Apr

Fan Confidence Poll: April 14th, 2014

Record Last Week: 4-3 (29 RS, 32 RA)
Season Record: 7-6 (49 RS, 54 RA, 6-7 pythag. record)
Opponents This Week: Mon. OFF, vs. Cubs (two games, Tues. and Weds.), @ Rays (four games, Thurs. to Sun.)

Top stories from last week:

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.

Categories : Polls

1. Yangeddard Solarte says:

I called Dad last night to discuss our vote this week. He said if we win tonight’s ballgame we’ll be at a 12, if we lose we’ll be at a 2. So today we’re at a 12, up from 11 last week.

4/5 of our starters threw gems their last time out. Nova was absolutely brilliant last night. We love the rotation. We love the pen, who is doing all of this without Mo or Drob.

Who was our unsung hero last night? The rich man’s Dustin Pedroia, Frankie Cervelli. It was Frankie’s hustle and energy that led to the winning run after replay overturned Balkin Bob Davidson’s bad call. His youthful exuberance will be greatly missed as he recovers from the hamstring pull.

Offense has come alive in YS. Beltran, McCann, Ellsbury all great pickups. Solarte still hitting. Gardner hitting. Ichiro contributing. They are firing on all cylinders right now.

2. CountryClub says:

Assuming X-rays on McCann are negative and Jeter’s quad is minor, I’m an 8.

3. TWTR says:

7. There are some tangible and encouraging positives, but the roster issues that are exacerbated by a lack iof ML ready position prospects are a real concern.

• I'm One says:

I kinda agree. We know the issues in the minors, but if Brendan Ryan weren’t hurt, the only position they’d be lacking at (right now, at least) is 1B. Canzler is waiting to be called up, but we don’t have a clue as to how he’d do. Plenty of depth at C and there are enough bodies to cover the IF positions, even if there are no clear starters waiting for an opportunity.

Anyway, I’m still at a 7. Hoping the injuries are all minor and that Tex and Ryan return soon. BTW, anyone heard an update on Ryan?

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I’m not sure if I give Canzler a 40-man spot right now with this crunch if all he can do is back up Tex. I’d rather keep the versatility and go with Sizemore. The problem is that, if you need a second guy, you’re looking at a bunch of catchers and outfielders. Do we really need Ramon Flores filling that final spot on the 25-man?

4. dars says:

They should place Brian Roberts in the DL and bring up Scott Sizemore. I know he is not in the 40-man roster but find a way. Send down one of Sean Green or Vidal Nuno. To me Cesar Cabral is a better option as a lefty than Nuno. Nuno should be streched as a starter but for short relief, Cabral a better option. Bring up Russ Canzler with that roster position. If Jeter is not better by tomorrow, DL as well and bring up Corban Joseph. Cervelli should be replaced by JR Murphy or Romine if the latter is eligible.

We can probalby survive with the quarter Anna, Solarte, Joseph and Sizemore for a while as infielders.

5. Makun-A Ta-Naka says:

If the Yanks DL Roberts, at least Sizemore gets a chance to improve the offense. I haven’t seen any video, but he seems to be lighting it up witht he bat almost nightly via Mike’s minor leagues summaries.

We all knew/know Roberts was/is a wasted signing and 40 man roster spot. Youkilis/Hafner 2.0 type stuff but without power or any sort of ceiling remaining. At least it was a cheap mistake, but really for all that money spent in the OF and Tanaka, Roberts sure seemed like a lazy signing.

Who comes up if Cervelli is DL’d, Romine or Murphy? I know you don’t want Murphy to lose any AB’s, but what better place to showcase trade bait than a few of DH/C starts a week in the show. With some BABIP luck or timely bombs al lah Montero vs Johnson, John Ryan’s trade value could uptick.

• Kosmo says:

Sizemore has been hitting well but he´s also struckout 16 times in 32 ABs.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

It’ll keep all those folks who wanted Mark Reynolds so badly happy.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Also, that’s how he gets you into that fall sense of security.

• jjyank says:

True, but I think you pretty much have to call up Sizemore by the end of the month. He’s got some upside, and I think you have to see what you’ve really got before he can opt out.

• Giancarlo Murphy says:

What you’ve really got is a 50% K rate in the International League. If he wants to test the waters for a bench job in San Diego or Houston, I’m fine with him becoming this year’s Sam Pearce.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

In 32 at bats. Ignoring his entire playing history. While he’s mending from 2 years of injuries.

