2013 Season: 85-77 (637 RS, 671 RA, 77-85 pythag. record), didn’t qualify for playoffs
Top stories from last week:
- According to a report from Japan, the Yankees were one of five teams to submit a formal offer to Masahiro Tanaka before his self-imposed deadline last Thursday. All of the offers were worth more than $100M across six years. The Yankees are not going to make any moves until the Tanaka situation is resolved.
- Alex Rodriguez’s lawyer officially filed suit seeking an injuction in federal court on Monday, which released the details of arbitrator Fredric Horowitz’s ruling. A-Rod said the suspension “could be a big favor” from MLB while Hal Steinbrenner said he has “not thought about 2015.”
- The Yankees avoided arbitration with their five eligible players by agreeing to one-year contracts with Brett Gardner ($5.6M), David Robertson ($5.215M), Ivan Nova ($3.3M), Shawn Kelley ($1.7625M), and Frankie Cervelli ($700k). Vernon Wells was officially released.
- Injury Updates: Derek Jeter (leg) is expected to begin baseball activities today. Slade Heathcott (knee) had minor surgery earlier this offseason and may not be ready for the start of Spring Training. Both Ty Hensley (hips) and Manny Banuelos (elbow) are on normal throwing programs and will be ready for the start of camp.
- A potential third base option came off the board when Mark Reynolds took a minor league deal from the Brewers. The Yankees continue to look for a late-inning reliever and they’ve requested Ervin Santana’s medical records in case they’re unable to sign Tanaka.
- Expanding instant replay has been officially implemented for the 2014 season.
- CC Sabathia left Legacy Sports to join Jay-Z’s Roc Nation Sports.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.