Fan Confidence Poll: November 30th, 2009By
2009 Season Record: 103-59 (915 RS, 753 RA), won AL East by 8 games, finished with the best record in MLB by 6 games, won 27th World Series
Top stories from last week:
- It was a predictably slow week because of Thanksgiving, but the Yanks did manage to sign two players to minor league deals. First they landed speedy 20-year-old Dominican outfielder Eladio Moronta for $570,000, then added outfielder Jon Weber for depth later in the week.
- Halladay Zone: Toronto is seeking a young, big league ready bat and arm in return for their ace, and the cost for the Yanks would include either Phil Hughes or Joba Chamberlain. The Red Sox, meanwhile, will aggressively pursue the former Cy Young Award winner.
- The Yankees are going to watch their spending this offseason, and there’s a chance they won’t offer any of their free agents arbitration. They’re still waiting for Andy Pettitte to decide if he wants to return in 2010, though they plan on having both Hughes and Joba in the rotation next year. They’ve have expressed interest in bringing back Nick Johnson as a fallback option at DH. As expected, Johnny Damon doesn’t plan on taking a paycut.
- Former Padres’ GM Kevin Towers will meet with the Yanks (and others) during the winter meetings to discuss an advisory position.
- Mark Teixeira and Derek Jeter finished second and third, respectively, behind Joe Mauer in the AL MVP voting. Jeter, meanwhile, will reportedly be named SI’s Sportsman of the Year later today.
- Last, but certainly not least, the great Bob Sheppard has decided to call it a career, officially announcing his retirement. The Voice of God will live on whenever Jeter comes to plate, but he’ll still be missed.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.