Nov

Fan Confidence Poll: November 30th, 2009

2009 Season Record: 103-59 (915 RS, 753 RA), won AL East by 8 games, finished with the best record in MLB by 6 games, won 27th World Series

Top stories from last week:

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.

View Results
Categories : Polls

1. Riddering says:

Jeter’s been confirmed as sportsman of the year.

2. Rose says:

Same as last week. Team’s exactly the same.

• Rose says:

Former Padres’ GM Kevin Towers will meet with the Yanks (and others) during the winter meetings to discuss an advisory position.

Confidence certainly goes up regarding several moves including this one though…(not that confidence is down by any means…just sort of in limbo until certain signings are made)

3. Rocky Road Redemption (formerly RAB poster) says:

Voted a 10.

A long time ago I said I wouldn’t vote higher than 8, but winning the WS was radical enough to bump up my vote. I am aslo extremely confident in Cashman making the right move now that the offseason’s hit.

4. Reggie C. says:

Voted a 9.

Last week’s story of Johnny D.’s refusal to take a pay cut in return for a 2 year commitment hopefully expands. The hot stove isn’t exactly burning. Hopefully a couple FA relievers start fielding offers this week to start warming things up. If the Yanks are deciding to bid for a reliever, the org probably wont do so till after wrapping up Pettitte, at the least.

• I’d really prefer they didn’t go after any FA relievers, unless it’s a recovery project (Chad Cordero?) on a non-guaranteed deal. The internal bullpen project of the last two seasons has definitely worked and I think the organization should continue the practice thereof.

• andrew says:

Not sure if he was advocating the Yankees go after relievers or if he was just saying that hopefully some relievers will get the hot stove season going by beginning to negotiate.

• I know; just throwing my two cents in.

• Reggie C. says:

I guess my post wasn’t too clear on what road I hope the organization would take in re-arming the ‘pen.

We do have to re-arm the ‘pen. Hughes’s contribution to the ‘pen will be difficult to replace. Can we bank on bruney showing up with his game face? Can we bank on Melancon not stinking it up; can we blame Joe G. for Mel’s lack of work?

I think a Mike G. could easily solve the problem, and form a killer pairing with Marte.

• Mike Pop says:

I hear you, but I’m not too fond on bringing in an expensive reliever for many reasons:

1) giving up a draft pick
            2) relievers are so volatile
            3) replacing Hughes’ production will not be done no matter who could be brought in. As Greg Fertel said over at his site, Hughes was probably the best reliever in the game last year
            4) I like Cashman’s current way to build a bullpen(throw against the wall and see what sticks)

and of course, I think Robertson and Marte can handle the late innings to get the ball to the great one.

• Mike Pop says:

Plus, there is a possible addition in the farm right now. A Z-Mac, Ivan Nova, or one of the Sanchez brothers could possibly help in the pen next year.

Melancon is legit, hopefully he shows us something next year.

• I think Melancon will have to do what Robertson did in ’08 and the beginning of ’09: pitch in low-leverage/mop-up/get-some-work-in situations until he proves he can be trusted. The same will go for Bruney.

• I think Mike G. becomes a good option if and only if:

a) he’s not offered arbitration
            b) he can’t get a closing job elsewhere.

If he gets offered arbitration, leave him be. I don’t think Bruney will play a prominent role this season unless he proves he can handle any job of relative importance. Maybe I’m being too bullish on Robertson, but I think he and Marte could form a very good set-up combination. Depending on how the team feels about Gaudin, Aceves, and Kennedy, one of them (most likely one of the former two) could be turned into a one inning set-up type reliever. I think the Yankees have plenty of internal options and should look there first.

5. 9, I guess. There’s so little going on that it’s hard to gauge anything. Getting Towers would be fantastic, that’s for sure, and it’ll be easier to get a gauge on the future team when the Hot Stove heats up a bit.

6. Doug says:

consider me a 7.

as soon as we officially skip on lackey and holliday (and bay), i’ll shoot up to a 9.

7. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

10. I’m not sure how any Yankee fan can’t be the same. Especially now that we are in the Yankee High Holy Days. Ask me again where I’m at after the conclusion of Melmas. (That’s somewhere between the 7th through the 12th of Jan. Depends on the position of the moon.)

8. JobaWockeeZ says:

The holiday where we celebrate the birth of Melvin. That’s just a guess.

9. Bob Stone says:

I voted 9 again after voting 10 the weeks before, during and after the World Series Victory.

The Yankees have some key positions up in the air and I am confident that Cashman will make the right moves.

I hope the right moves include signing Pettitte, Damon and Matsui with reasonable deals. An extra starter would be a plus as long it is a favorable deal with someone like Sheets.

I don’t see any need to go after Lackey, Halladay, Bay or Holliday.

10. Kiersten says:

8 because of the DH sitch and the fact that we really only have 2 for sure starters right now.

11. mryankee says:

Hey Halladay stated that he would approve a deal to the Yankees. Anyone else feel like this might happen?

12. dkidd says:

i voted 8, only because a lot of stuff went right in 09 (healthy aj/jorge/andy/matsui, big years from jeter/damon/swisher). i don’t think cashman needs to do anything go after chapman, resign 1 of damon/matsui, kick the tires on mike cameron.

melancon, aceves, robertson, kennedy, marte, mo could be a great bullpen. i don’t see the need for anyone except maybe buying low on cordero

don’t want to give up hughes or joba for halladay. i’ve grown (irrationally) fond of those two, and i like big cc as our ace