Record Last Week: 3-3 (24 RS, 25 RA)
Season Record: 72-64 (542 RS, 547 RA, 67-69 pythag. record), 9.0 GB ALE/3.5 GB WC
Opponents This Week: vs. White Sox (three games, Mon. to Weds.), vs. Red Sox (four games, Thurs. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The week opened with three games in Toronto, and the Blue Jays took the series opener after pounding Phil Hughes. Alfonso Soriano‘s two-homer game gave the Yankees a win the next day, but Hiroki Kuroda got knocked around in Wednesday’s loss.
- The Orioles came to town for a three-game weekend set following Thursday’s off-day. The offense picked up CC Sabathia in the opening win before Ivan Nova threw his first career shutout on Sunday. The bullpen blew up and the Yankees were unable to complete the sweep yesterday.
- Injury News: Derek Jeter (calf) was activated off the DL at the beginning of the week. Robinson Cano (hand) and Eduardo Nunez (knee) were day-to-day with minor injuries and have since returned to the lineup. David Phelps (forearm) has yet to pick up a ball while Michael Pineda (shoulder) is throwing but not close to returning. Both Travis Hafner (shoulder) and Zoilo Almonte (ankle) have started hitting off a tee.
- The first wave of September call-ups included David Adams, Dellin Betances, Cesar Cabral, Brett Marshall, and J.R. Murphy. Preston Claiborne was sent down for Jeter and will rejoin the team today. Jayson Nix was transferred to the 60-day DL and Melky Mesa, who has a significant hamstring injury, was released to clear 40-man roster spots. Dan Johnson was granted his release from Triple-A Scranton.
- Mason Williams, Tyler Austin, and Peter O’Brien will heading the Yankees crop of prospects in the Arizona Fall League.
- It is a “foregone conclusion” the Joe Girardi will sign a new contract with the team after the season.
- The preliminary stages of Alex Rodriguez‘s appeal will begin this week.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.