2013 Season: 85-77 (637 RS, 671 RA, 77-85 pythag. record), didn’t qualify for playoffs
Top stories from last week:
- The Yankees extended qualifying offers to Robinson Cano, Hiroki Kuroda, and Curtis Granderson before Monday’s deadline. Granderson hinted at declining the offer and there is some belief Kuroda will return to Japan. There has been “no recent movement” in contract talks between the Yankees and Cano and no other team has made him an offer. It appears New York’s limit is an eight-year pact worth $180-200M.
- Among the players the Yankees reportedly had interest in this week include Eric Chavez, Bronson Arroyo, Scott Feldman, Dan Haren, Ubaldo Jimenez, Grant Balfour, Brian McCann, Brandon Phillips, and Omar Infante. They have not discussed re-signing Joba Chamberlain. MLB and NPB are still “several weeks” from a revised posting system agreement, meaning Masahiro Tanaka is stuck in limbo.
- Injury Updates: CC Sabathia (hamstring) has started a throwing program and is working out a full strength. Derek Jeter (ankle) is lifting weights for the first time in a year. Mason Williams (face) if fine after being hit by an errant thrown.
- The Yankees have re-signed their entire coaching staff to new contracts for next season — everyone will return in the same role. The team hired former Marlins third base coach Joe Espada as a special assistant to the GM.
- Mariano Rivera was named the AL Comeback Player of the Year and Cano won his fourth straight Silver Slugger. No Yankees were among the finalists for the various major awards.
- George Steinbrenner, Joe Torre, and Billy Martin are among the 12-person Expansion Era Veterans Committee Hall of Fame ballot.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.