Jul

Monday Trade Deadline Open Thread

(Justin Edmonds/Getty Images)

The trade deadline is 4pm ET tomorrow, and the Yankees will definitely be in the market for a fill-in third baseman with Alex Rodriguez on the DL with a broken bone in his hand. Pitching help — both rotation and bullpen — could also be a target, though they figure to be done looking for outfielders following the Ichiro Suzuki pickup. We’re going to keep track of any Yankees-related trade deadline rumors right here throughout the day, so check back often for updates. The latest will be on the bottom. Here are Sunday’s rumors if you missed them…

• Stephen Drew is one potential option as the Yankees look for infield help. Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers worked for the Yankees in 2010 and knows their farm system, which could expedite things. Drew will likely clear waivers in August, so he doesn’t necessarily have to be traded by tomorrow. Joe looked at him in-depth last week. [Joel Sherman]
  • “I don’t think they are even in on it,” said someone in the know about the Yankees and Chase Headley. Yesterday we heard that the asking price was a bit too rich. [Sherman]
  • Cliff Lee is on the market and the Phillies intend to trade him either before the deadline or in the offseason to clear payroll. They obviously want a monster haul in return, but the Yankees won’t get involved because they don’t want to take on his contract. [Buster Olney & Sherman]
  • We heard yesterday that the Yankees had interest in Rafael Betancourt, but they have not contacted the Rockies about the right-handed reliever. [Sherman]
  • The Yankees are prioritizing defense in their search for infield help. They have players ahead of Ty Wigginton on their shopping list, unsurprisingly. [Jon Heyman]
  • The Yankees are not close to any trade as of this afternoon, but that is always subject to change rather quickly. [Olney]

1. Brian S. says:

If the Phillies ate a little money do you think they would be open to trade Chase Utley? Could he play third base?

• MannyGeee says:

relatively convinced they would be willing to move ANYONE right now.

• Reggie C. says:

The man is owed 30 million total over the next two seasons. By little, you must mean half; at least in case of the Yanks. I’d rather trade prospects for a longer term 3B solution. Arod can DH next season. Utley doesn’t have an immovable contract, but it’s darn close to being one if the Phillies don’t pick up a significant chunk.

• Knoxvillain says:

More than half. His career is pretty much over at this point and another DL trip this year is probably going to happen. Out of the 30 million, they will have to cover at least 18 million.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

As long as he didn’t walk off the field clutching his shoulder, it’s just fine in my book.

2. Eddard says:

I wouldn’t take the Lee contract either. That’d be money better spent on Robbie Cano and Curtis Granderson. With the recent struggles of the offense we might need to pick up a stop gap at 3B. We’re so far ahead of the rest of the division that we don’t have to worry about them. We have to worry about LA who just got Greinke and Texas who always beats us to the punch. Detroit is also dangerous if they upgrade.

• gc says:

But last week, you said we’d be fine with Nixy and Chavy at third base! Oh well, another week, another knee-jerk reaction from you.

3. jjyank says:

That’s a big pass, Mr. Lee. You had your chance to play here. Enjoy pitching for a crappy team.

4. Get Phelps Up says:

Kinda OT, but in Ty Hensley’s debut today for the GCL Yanks against the GCL Tigers he started off shaky, allowing a double and a HR to the first 2 batters he faced, but then got a lineout and swinging strikeout, then walked 2 before inducing a groundout.

In his 2nd inning, he allowed 2 leadoff singles before inducing a run-scoring double play ball and another groundout.

His final line: 2IP, 4H, 3R/ER, 2BB, 1K.

• jjyank says:

Well this is an open thread, I think you’re good. Not a great line, but it was his first pro apppearance. Just glad to see him get started.

• BK2ATL says:

Can someone explain to me how he shot up to a top 10 Yankees prospect BEFORE ever throwing one pitch for the organization???

Am I missing something there or rightfully skeptical of that list???

• MattG says:

You’re missing something.

• BK2ATL says:

He’s…done nothing yet….

• MattG says:

No, I’ve done nothing yet. This is why I was not selected in the first round of the Rule 4 draft, or given 1.2 million dollars for my signature.

He’s done something. And what he’s done earns him a ranking.

• BK2ATL says:

I guess his contract determines that??? Andrew Brackman say hello. So does Cito Culver.

He just pitched today for the 1st time within the organization. I guess Rafael Depaula should be #1 then, using your criteria.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Apples and oranges. Brackman was a high-risk project needing surgery. A whole lot of people think Culver was an overreach.

Shoulder “abnormality” aside, Hensley was considered a pretty safe pick.