• Giancarlo Murphy says:

I’m not saying he’s washed up; I’m saying he doesn’t sound like he’s got his swing back yet to a major-league level. Saturday tells me power isn’t the most pressing concern. I don’t think, today, he’s enough of an answer to merit DFAing Claiborne. Let’s at least see who ends up on the DL by week’s end.

Besides, Chris Nelson’s next opt-out with the Reds is May 6th. There’s always another dumpster around the corner.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I’d put Nik Turley on the 60-day DL for a stale cookie and some coffee that’s been on the pot since this morning.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

He strikes out a lot, and walks an above average amount, and has good power, while playing average defense. I think this team could use a guy like that, personally.

SAMMY!!!!!

• jjyank says:

He’s also shaking off two years of rust and probably has more upside than someone like Anna or Solarte. I think the Yankees need to give him a fair shake in the MLB instead of having him opt out.

6. Mike HC says:

Fuck it … 8. I’m on board with this team. Enough hemming and hawing and nitpicking. There is enough talent here to do damage.

7. Zach says:

I think they will heat up but I also don’t think they are going to be like last year.
    They hit lighting in a bottle, they truly did.

8. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Still at an 8. Barring something unforseen with McCann, Jeter, or the two previously-injured players, we’re weathering this storm. Would love to see confirmation either way on where Roberts is headed by tomorrow. Don’t want to be playing two players short if both Roberts and Jeter are day-to-day.

The big bats are showing up, and the little guys are doing just enough. This year’s spare parts are still better than last year’s. Starting pitching has been encouraging, and we stand a decent chance of surviving CC’s early descent into the middle/back of the rotation. Is Shawn Kelley a perfect injury replacement? Nope, but he’s doing a hell of a lot better than other team’s primary closers at the moment.

We got this…….I think. Don’t quote me on it. ;)

9. stuckey says:

Sizemore has an attractive triple slash (.436/.500/.936) the scary part is he has 16ks in 32 PAs.

In other words, he’s 11 for 16 in ball put in play.

But Wheeler’s on the DL, so it’s really only him if Roberts is going to miss any time.

Were I the Yankees, I’d give him a first baseman’s glove this evening and throw him out there. He can play 2nd and 3rd, so nothing about playing on the line or seeing the ball come at him from the right side should be an issue.

He’s gotta get called up by May 1 anyway.

As for the 40 man, they can always park Campos, Ramirez or Turley (all of whom I believe are in extended spring training) there for what 50 more days (60 day DL can be retroactive, right?), or DFA Clairborne.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

They may wind up doing that anyway with Campos and Ramirez, but I’d really rather not park either of them on the 60-day if it’s not needed. Campos has missed enough development time already, and Ramirez could be on an MLB track. Then again, if it can be done retroactively, perhaps it’s not much in the grand scheme of things. I don’t mind them doing this with Turley.

Turley and Claiborne appear to be the most movable parts roster-wise here. They’ve gotten themselves in quite the pickle. I hope having five catchers on the 40-man is worth it.

I don’t think I really need Sizemore to play first. If anything, he allows you to not be stuck playing Solarte AND Anna every day until Jeter and Tex come back and avoids god-knows-what if Roberts can’t answer the bell.

Wish they would have been in on Ryan Roberts, but he signed an MLB deal anyway. That wasn’t going to happen on the Yanks. I already said my Nunez peace in the Game Thread last night. Not going back to that.

• stuckey says:

In a game in which your back-up catcher blew up his hammy and your starting catcher took a ball off his hand, arguing the wisdom of it becomes difficult, factoring in Sanchez had to be protected.

Yankees could’ve been looking at (may may still be) 2 of those 5 bring on the DL and two of them being on the 25 man.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

You’re right. The odds of losing two catchers on the same day isn’t very good, though….and I don’t know if that truly merits having five catchers on a roster just for that possibility.

I guess it beats having to find a career backup on the side of the road in an emergency.

• stuckey says:

Not much different than losing 2 of your infielders on the same day.

Yes, I know, given Jeter’s 2013 and Robert’s last 4 years, perhaps the argument can be made having another infielder on the 40 man would have been wise.

But then, Cervelli hasn’t exactly been a model of health his own self and what happened to McCann goes with the position territory.

