Sep

Fan Confidence Poll: September 30th, 2013

Record Last Week: 3-3 (13 RS, 23 RA)
Season Record: 85-77 (637 RS, 671 RA, 77-85 pythag. record), didn’t qualify for playoffs

Top stories from last week:

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.

Categories : Polls

1. Nick says:

Somewhere between not at all and entirely

2. JLC 776 says:

What can I say… the team exceeded my expectations this year (I had them pegged at .500 at best and they were actually in the playoff hunt a week or so into September), but I’m very worried about the near-future.

I might lose a point over the offseason unless I see moves that show me the front office has a plan for the future other than ‘sign veterans and hope for the best’.

3. Eddard says:

Before I go on just let me tell you that I will have an earth shattering announcement later on in this post. As for the confidence rating, I am truly at a 3.

I just have no faith in this ownership, this GM, this manager or this fanbase to have the patience required in order to build a championship club from within. The question is how did they get themselves into this mess? Answer – By signing 30+ year old players to 8+ year contracts. How will they dig themselves out of the mess? By signing Robinson Cano, a 32 year old player to an 8+ year contract. That’s what the fans will be clinging to this offseason. Oh, we have to sign Robbie Cano at all costs if we want to stay good they’ll say. And that’s the problem, not the solution.

Two years ago the St Louis Cardinals let their 30+ year old best player go when he wanted an 8+ year contract. They just let him walk. They’re still a championship caliber club every year. Why is that? They have a smaller budget and don’t give me the excuse that they picked high in the draft every year because they’ve been good for a while now. They’re run better.

I now regret to inform you that this will be my last ever post on RAB. I said I’d do this until someone figured out what I was doing and vicki nailed it about a week ago. If there’s another post from Eddard on here I’m telling you it’s an impostor and not me because I said I’m gone and I’m a man of my word. I am proud to leave now because I’m going out with two of the game’s greatest, Andy and Mo. Forever our names will be entwined in the history of Yankee lore. We’ll just be three more ghosts roaming the hallowed grounds of Yankee Stadium. I will also be sad to leave but it’s like Brett Favre said when he retired the first time, all good things must come to an end. Mariano, Andy, Walter White, and now myself but all good things must come to an end.

4. Mike HC says:

4. Lowest I’ve ever been. Hopefully Cashman can pull a rabbit out of his hat this off season.

5. TheEvilUmpire says:

I’m 100% confident that they won’t lose another game this season.

6. Robinson Tilapia says:

You mean I can get rid of my 2013 outlook now in this vote?

Somehow, I’m still at a 7? Slightly above even money for next year, which we’ll call a “6,” and an “8″ for beyond.

The off-season can go a million different ways here. I’m hopeful. I’m thinking, at worst, the team gets a second shot at last off-season. At best, they put their luxury tax concerns away and actually focus on improving the team first. They don’t even need to break the bank to do it.

No matter, I agree with Mike that it’s going to be an action-packed off-season, with several surprises, to come. You may need whatever clean panties you had left from the season.

7. Jersey Joe says:

4. We have no sense of direction, but we still have some players that can contribute. We need the farm system to produce again, we need rebound years from Tex/CC/Jeter, and we need to get younger

Robinson Cano and his contract will be the definition of this offseason.

8. Jersey Joe says:

Robinson Cano and his contract will be the definition of this offseason. I think either way it will be a disaster. :(

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

We need to get younger better.

If that means shedding some younger players for some older, more talented players, please sign me up. Although that does mean I hope 189 dies a bloody, fiery death.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, that’s something that often gets lost about the ideas to re-shape the line up. Younger does not mean better. Younger can be better. Younger can also be worse.

Let’s just get better. If they can get better AND younger, then by all means. But that’s such an obvious strategy and I feel like it’s a waste of pixels to even type out.

• RetroRob says:

Yes, exactly. The Yankees would be fine with a 44-year-old Rivera and a 42-year-old Pettitte on their team next year. Yet those two old dudes have headed off into the sunset and will need to be replaced with younger, most likely weaker players.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Horse dung, everybody knows that our young, seek, sexy line up yesterday that had Almonte, Nunez, and Murphy hitting back to back is much better than that line up of pensioners from 2009! Because they were younger!