5. Jersey Joe says:

Does anyone think Kevin Kouzmanoff from KC could make any sense as a short-term solution at third? He’s a great fielder and has righty power which is something we need with no A-Rod. His OBP is nothing special, but his line in Petco from 2007-2009 is .263/.309./.436, along with 20 bombs/82 RBI’S. YS3 can only help that. He never hit well in Petco, but he always killed lefties.

He really has been terrible for KC’s affiliates this year, but is it worth a try to acquire him for next to nothing?

• Knoxvillain says:

If you’re in the minors for KC, that’s a no. Especially if you’re sucking in the minors. He’d be worse than Nix.

6. Nice Scheister says:

I would grab Lee. They were willing to offer practically that extact contract a year or so ago. The only starter who is signed beyond this year is CC (non-arb) and it never hurts to have a more solid rotation. Hiroki has been great as have Hughes and Nova, recently but a chance to grab a guy like Lee and not have to worry about the contract negoations are a no brainier. Unless they want the entire farm, I’d do the deal. Say Delin, Nunez and ManBan (or just Nova and Nunez) for Lee and half of the would be buy-out paid. Pitching wins championships.

If the questions marks straighten out to exclamation points next year you’re looking at a possible rotation of CC, Lee, Pineda and the possibility of Petittie, Hiroki and Hughes coming back with Phelps waiting in the wings.

• Rainbow Connection (futurely Dummies Playing w Balls and/or RI$P FTW) says:

they were willing to offer the contract yes, but that didnt cost them prospects. now its both the contract AND prospects. completely different.

no way in hell id give up nova in a cliff lee deal

• Knoxvillain says:

I wouldn’t. He is owed too much money and isn’t impressive this year. And if the Yankees still plan on getting under the 189m cap by 2014, they need that money for Cano and probably Granderson. I’d rather have Cano and Granderson then Lee. I’d rather have Granderson or Cano instead of Lee, actually.

• MannyGeee says:

nah. I would roll the dice with a pretty nice rotation as it sits today and not trade prospects for that contract. UNLESS Philly was going to foot like 1/3 to 1/2 of the bill… I would take Cliff Lee for $10M a season.

• jjyank says:

Tilapia and I were talking about the concept of a “victory lap”. By that I mean on some long term contracts, you may be more willing to tolerate a player’s decline if you can get enough value early on. Right now the Yankees would be risking paying for Lee’s “victory lap” while losing almost 2 years of that front end value. No thanks.

• MannyGeee says:

this.

And oh by the way, backloaded contract like a muthafucka….

?signed by Philadelphia as a free agent 12/14/10
        ?11:$11M, 12:$21.5M, 13:$25M, 14:$25M, 15:$25M, 16:$27.5M club

• Gonzo says:

So basically after this season you’re on the hook for either 3yr/$87.5mm or 4yr/102.5mm. He turns 34 in August. Not everyone offer their best prospects at once.

• Reggie C. says:

Seriously.

The Phillies could be willing to eat $25 million and that would still be too much owed money for my taste. Amaro is leaking Lee rumors to goad a semi-interested team into jumping first off the cliff…

• Reggie C. says:

Very Nicely put.

I havent come across this particular usage of the term “victory lap” before, but i like it.

7. Chad Gaudin the Friendly Ghost says:

I think it’s so hilarious that the rumor is that the Rangers are talking to Philly about Lee. Lee took less money to go to a team who is going to trade him, maybe to a team who already paid prospects once to get him.

• Get Phelps Up says:

He took less money to go the Philies because they were younger and had such a big window of contention…and not even 2 years later he is gonna probably be traded for prospects. That’s irony at its best right there.

• Knoxvillain says:

I think it’s great because he wanted a championship so bad and now he will probably never get one. I love it. Fuck Cliff Lee, I hope he gets traded to the Twins.

• Chad Gaudin the Friendly Ghost says:

This.

Also, the next time someone signs a long deal with a team where Ruben Amaro is the GM they’d better not get comfortable. If I were Lee this would piss me off.

Amaro+Lee. Those two dirtbags deserve each other.

• Knoxvillain says:

I’d be pretty pissed off too, but good think I’m not Cliff Lee. So much win today in the deadline rumors (assuming their true) for Lee and Beckett.

• YanksFanDownSouth says:

I’m with you, brother, and I’m from his home state. Lee had the chance to play for the greatest sports franchise in the history of sports and he threw it away for the chance to play for a perennial loser.

• Fernando says:

Serves him right. He didn’t want to be here, no need to take on that ridiculously back loaded contract. No way he gets traded here.

