Record Last Week: 2-4 (44 RS, 38 RA)
Season Record: 79-52 (683 RS, 492 RA, 86-45 pythag. record), 2.0 games back in AL East, 6.5 up for wildcard
Opponents This Week: @ Orioles (one game, Mon.), @ Red Sox (three games, Tues. to Thurs.), vs. Blue Jays (three games, Fri. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- Monday’s off day was followed by three games against the Athletics. The comeback fell short in the series opening loss, then the Yankees lost the next game in extra innings. They salvaged the series by making Major League history on Thursday, becoming the first team ever to club three grand slams in a single game.
- Hurricane Irene got in the way of what was supposed to be a five-game, wrap-around weekend series with the Orioles. The O’s did not want to play a doubleheader on Friday to preemptively make up an inevitable rain out, so the two teams instead played a pair on Sunday and will make up another game in September. The Yankees challenged the September game since it’s there only day off that month, but that didn’t work. Meanwhile, on the field, A.J. Burnett imploded in Friday’s loss and the offense disappeared in the first game of Saturday’s doubleheader before rebounding to win the night cap.
- Injury News: Derek Jeter is out with a right knee contusion. Alex Rodriguez missed some time with a nagging thumb sprain. Mark Prior has shoulder discomfort.
- The Yankees placed a trade waiver claim on Carlos Pena, but where unable to work out a deal. Brian Cashman shot down speculation that he could be a fit for the Cubs now vacant GM position.
- Jeff Marquez was outrighted to Triple-A while Aaron Laffey was designated for assignment.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.