Record Last Week: 5-2 (28 RS, 24 RA)
Season Record: 69-61 (518 RS, 522 RA, 65-65 pythag. record), 7.0 GB ALE/3.5 GB WC
Opponents This Week: @ Blue Jays (three games, Mon. to Weds.), Thurs. OFF, vs. Orioles (three games, Fri. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The week started with an off-day before the Blue Jays came to town for four games. A pair of three-run homers helped the Yankees to a win in the first game of Tuesday’s doubleheader before Jayson Nix’s walk-off hit gave them a win in the nightcap. A late homer on Wednesday and an odd line drive/single/double play call on Thursday helped the team to a sweep.
- The Yankees headed to Tampa for three games with the Rays next, and Hiroki Kuroda was roughed up in the series opening loss. CC Sabathia couldn’t protect a lead in the middle game before the Bombers rallied to win the series finale in extra innings.
- Injury Updates: Derek Jeter (quad) played in three rehab games and will rejoin the team today. Nix (hand) suffered a fracture on a hit-by-pitch and is done for the year. Brett Gardner (hand) and Eduardo Nunez (hamstring) were both day-to-day and have since returned to the lineup. Manny Banuelos (elbow) has started throwing batting practice and OF Tyler Austin (wrist) is close to playing in rehab games.
- The Yankees are not discussing Justin Morneau with the Twins. The team’s top evaluators have been scouting Japanese righty Masahiro Tanaka. New York signed 19-year-old righty Edwin Fierro out of Mexico.
- Hal Steinbrenner held a staff meeting to discuss the team’s lack of minor league talent. Brian Cashman‘s job is said to be “secure.”
- Preston Claiborne was called up to replace Nix on the roster and will be sent down to make room for Jeter today.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.