8. Jacob says:

I think they should just stick with in house options for third right now considering there really is nothing out there, Laird Ronnier and Adams but try them in the order of Ronnier(give him the most rope but not too much) Adams then Laird, I put Laird last because he already came up before so give the other two a first look.

9. Jacob says:

I think in order of needs it is now looking like 3B,NON OOGY RP,C,SP. Honestly after the 3B they could be arranged any way

10. Knoxvillain says:

Am I the only one who wouldn’t care if the Yankees don’t make any pick ups that aren’t depth related? Like another Ramon Ortiz/Jack Cust type guy. They don’t really need anyone right now. Of course I wouldn’t mind if they got a good player depending on what they gave up for him. I expect the Yankees to stay quiet this deadline, and I have no problems with it.

• MannyGeee says:

a NON-OOGY and a utility infielder would be just fine by me. although I would literally shit myself if the Rays became sellers and Cashman could ninja himself some Jose Molina….

• Knoxvillain says:

I loved Molina when he was on the Yankees. Him and Nieves were my favorite BUCs ever. I’m not sure why, but I loved Nieves. I don’t care too much for the reliever idea because Joba will be back in a couple of days, and then Phelps will stay in the bullpen with Garcia once Pettitte comes back. A utility INF I’d be alright with. Jerry Hariston, Jr., please.

• Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

How about a trade of Chad Qualls and Ramito Pena for Joba Chamberlain and Eduardo Nunez?

11. to the track...to the wall..we are tied! says:

Fuck Cliff Lee and the horse he rode in on.

Every time I see his smug face I’m filled with the urge to defecate.

12. Comnsnse says:

In another context,Boras would be known as an “ambulance chaser”! I side with the “let em walk” group because the money in professional sports driven by the agents has gotten totally out of the park. Cano is a terrific player who definitely deserves a terrific contract. At 29 I’d offer a 5year deal for 25mm. Great bucks but not long term. However,if the yankees have learned anything ,it’s that any player’s performance can tank at any time for a variety of reasons. Utley,injury. Howard,injuries and body type,Bay,change of scenery and injuries,Santana,ad infinitum. Aroid is the best of all examples,unless of course someone wants to eat four more years after three mediocre ones! PS,the org. does have a few above average infielders namely,Adams,Joseph,Pirela and Custodio.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

Ian Kinsler is pretty similar to Cano and signed a 5/$75 million contract before the season so I think 5/$135 for Cano is excessive.
      He’s probably a better player than Kinsler (though not be THAT much) so I’d have a hard time going above 5/$90 million.

• MannyGeee says:

5y/$100M all day long, but this 10 year contract bullshit is insane. With that said, I have zero doubt in my mind if Robbie hits the open market, someone will be juuuuuuust stupid enough to offer a kings ransom for him.

This smells like something Arte Moreno would do.

• Gonzo says:

Howie just got a contract in the offseason. The Dodgers on the other hand…

• MannyGeee says:

fantastic points, I forgot about Howie…

AND the Doyers are amidst a spending spree that would make a drunken sailor blush…. I can see it.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

How could anyone give a middle infielder a contract till they’re 40 years old?

Most of those guys are washed up by the time they’re 35 if not sooner.

Robbie’s bat and arm likely could support a move to 3B or even 1st base but I still couldn’t go any further than a 5 year deal.

• YankeeGrunt says:

Kinsler was bought out of a $10 mil club option for 2013 and, I think, a $7 mil salary for this year. On the open market as a free agent he gets more than 5/$75.

13. beerisgood says:

I know Trevor Plouffe is currently on the DL (probably coming back in a week), but I think he’d be a great pick up in the absence of Alex. He can play a number of infield positions, and can also play the OF.

.259/.330/.525/.855

14. Derek says:

Pretty easy to pass on Lee given the salary implications and upcoming austerity budget.

I wonder though, perhaps they’ll look to swing a deal with Philly for Blanton and Wigginton? Obviously the price has to be right for Cashman. Blanton has always had good control but the one concern is the long ball. I don’t think Garcia can be trusted, and I like Phelps out of the pen thus far. I’m not saying Blanton can be trusted, but I think he’s an upgrade over Garcia until we get Andy back.

As for Wigginton, he hasn’t done much this year, but his track record says he’d be a good fit for a platoon with Chavez.

• Kosmo says:

Since Garcia began starting again in July he´s 2-2 with a 3.90 ERA in about 30 IP. That´s very good for a 5th SP. If NY can break even on his starts until or if Pettitte returns then he´s done his job. That´s another 10 starts or so.

