Record Last Week: 5-1 (28 RS, 16 RA)
Season Record: 26-21 (217 RS, 198 RA, 26-21 pythag. record), 2.5 games back in AL East
Opponents This Week: @ Angels (three games, Mon. to Weds.), Thurs. OFF, @ Tigers (three games, Thurs. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The Royals came to town to the start the week, and they handed the Yankees their third straight loss in the series opener. Joe Girardi and Brian Cashman held a team meeting after the loss. Derek Jeter and Phil Hughes helped the Yankees to a much needed win on Tuesday, then Alex Rodriguez homered twice in the series-ending win.
- Following Thursday’s day off, the Yankees opened a West Coast swing with a win over the Athletics. Mark Teixeira homered twice in Saturday’s win and Hiroki Kuroda dominated to complete the sweep yesterday.
- Injury News: A surgery date is still not set for Mariano Rivera’s torn ACL. David Robertson (oblique) will start a throwing program this week. Brett Gardner (elbow) will try to hit today. Austin Romine (back) is out until July. Eduardo Nunez (thumb) is on the minor league DL. Ivan Nova is fine after a minor hamstring issue. Top prospects Manny Banuelos and Jose Campos do not have any structural damage in their elbows but will miss time.
- Reports surfaced that the Steinbrenners were exploring the idea of selling the Yankees but the organization has vehemently denied everything. Of course, the team is not for sale until it actually is.
- The Yankees signed John Maine to a minor league contract. Tim Norton has officially retired as a player and now works as a coach in the minor league system.
- Mason Williams ranked 24th on Keith Law’s midseason top 25 prospects list.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.