10. mt says:

I am at a 7 – offense, although with bright spots from Beltran and Ellsbury, still is not scoring that much. It should be interesting what they do with roster tomorrow (although I am hearing tomorrow may get rained out).

Very encouraged by Tanaka and Pineda – Nova not as much (still pretty erratic) – Kuroda steady but we all know biggest question for him is August/September. I am not that encouraged by CC so far especially since he is basically here until 2017 at big money (unless he goes on DL for a shoulder injury).

Bullpen has also held up pretty well.

Actually taking a step back – it has only been 13 games and Tex, Jeter and Roberts (aging injury prone infielder now with a bad back early in season- can you spell Kevin Youkilis?) are already hurt.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I think that, at the very least, fan expectations are lower for Roberts than they were for Youk, and probably the team’s. I think Youk was expected to be out there every day all season. Roberts was expected to be out there until he fell apart, C3PO-style, which even Girardi knew would happen eventually.

It still actually hasn’t happened, though. Fish fingers crossed.

11. nyyankfan_7 says:

I can’t believe it, 20 some posts and no one clamoring for Stephen Drew……yet.

• nyyankfan_7 says:

Could I get your address please? I have a bill for a new computer monitor to send you because I just put my head through my old one after clicking on the above link.

What you don’t know is that I am a CPA whose ass has been glued to his desk chair for 80+ hours over the last week and hearing this song on April 14 threw me over the edge.

What a dick move Jorge.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

It’s a fun time of year for you, then.

I’m a lame duck social work administrator who’s already given his notice at his current job, so they could break every computer in here and i’ll be somewhere else in eight weeks.

• stuckey says:

Guy couldn’t step into the line-up (much less to 3rd, 2nd or 1st) this week anyway.

At this stage guy would need at least 2-4 weeks in Tampa and probably more like 4.

12. Brandon says:

Supposed to go to the game tomorrow. Think it gets rained out?

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I follow Tri-State Weather on FB, and it’s probably my favorite source for weather predictions. Just a dork and some weather models, usually doing a ton better than Accuweather or Weather.com. Here’s what he has to say:

“Good Monday morning! Today will be the last warm day for awhile. highs in the 70′s for most but cooler over LI with a mix of sun & clouds. Showers come in very late tonight and lasts through tomorrow with highs dropping through the 60′s and then the 50′s. Tuesday night the showers will end and it may end as some snow showers especially N&W but will be no big deal. Then we are very chilly on Weds with morning lows near or below freezing and highs near 50 on Weds and into the 50′s Thursday/Friday. We then watch a complex storm system for next weekend. As always the track and speed will determine if we get showers or we stay dry. Have a great day.”

13. stuckey says:

re: Sabathia.

If we’re going to prematurely panic about the guy, let’s point out that his K rate and K/BB are WAY above career norms.

His GB/FB %s and ratios are also at career bests.

And his BABiP, WHIP. LD% are nothing to be alarmed about.

And let’s face it, he made a bad pitch to Sizemore but has 2 men on because of a literal excuse me single and a ground ball.

If Sabathia can adjust and keep the ball in the park (his HR rate is the ONLY alarmingly high ‘indicator’) he can be a VERY effective starter who can go deep in games.

Where does this idea spring from that if you don’t sit in 93 or above you’re no better than a 5th starter?

That’s a ridiculous byproduct of panic.

There is absolutely no reason Sabathia can’t be as effective Pettitte was for the back-half of his career. He basically has Pettite’s baseball (at this moment). Throws from the left side and is a pitcher, not just a thrower.

Was Pettitte a 4-5th starter type?

So to the hand wringers, why can’t Sabathia being Petitte?

• Mike HC says:

CC can end up being Pettitte. Or end up being Cliff Lee. Or end up being any number of other lefties who threw about 90 and sucked. He will most likely end up being CC though, if I had to guess.

• stuckey says:

Of course it can go either way. But if you’re going to give the benefit of the doubt to any pitcher, I’d feel pretty comfortable giving it to the guy with a career 206-117 record.

And there’s statistical reason to as well. His ‘indicators’ are HIGHLY encouraging, the results just haven’t been good.