• Derek says:

Yea there’s no denying that Garcia has done well since taking over for Pettitte, but I’m just concerned he bombs like he did in the beginning of the season. But you’re right, adding an extra starter would probably just be a luxury. A right handed 3rd baseman would be my priority.

15. Jonathan says:

Sticking with the Phillies here, What about Carlos Ruiz? If they’re willing to sell anything not nailed down wouldn’t he be perfect?

16. Kevin G. says:

Don’t understand why the Rangers (or anybody) would give up a top prospect to get Lee. He’s expensive and he isn’t even pitching well this year.

17. Derek says:

…and when I say the price has to be right, obviously no big prospects like Williams, Austin, Sanchez, Banuelos, etc.

18. Nick says:

Don’t know the cost but I feel like Alex Gordon should be the target.

19. Kosmo says:

Wishful thinking on my part but I get the feeling NYs FO will pull a trade off for a quality 3b in the 13 hour. I don´t think Chavez/Nix platoon will cut it. Mustelier is really now an OF, Adams is still to raw and Laird well is Laird.

I like Drew but not enough to hand 3B over to him, a position which takes a period of adjustment.

I like Lee alot but NY has one of the best starting staffs in the bigs. Pass.

maybe NY could go after a Betancourt and Ramon Hernandez package deal.

20. Boys of Summer says:

Not sure this team will go past the first round in the playoffs and it seems the competition is eager to get better by tomorrow

21. Boys of Summer says:

Yanks should go after Lee…he can always be traded in the offseason. I do not understand cashman…be aggressive for once! I am not sure this team will go past the first round in the playoffs and it seems the competition is eager to get better by tomorrow

22. FIPster Doofus says:

Fuck the declining Cliff Lee. He blew his chance to be a Yankee, and they don’t need starting pitching anyway. If they’re in the mood to make a big move, it should be for a hitter.

23. Jimmy McNulty says:

Lots of big contracts on the block and a realistic chance to unload all of them:

Josh Beckett
    Carl Crawford
    Jon Lester
    Cliff Lee

We also saw D-Lowe and Burnett get dealt last offseason, I can’t recall big contracts like this getting dealt so often. Carlos Lee was dealt with just a year left but that hardly counts. These are all big deals with big money left on the deals. We might see more big contracts getting dealt these days, interesting to see.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

If Cashman could trade Arod, he would be voted executive of the millenium.

• Gonzo says:

Vernon Wells was traded for Napoli. That’s pretty tough to top.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

Arod has 5 years and $114 million left on his deal after this year and is 37 years old.

Wells had 4/$86 and was 33 years old when he was traded.

Trading Arod would certainly trump trading Vernon Wells and I think Arod is as close to untradeable as you can get.

• Gonzo says:

I think the value of A-Rod’s contract minus his value on the field (which is positive) is smaller than Wells’ contract minus his value on the field (in his case it’s a negative value) PLUS Napoli’s value.

I know Napoli was traded, but just evaluating the trade in a vacuum.

You can disagree, but that’s how I see it.

• MannyGeee says:

and plus, there’s that no trade clause in his contract to contend with…

*makes wanking motion*

• MannyGeee says:

” I can’t recall big contracts like this getting dealt so often.”

Cause or effect? is it a trend to trade all of these large contracts, or are contracts getting so ridiculously big over the past 5 seasons that this is the “new normal”?

roll the dice on a questionible hot commodity, if it fizzles out you trade 1/2 the contract to the next guy for a reclaimation project…. player gets a ‘new start’ (AJ’s Electric Stuff says hi), buying GM gets to roll the dice on a high upside (worked out Aces for Pittsburg), selling GM is a genius for getting an albatross off your roster (ninja Cash).

As the great Micheal Scott once said, its a “win-win-win”!

24. chuck says:

Cliff Lee > CC

I am a fan of phelps and want him to start soon. But Cliff Lee’s contract isn’t so bad… less than what we were going to pay for him. I think it comes down to whether we are bringing Andy and Hiroki back next year. Our pitching has been really really good though.

25. Athenian says:

As frustrating as Nova and Hughes can be, the Yankees really need to go after a bat. Cliff Lee is in decline and his contract is ridiculous.

26. Adam says:

Wild proposal..trade for a personal catcher for each starter. Minds…blown.

27. Boys of Summer says:

I am not content with the Yankees not making a trade. Are we all watching the same team? They have not hit with risp all year…this problem will not fix itself and will result in a loss in the first round of the playoffs…same as always!

• MattG says:

You’re right. You should stop watching, and, by extension, stop commenting on this blog.

