Season Record: 95-67 (859 RS, 693 RA, 98-64 Pythag. record), finished one game back in AL East, won Wild Card, lost in ALCS
Top stories from last week:
- The Rafael Soriano and Scott Boras propaganda machine was in full force. First we heard that the Yanks were “in contact” with the reliever, then we heard that they had no interest. It ended with Brian Cashman explicitly saying that he will not surrender his first round pick to sign a free agent.
- Rumor had it that we would hear something about Andy Pettitte‘s future last week, but it didn’t happen. The Yanks are said to be willing to give him a raise to $13M or so.
- The Yanks have “started talks” with Andruw Jones for the right-handed hitting outfielder role, and they also have interest in Jeremy Bonderman. Astros infielder Jeff Keppinger had surgery on his foot and will miss the start of the season, effectively ending any chance that the Yankees would trade for him.
- Kevin Long plans to work with Derek Jeter before Spring Training begins, and Larry Rothschild will do the same with A.J. Burnett.
- The Yankees claimed righty reliever Brian Schlitter off waivers from the Cubs. The Pedro Feliciano contract became official.
- Nick Swisher will receive the 2011 Thurman Munson Award.
- A statue of George Steinbrenner was erected in front of the stadium that bears his name in Tampa.
- Yankee Stadium is being converted back to baseball after hosting a pair of college football games.
- Last, but certainly not least, our three new weekend writers made their debuts: Hannah, Brock, and Stephen.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.
- 10 (very confident)
- 1 (no confidence)