Record Last Week: 0-3 (12 RS, 18 RA)
Season Record: 0-3 (12 RS, 18 RA, 1-2 pythag. record), 3.0 games back in AL East
Opponents This Week: @ Orioles (three games, Mon. to Weds.), Thurs. OFF, vs. Angels (three games, Fri. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The Yankees opened the season with three games at Tampa Bay, their home away from home. The Rays won the first game in walk-off fashion and the Yankees’ comeback fell short in game two. Tampa completed the sweep with a shutout win yesterday.
- Injury News: Michael Pineda has been playing catch and will throw long-toss this week. Boone Logan is fine after a bout with back spasms. David Aardsma threw his first bullpen session since having Tommy John surgery last July. Andy Pettitte will appear in a minor league game tomorrow.
- The Yankees traded George Kontos for Chris Stewart and optioned Frankie Cervelli to Triple-A. Justin Maxwell was designated for assignment and claimed by the Astros. Bill Hall was released at his request, and Jorge Vazquez was cut as well. The Yankees also claimed Cody Eppley off waivers and signed Ramon Ortiz for minor league depth.
- Eduardo Nunez will get a lot of playing time against left-handed starters. David Phelps and Clay Rapada made the Opening Day roster as the final two relievers.
- The Yankees topped FanGraphs’ organizational rankings for the third straight year. They opened the season with their lowest payroll since 2007.
- The Joey Votto and Matt Cain contracts could impact the Yankees down the road.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.