• gc says:

Still waiting to hear your brilliant and aggressive trade proposals.

• Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:

” They have not hit with risp all year”

Except for when they hit .276 with RISP in April, or .296 with RISP over the past 31 games. They were awful in May and most of June, not all year. Even if it was a year long problem, a trade isn’t going to magically make everyone else on the team magically better with RISP.

28. Billy says:

I don’t get the hype behind Chase Headley. 267 AVG, 12 hr, 51 RBI and people want to give up prospects for him. He is a bench player is New York

29. Billy says:

The guy I’d want Yankees to get is Adam Dunn. He is a beast with a bat, 31 HR, 71 RBI. Put him in Yankee Stadium and watch im hit 45+HR. He can be our DH/LF and start 1B when Teix needs a day off

• Gonzo says:

I’d love it too, but the White Sox are leading their division and wouldn’t want to sell pieces that will help them reach the playoffs.

• BK2ATL says:

Adam Dunn is not an OF. If you’d seen him out there, you’d understand. Just imagine Jim Thome manning LF. That’s a quite a similar sight.

AND, before you say it, Dunn couldn’t even play a decent backup 1B. He’s only a DH, which is why he’s in the AL now.

• Reggie C. says:

Pretty sure the White Sox qualify as “buyers”. They just added F.Liriano a couple days ago.

30. Nathan says:

If Philadelphia truly trades away Cliff Lee, I will laugh. Philly traded Cliff Lee once and yet he insisted to go back. Hell, even if they don’t trade him, he’s got to know that they he’s the odd one out and not in their plans.

I just hope that he doesn’t go to Texas because that 1-2 punch of Darvish and Lee would be dangerous come playoffs. Off topic, how is it that they could potentially trade for Lee TWICE…how deep is their frickin farm system?

That said, I wouldn’t mind Lee in pinstripes if Philly at a HUGE chunk of his contract but then again, why would they?

31. NYCSPORTZFAN says:

I’d be interested in Vargas and League from Seattle if i was Cashman.. Obviously, what the M’s would want would be key.. I think Vargas would fit in well as the 5th starter, and gives us the lefty were missign with Andy, and hes quit better then Freddy, and i think he could possibly fit nicely in the bullpen as a 5th-6th inning type guy who can give u multiple innings..

League would be solid additon becasue we don’t know how long Epply will be solid and joba is unknown, and Qualls is terrible.. League would really give us great depth to the bullpen..

• BK2ATL says:

League is being torched this year. He’s already pitched his way out of the closer role in Seattle 2x this year. That’s gotta be some other level of suckiness, considering how bad that team is.

Vargas is underwhelming. I don’t think he’s any better than the combo of Phelps and Garcia. Check his road/home and grass/turf splits alone. All of this comes into play at YS3. Since there’s no real upgrade, other than that he’s lefty, no need to trade for him.

32. Joey H. says:

This may sound off base, but what about Broxton?

33. RI$P FTW says:

If George were alive he’s get Beckett in a heartbeat!!!??!!!

The man is a winner!!!$%%^&!

mew.

34. MattG says:

Let’s get Youkilis!

Oooo, wouldn’t that be fun? Too bad the White Sox haven’t tanked of late.

35. RI$P FTW says:

PEDroia for 3B!!!

36. I’m a huge fan of trading for Headley, but honestly…what do we have to give up that the Padres are interested in? Like if he could be had for a package of Nunez,Phelps/Warren,Williams/Austin, and idk 2 more prospects go for it. If we’d have to give up a Nova/Hughes or multiple members of the A ball super team is it really worth it?

37. Betty Lizard says:

I wish I could have a nice fresh trade.
    But I’m not expecting one. :-(

And I still have flashbacks to salivating all over my studio day the earth stood still—er, the day we almost got Cliff Lee. I’m still bitter and I hate his wife . . . .

• Nathan says:

I still remember where I was that day: waiting for my girlfriend to get her hair done and me on my iPhone. The elation of “We got Cliff Lee!” to “Wait, what?” to “You’re kidding me! Texas got him?!?”.

And then again that winter waiting for him to sign.

I would love to see him in pinstripes just to satisfy that “what if” but logically I know it doesn’t make sense due to the whole budget issue.

Now if George were still alive…

38. Reggie C. says:

If the Astros are indeed fielding offers for JED LOWRIE, Cashman has got to make a call. Lowrie can play 3B and be a heck of a back-up player when Arod gets back. Lowrie wouldnt be a half bad trade chip in his own right over the off season.

source: MLBTraderumors

39. Grover says:

Are players on the disabled list allowed to be traded?