2013 Season: 85-77 (637 RS, 671 RA, 77-85 pythag. record), didn’t qualify for playoffs
Top stories from last week:
- The Yankees lost their best player to free agency when Robinson Cano agreed to a ten-year, $240M contract with the Mariners. New York’s final offer was seven years and $175M, so Seattle blew them out of the water. He couldn’t pass that up. Curtis Granderson signed a four-year, $60M deal with the Mets.
- Despite losing Cano and Granderson, the Yankees were very busy last week. They signed Jacoby Ellsbury (seven years, $153M), Carlos Beltran (three years, $45M), and Kelly Johnson (one year, $3M) as free agents while retaining Hiroki Kuroda (one year, $16M). As a result of all the moves, the team has forfeited their first and two supplemental first round (for Cano and Granderson) picks.
- In the wake of the two outfield additions, the Yankees are shopping Ichiro Suzuki and have received “significant interest” in Brett Gardner. Chris Stewart was traded to the Pirates for a player to be named later. Jayson Nix, Matt Daley, and David Adams were non-tendered.
- MLB and NPB are likely to agree to a new posting system soon. According to the latest proposal, bids will be capped at $20M and any team who bids the maximum will be allowed to negotiate with the player. It’s unclear if Masahiro Tanaka will still be posted.
- The Yankees have interest in Mike Pelfrey but not Dan Uggla. They signed Brian Gordon and Russ Canzler to a minor league deals and “strongly believe” they will be able to retain Matt Daley. A fifth starter competition will be held in camp.
- Matthew Krause was hired as the new strength and conditioning coach. Gary Tuck is likely to take over as bullpen coach. Former big league managers Trey Hillman and Mike Quade were added to the front office and developmental staff.
- The Yankees lost $58M in ticket revenue from 2012 to 2013.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.