2011 Record: 97-65 (855 RS, 657 RA, 102-60 pythag. record), won AL East, lost to Tigers in ALDS
Top stories from last week:
- The week started off with some pretty big news: the Yankees and CC Sabathia agreed to a contract extension before the lefty opted out of his deal. It’s effectively a five-year contract worth $122M with a vesting option for a sixth year that depends on the health of his shoulder.
- The Yankees officially announced Brian Cashman‘s new three-year deal, and during his press conference he said the team’s offseason focus will again be on pitching. “We’re in a position now to take our time and explore and digest as well as pursue, but at our own pace, not in an emotional or reactive state,” said Cashman.
- The Yankees have already spoken to the agent for C.J. Wilson and Roy Oswalt, though the team is concerned about the health of Oswalt’s back. Freddy Garcia and the Yanks have mutual interest in a reunion for 2012, though the righty is a Type-B free agent.
- Damon Oppenheimer was a candidate for the Orioles’ GM job, but they’re close to hiring Dan Duquette instead. Ivan Nova has hired a new agent, Greg Genske.
- Curtis Granderson was voted the AL’s Outstanding Player of the Year by his peers. Granderson also won a Silver Slugger Award, as did Robinson Cano. No Yankees won a Gold Glove.
- Lefties Jose Quintana and Josh Romanski were among the Yankees’ farmhands that became free agents at the end of the season. In a surprising move, the Yankees released 2007 first rounder Andrew Brackman.
- The Yankees radio rights could be up for grabs after this coming season.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.