9. HateMclouth (formerly I'mVernon) says:

With 2013 out of consideration I’m at an even 5. Probably would be higher if the farm wasn’t so disappointing this season. As for next year, I suppose this team could make a run for a wildcard at most. Of course that’s contingent on this offseason goes.

10. RetroRob says:

I am extremely confident that this team will not lose another game in 2013.

11. Hal Stein says:

Hello loyal moneypayers… Oh wait, I mean fans

I have decided to wash out the sand from my vagina and open up my wallet… Here are the moves we will make this offseason:

Cano 7 years – $175 M
    Kuroda 1 year – $15 M
    McCann 5 years – $90 M
    Choo 5 years – $90 M
    Jose Abreu – 5 years – $60 M
    Tanaka 4 years – $ 40 M ($30 M Posting fee)
    Mujica 2 years – $15 M

After all, assuming Arod is suspended for around 100 games, we will still spend around $15 M less next year then we did this year and I still made a BOATLOAD of money this season.

I’m RICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• NYPLATOONS 85 Wins Ding Ding! says:

That’s to easy! Yankees will look for guys which other teams gave up on and just slap em out there on the field. I think they are better off to start looking into the stands / fans this year and give a few fans a shot. 13M for a guy who played what 12 games? Couldn’t you use that money? I’m sure you could play more then 12 games no? Heck I bet I can stay healthy all year at the fraction of the price.

12. Chris Z. says:

I voted 4. Its very hard to be above 5 (which to me represents more confident than less confident) when the entire team is unhappy about the farm to the point where they want to re-tool who puts it together. Add on the fact the team on the field is old, run down and has massive issues….the team isn’t in a good place.

13. NYPLATOONS 85 Wins Ding Ding! says:

2b
    ss
    3b
    c
    rf
    cf
    lf
    dh last seen in 2009

slots open in the pitching staff

I’d sayyyyy zero!

14. Patrick says:

I voted for 4…thinking that I would be in the minority.

Surprised that number has the highest percentile of votes.
    A lot of pessimism out there right now.

It is up to the Steinbrenner’s to turn this around:
    1. Gut the scouting department and go out and hire some aces from other org’s.
    2. Same with GM. Cashman is a loser.

Even if the Yankees hit it right in these two areas it will take some time to rebuild. But they have to get bold in these two areas. Status quo won’t cut it!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

What would you even define status quo as? I’m curious.

• Hal Stein says:

Status quo is dumpster diving for stop gaps… But don’t worry I washed out my privates real nice and I am going to spend big time… The ’08 offseason will look like peanuts compared to the tidal wave of dough I am about to throw at the FA class.

Opening day line up next year:

Gardy – CF
        Jeter – SS
        Cano – 2B
        Choo – RF
        Abreu – DH
        Tex – 1B
        McCann – C
        Soriano – LF
        Nunez/Reynolds/Chavez – 3B

C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S-H-I-P

15. Darren says:

I voted 5. Even if we wanted to go on a huge spending spree, it’s not like there’s aanother Mariano, Andy Pettitte, Derek Jeter, Bernie or Posada out there. Who the hell knows if McCann even WANTS to move to NYC. There are really no slam dunk Free Agents out there. Except for Cano, of course.

16. Bobby Two Knives says:

By the stats at the head of the column, NYY won 8 more games than they should have won. Not too shabby. Nevertheless, Cano cannot carry the team, no matter how much he’s paid or the legnth of contract. I say let him walk, and rebuild. I’m old (not THAT old!)and have lived through the Mantle years and now the Jeter years; it’s been great, but I’m not sitting on the edge of my seat hoping Cano can make it happen next year. So, do the right thing: use the money to be spent wisely, which means – younger players. I’m done. Oh, and who the hell is Eddard, and why should anyone care if he never posts again?

17. Coolerking101 says:

I’m a 4. Too many glaring warning signs to ignore. They cheaped out last off-season, they refused to be sellers at the deadline so that they wouldn’t lose 4 weeks worth of ratings and ticket sales, the self-imposed 189 budget and the lack of MLB ready prospects. IMO, the Steinbrenners are going wring every last dollar out of the Yankees in 2014 and then will sell their majority interest.