Some good injury news: OF Estevan Florial had his cast removed Wednesday and is 7-10 days away from resuming baseball activities, Aaron Boone told Brendan Kuty. Florial broke his right wrist crashing into the wall in Spring Training. If all goes well (I know, I know), it sounds like he could return to game action in mid-to-late May. Fingers crossed.
The Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders were rained out. The game will be made up as part of a doubleheader on June 3rd. LHP Gio Gonzalez, who will reportedly use his opt-out clause tomorrow, was scheduled to start tonight. Guess he won’t get to make one last Triple-A after all.
Double-A Trenton Thunder (13-10 win over Portland)
- 2B Hoy Jun Park: 1-6, 1 R, 1 3B, 1 RBI, 1 K
- SS Kyle Holder: 1-4, 1 R, 2 BB, 1 K
- LF Ben Ruta: 4-6, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI — now hitting .420/.500/.600 through 13 games … he played 36 games here last season, which ain’t a ton, so I think it’ll be a few weeks before the Yankees move him up to Scranton … he turns 25 in June and was a 30th round pick, but at some point the bat forces a promotion and forces the team to see what he can do at the highest level
- 1B Brandon Wagner: 2-5, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 3B, 2 RBI, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 E (fielding)
- CF Rashad Crawford: 1-4, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 2 K
- C Jorge Saez: 3-3, 2 R, 1 HR, 5 RBI, 2 BB, 1 E (catcher interference) — had been 3-for-16 (.188) on the season prior to this game
- RHP Garrett Whitlock: 6 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, 2 WP, 9/2 GB/FB — 57 of 87 pitches were strikes (66%) … 16/3 K/BB in 18 innings