CC Sabathia made his first spring start and looked exactly how you’d expect a 17-year veteran to look in his first spring start. Just going through the motions and getting his work in. He tossed two scoreless. Adam Warren allowed a set of back-to-back homers in his three innings. Chasen Shreve allowed a dinger too. Not the most interesting day on the mound. Here are the box score and video highlights, and here’s the rest of the day’s news:
- Andy Pettitte arrived in camp today for his stint as a guest instructor. He threw batting practice to Greg Bird, Pete Kozma, Rob Refsnyder, and Ruben Tejada. Here’s some video. Bird asked Andy to throw him some extra batting practice on a back field because he hasn’t faced enough southpaws this spring. It’s been five years (!) since Pettitte came to camp as a guest instructor and wound up coming out of retirement. [Erik Boland, Lou DiPietro, Bryan Hoch]
- Hoch has the pitching assignments and hitting/fielding groups for everyone who didn’t play in today’s game, if you’re interested. James Kaprielian and Justus Sheffield both threw bullpen sessions. I guess that means we won’t see Sheffield in a game for a few days. Blah.
- The Netherlands beat South Korea in their first World Baseball Classic game earlier today (box score). Didi Gregorius went 1-for-4. He started at DH and batted sixth. Meanwhile, Masahiro Tanaka and Aroldis Chapman were watching Japan vs. Cuba in the clubhouse this morning. Here’s the full WBC schedule. [Jack Curry]
- Dellin Betances pitched for the Dominican Republic in their exhibition game against the Orioles today. He walked two and allowed a hit in two-thirds of an inning before reaching his pitch limit. Another reliever came in and allowed two of the inherited runners to score. Womp womp.
- Speaking of the WBC, the Yankees will play an exhibition game against Canada at George M. Steinbrenner Field tomorrow. Here is Canada’s roster, which includes no Yankees. (Kellin Deglan had to withdraw due to injury.) Luis Severino is lined up to start that game. There will be no television broadcast. Lame.
Here is the open thread for the evening. If you missed it earlier, this afternoon’s game will be replayed on YES at 7pm ET. MLB Network is showing a different Spring Training game on tape delay at 7pm ET, then will have WBC games live at 10pm ET (Cuba vs. China) and 5am ET (Japan vs. Australia). All three local hockey teams are playing tonight as well. Talk about all that stuff and more right here, just not religion or politics. Thanks in advance.