Nov

Fan Confidence Poll: November 11th, 2013

2013 Season: 85-77 (637 RS, 671 RA, 77-85 pythag. record), didn’t qualify for playoffs

Top stories from last week:

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.

Categories : Polls

1. sjferrari says:

Don’t know why, but “Mason Williams (face)” under injuries is one of the funniest things I’ve seen this month.

2. Mantle28 says:

Lets say Curtis Granderson accepts the QO, this is a good thing right? I don’t understand why its being made out to be a bad thing, he’d have significant trade value on a cost effective one year deal.

• MannyGeee says:

OR… having a power hitting outfielder at a relative discount could be viewed as a good thing. I mean, either way really.

• Havok9120 says:

A lot of people are driven insane by his strikeouts and value him accordingly. The “low average” is another oft-cited reason to low-ball him.

3. will says:

If you voted 6 or above. Do you also sell it wholesale? (What you’re smoking)

• I'm One says:

There’s a lot of negativity on this site and I understand to an extent. There’s a hell of a lot of uncertainty this off-season. Personally, I expect a reasonably good season from Jeter at SS (something along the lines of .295/.350/.400 with so-so defense and a fair amount of time at DH), a good season from Ted, a bounce-back from CC (maybe not an ace like in the past, but solid), either Granderson returning or Beltran being signed, Tanaka &/or Kuroda and a season somewhat similar to 2013 … a chance to make the playoffs, but certainly not a lock to do so. Basically, somehow I expect the team to be competitive. That’s enough for me to vote a 7, along with the fact that the team only needs to stay below $189M for one season to reset the tax clock. So, even inf 2014 is a relatively poor season, I think the Yankees will spend again beginning in 2015, at least enough so that the team competes for a playoff spot nearly every season. As a fan, that’s the most I expect – don’t throw in the towel in April (or even July).

4. Robinson Tilapia says:

7 and, yes, I sell the above Will/John/Mike/Steve/Pierre/Olaf’s mom wholesale.

The road is there. They just need to act, and not wait, in order for it to happen.

• mitch says:

Waiting is my biggest worry. The Arod situation gives them a ready-made excuse to sit back and avoid spending while the big name guys get signed.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

That, and waiting for Tanaka to get posted, are the two concerns for me.

Not that I read much into “The Yankees are connected to everyone from Brian McCann to DeWayne Wise” but, at the very least, there being some level of buzz has to lead you to believe they plan to be players AND that they realize those players will have contracts by the time godknowswhat happens with Alex.

Tanaka HAS to come with another starter anyway. CC/Tanaka/Nova/prayforrain has a potentially disastrous upside. You have to add Kuroda to that mix. I’m slightly walking away from my “sign Garza” stance because I think the team does have to create a lane somewhere for Pineda/Banuelos to work their way in, and signing Garza AND Tanaka gives you three starters on long-term deals PLUS Nova, who you hope isn’t going anywhere. This is why I might rather have a Feldman type as insurance/back-end help until one of the two establishes themselves.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

“disastrous downside,” not “upside.”

• mitch says:

I agree about the pitching. I’d only go after Garza if Tanaka doesn’t work out. Even then, i’d proceed with caution. Feldman would be a perfect fit, but rolling the dice with an injured vet like Halladay or Santana is more Yankee-like

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Agreed on Garza. I think you have to replace Pettitte’s innings, and I don’t think you do that with Nova. I think they have to try to keep Nova in the mid/back-end for now until they’re sure, if ever, that he’s a consistent solid starter.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Both of those guys become more than “take a flyer” material on name value alone. Would I love to take a shot? Sure. I can’t see how either guy comes to ST on an MiLB deal and accepts a bullpen spot if that’s what it looks like. You almost HAVE to give them a rotation spot, and I agree with you that it’d be a bad idea to do that with either.

• MannyGeee says:

Yup, in true Yankee fashion, both Halladay and Johan will get job offers from us. No doubt about it.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

But it means we’ll get Johan without having to give up Hughes, Melky, or IPK for him. Isn’t that a win?

I’ll throw it down right now: Neither wears pinstripes next year. BOOM.

5. Chris says:

there going to spend money no matter what…they have to get a good team on the field or nobody will go see them and there ratings on yes will drop so either way there spending money this year…Lets just hope its wisely.

6. MannyGeee says:

Baseline 7. We put a TON of stock into 2013, not considering they at one point had a payroll on the DL HIGHER than most payrolls in the league.

Pitching is still a massive concern for me, although I could be talked into the quantity over quality bandbox if Sabathia stops being a bitch and puts the weight back on… #only1/2kidding.

And, despite all the paint chips eaten by everyone on the “WE SHOULD OFFER TEH CANOZ $5M/YR OR ELSE WALK AWAY!” crowd, he is the second baseman we need right now, not the one we deserve… /Greedy, Lazy Dominican’d.

7. Folley of the Pre-Determined Outcome says:

2013 Season: 85-77 (637 RS, 671 RA, 77-85 pythag. record)…
    Is it safe to say that Girardi was responsible for an additional 5-8 victories as a result of his managing ability? … I sure do! I am VERY glad he’s coming back!

8. Dr. Grenaldine says:

A lot of pessimism stems from expecting aging crippled veterans to remain healthy during their twilight years while hearing stories of the Yankees being interested in other aging crippled veterans, some even perennial (Eric Chavez).

Some optimism is that the Yankees some how won 84 games with 3/4ths of their team being 3rd string players for most of the year. That’s still not something to cheer about though.

There are just way too many uncertainties this time. There always is…but this time it’s extremely worse with so many holes needing to fill with a poor market and aging crippled players taking up a lot of the remaining spots.

9. Vern Sneaker says:

Still at 4 but always hopeful we’ll make good moves and come out as a playiff contender. Right now are too many holes and few you-can-count-on-it positives. SP, closer, 3B areuncertain and we can’t assume anything about Jeter or Tex. This isn’t pessimism, I’m just acknowledging reality and waiting for developments.

• Mike HC says:

I agree, and as the poll shows, I think this is the majority opinion.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I honestly think there are folks voting different numbers for the same reasons. Your “4″ and my “7″ really may be only separated by some additional hope on my part which I’m incorporating and you may not be.

10. LarryM Fl says:

I believe the Yankees have a plan. If the Arod situation was settled then it could unfold with some consistency. Unfortunately, we have to sit and wait. The Yankees can move on other pieces just save the funds for Cano out of the 90 million. If he is signed by another club probably later then early. The Yankees will have to scramble for a second baseman to go after an Infante or a trade.

I have no problem with the 189 to reset the luxury tax penalty as long as they go heavy in 2015.

I voted 5 but it will head north as the Yankees move forward to secure players with the 90 million or so to spend without Arod money.

11. Farewell Mo says:

Agree with above signing Tanaka and having Arod suspended for the year are the 2 must haves. if Tanaka goes to another team and Arod only gets 50 games, kiss next season goodbye.

I’m also torn giving big long term money and losing the # 1 pick for a catcher with a lot of wear on the tires especially since its not like he’s the final missing piece. Same goes with Beltran.

12. Betty Lizard says:

Nothing bad has happened yet.

(Yes, I sell optimism and do a BRISK trade in despair.)

13. Kentucky Ed says:

I have a buddy in KC, big Royals fan. The word is that the Royals are into getting Hughes big time. Guess they think 4 extra wins gets them to the post-season. I told him Joba would be better bet…returning to his part of the country, maybe getting some weight-watching religion to show the home folks. Anyway, I said Hughes is yours and welcome to him.