If he can learn to keep it in the park, he can be a very good pitcher.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I think some of what is said about CC is ridiculous, but we have to expect some decline towards the end of his deal and his not being the guy who carries the rotation on his back. It’s not at all outside the realm of possibility that some of that decline is happening earlier than expected, and happening since last season. He can be effective for sure, even though it’s been very spotty thus far this season (and, to his defense, has been during several Aprils in which he’s been just fine afterwards), but this team would be very well served to have two of the three young guys continue to show the promise they’ve shown thus far this season and remain healthy. They may very well be the anchors moving forward.

• stuckey says:

No, he may no longer be a guy who throws 240 innings to a 3 era like he did is his best Yankee season, but again, the leap people are making from ‘since he’s not longer a workhorse, carry the team on his back ace he’s a 5′ makes no sense.

People are WAAAY overreacting.

As to him being “spotty”. In reality, he’s had 3 tough innings (which count, of course) outta 19, and his ‘indicators’ aren’t just better than the results, they’re strong with a capital STRONG.

Me, I’m not a guy who makes predictions and first and foremost acknowledge anything can (and often does) happen. But I’m expecting a Sabathia that’s going to look a lot more effective than a lot of people seems to expect.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

You can’t discount those bad innings, whether it was one or five of them. They still happened, and they weren’t innings in which he loaded the bases, gave up a run, and got out of it.

I expect for him to be more effective. I’m not expecting vintage Sabathia. I’m actually fine with that. it’s just happening earlier than I thought it would.

• Preston says:

I’m on the fence about this. On the one hand his rate stats have been off the charts good. 9.95 K/9, 1.42 BB/9 and a 56.1% GB rate. 38.5% of flyballs he gives up aren’t going to leave the park. There has to be some bad luck involved. But at the same time, those pitches did seem very hittable and if we’re going to regress his HR rate we also have to regress his peripherals, because I doubt he’s going to post the highest K rate, lowest walk rate and highest ground ball rate of his career this year. If he can settle in around a 4 ERA and give us 200 innings, then I think this rotation will be very good.

14. yanks61 says:

I’m up to an 8 (from 7)

I’ve especially liked what I saw in this series – sss be damned. This team looks like it’s really come together. The pitching is superb – both starters and BP. The infield has not been as terrible as feared so far and the OF is actually in the middle of the pack – and could be getting better.

Obviously the injuries are a concern, but I think they’ve done a great job patching things up (or they’ve just been exceptionally lucky!)

I would leave JR at Scranton so he continues to get his ABs and bring up Romine and Sizemore. I believe putting Turley on the 60 day DL opens up a spot on the 40 Man roster and gives the NYY a chance to evaluate what they’ve got in Sizemore (a very versatile player who hopefully could hit .260 -.270 or so and not be a S.O. machine!) I would have to guess that the long time away from BB will have rusted his hitting instincts, but if those balls put in play were mostly hard hit, then I think we can hope that the S.O. will go down (don’t know what his career stats are in that regard.)

15. RetroRob says:

I moved up to a 7. I’ve always read this poll to be a mix of near- and long-term sentiment. Have to be encouraged by Tanaka and Pineda, and the bullpen seems to be in shape despite the loss of D-Rob. Starting to see some encouraging signs from the minors. Downside is the position lineup is still old and the minor league prospects are still below AAA.

It would be impossible for me to ever give a 10, so a 7 is good from me. An 8 means they have as good a chance as any to win the World Series. I hope to get there again by yearend.

16. LarryM Fl says:

6 down from 7, you can see the handwriting on the wall. We can not expect Roberts or Jeter to make it through the season without a DL assignment. There is plenty of cold weather remaining as the team travels from city to city. Players looking at the end of their careers have bodies that are fragile. The damp cold weather is taking its toll on the team as we watched last night. Every guy who busts it down the first base line is a hamstring waiting to happen.

Its simple if we have no injuries. This team can make the playoffs. If this team has injuries then we can not make the playoffs especially infield issues. We can not win the Anna and Solarte playing every night. Do not get me wrong these two can play but must not be exposed this soon in the season. Give them time to get their feet wet.

The Yankee front office has to be looking in the direction of a trade or signing Drew to sure up the infield.

• Wheels says:

6 down from a 7 as well. Looking long term however, the nucleus of Tanaka, Pineda, Ellsbury, and McCann looks promising.

17. hey now says:

Had to bring it down a notch to 6, thanks to Hal’s white-knuckle death grip on the family wallet since the Tanaka signing.

18. dalelama says:

Upgraded to a solid four based on relative AL East weakness.

19. Reuben Sierra's Chains says: