2013 Season: 85-77 (637 RS, 671 RA, 77-85 pythag. record), didn’t qualify for playoffs
Top stories from last week:
- The Yankees re-signed Derek Jeter to a new one-year contract worth $12M that may or may not help their luxury tax situation. The deal replaces his $9.5M club option for 2014.
- A total of 147 players and 13 Yankees became free agents on Thursday morning. Among those players are Robinson Cano, Hiroki Kuroda, Curtis Granderson, and Phil Hughes. The Yankees will make the qualifying offer to Cano and Kuroda but not Hughes. They’re on the fence about making the offer to Granderson.
- Some executives expect the bidding for Masahiro Tanaka to fall in the $75-100M range. MLB and NPB are still working on an agreement that will revise the posting system. Tanaka can not be posted until a deal is reached.
- Among the players the Yankees reportedly had interest in last week are Jacoby Ellsbury, Brian McCann, Matt Garza, and Chase Headley. Kevin Youkilis’ agent confirmed he has not had any conversations with the team about returning next season.
- The Yankees were middle of the pack in Baseball America’s near-term farm system rankings. The team reached an agreement to move their High-A affiliate from Tampa to Ocala, though it is not yet final.
- There is still no update on the coaching staff. Contracts for everyone on the staff expired Thursday night.
- MLB’s lawyers are seeking a dismissal of Alex Rodriguez‘s lawsuit.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.