. Jamal G. says:

Via Twitter, Bronx Banter’s Cliff Corcoran brings us this tidbit:

Pettitte’s hinting about 2010: http://bit.ly/vifdp. CC, AJ, Joba, Andy, Hughes, with Wang as the alternate? Yeah, that’d work.

That possibility makes me so confident in this team’s future. With a quintet of CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, Joba Chamberlain, Andy Pettitte and Phil Hughes, and Ian Kennedy, Zach McAllister, Ivan Nova and Wilkins De la Rosa backing them up for depth in 2010, this team’s pitching looks like a perennial powerhouse.

Also, those nine names don’t even factor in the potential contributions from rehabilitating starters Chien-Ming Wang (shoulder) and George Kontos (elbow), and wild cards in Alan Horne and Christian Garcia. Now, the latter might be turned into a reliever, but the point still stands: that is what you call pitching depth.

• danny says:

thats very true. Everybody talks about the red sox pitching depth in the minors but i think the yankees have just as much depth or even more than they do. look at what the yankees have done to bowden and bard who are considered the future of the sox rotation while hughes, joba, robertson have faired pretty well against the sox. Cashman and the rest of the organization dont get enough credit for starting to turn around the minor leagues and getting major contributions from the farm system like they did in the 90′s.

7. Riddering says:

*lays down a fiver and four ones*

Now, if Joba has a good start this week I’ll splurge for more.

8. CountryClub says:

I’ve been a 9 all along. The farm continues to improve and the big club has pitchers in the rotation in their prime (minus Andy) for the 1st time in years. The only thing that worries you a little is the age of the lineup. But Derek and Jorge seem like a strong bet to keep it for at least one more year. Arod is a question mark because he may or may not get the 2nd surgery this offseason.

9. CountryClub says:

I know a lot of people are down on Brackman, but this piece from Ashmore has a couple of confidence building tidbits in it. Seems like his velocity is back based on Nardi’s comments.

10. Jersey says:

Mike: This has probably been asked before, but are there any plans on creating a chart at season’s end tracking mean fan confidence ratings? Maybe with key points marked along the X-axis, i.e. ARod’s return, our 8th loss to the Sawx, the sweep at Fenway…

11. TLVP says:

I have to ask – when we’re talking about confidence… What do we mean? What are the expectations that the team is supposed to meet?

Right now,, for me a 10 this year is at least a WS apperance, 8 is making the LCS and 6 is making the post season

Longer term, to feel great (10) I’d have to reasonably expect us to

1) Reach post season 9/10 years
    2) Reach at least 3 WS in the next 10 years
    3) Win at least 2 WS in the next 10 years

I think that would be fair to view as a very good outcome for the next 10 years. 8/10 2/10 and 1/10 would be acceptable but not good

Do people agree with this? Otherwise one persons 10 might be another persons 7…

12. jim p says:

I do not want to see Matsui sign as a free agent with Boston.

Just mentioning…

13. Dela G says:

i’m def giving a 10 again

14. Little Bill says:

It’s a 10 again for me. You can’t get any better than the best record in baseball. In the next month it’ll be about clinching the division, clinching HFA, and getting prepared for the playoffs. The sooner they officially clinch those first two, the better they can rest players that are dinged up/fatigued and align their rotation for the first round.

Girardi is an idiot sometimes, but I think he really has done a good job thus far of keeping players fresh and I expect more of that down the stretch with such a big lead.

15. beantownbosoxh8er says:

Did anyone see this? Rice is out of his mind…he is a DBag now that he is in the hall….
    I didn’t mind him before but now….

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Yeah that’s been said before. Later he said he was “misquoted” and not included A-Rod and Jeter but he’s lying.

• I very rarely defend the media, but people need to stop claiming they were “misquoted” or that their statements were “taken out of context” unless they’re prepared to explain exactly how they were misquoted or exactly what about the context of their statements would have changed those statements’ meaning/interpretation. If you’re not willing to do that, then you’re basically accusing a journalist of either lying, in the case of claiming one was “misquoted,” or twisting your intent, in the case of being “taken out of context,” without explaining how or why.

And if you’re not willing and prepared to explain such things, then it’s reasonable for your audience to conclude that you’re full of shit and just trying to defend yourself for saying something stupid by taking cheap shots at an easy target (the media).

So, basically… Jim Rice = Asshole.

16. Reggie C. says:

The positives for the immediate future are obvious so I wont focus on ‘em. My concerns focus on how Joba is going to respond to his intermittent starts. I also am intrigued with AJ’s continuing philosophical divide over Posada’s pitch calling.

17. joesit.(ragman) says:

9–for me, only issue is the future, although it seems good. Once at the top only way to go is down. So needs to improve where we can and stay hungry with fresh new blood. Infield appears set for seeable future, starting pitching is close, bullpen always needs tinkering. So that leaves outfield and bench. Sentiments aside for me Swish is #4 Gardy #5 sith room for improvement in all starting OF.

18. beantownbosoxh8er says:

and I am sorry if this is an off track topic i posted before.

19. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

10. All that’s left is to play the games. This team is absolutely ready and able to bring home #27. Time to get it done.

20. handtius says:

I’m a 9. Been an 8 all year. Bumped it up a few weeks back. I can’t go 10, because that would mean no room for improvement and there is always room for improvement. I like our farm system, but I would like to see a possible replacement for Jeter (down the line. he’s killing it right now) and some outfield sluggers. That’s all nitpicking, because this team that we have right here is ridiculous. I’d say just below the 98 team. I may slip in a 10 when we win #27.

21. PinstripesForeverDouglas says:

Right now I’m feeling an 8 in confidence. Honestly, it would have been 9 if not for what happened on Saturday. Still, I must say after last night’s tremendous win, my vote is far closer to 9 as it has ever been this year. We finally prove we could win on the road, CC is growing into a legend and this team had the familar flare of confidence & groove in their eyes- I have not seen that in awhile. I’ll say this the only way my vote ever gets to 9 is after we get past the 1st round again & a 10 if we get to the W.S. againg. I do believe a 9 is coming this year; hoping a 10 as well ;)