Record Last Week: 5-2 (51 RS, 34 RA)
Season Record: 64-59 (491 RS, 498 RA, 61-62 pythag. record), 7.5 GB ALE/6.0 GB WC
Opponents This Week: Mon. OFF, vs. Blue Jays (four games, Tues. to Thurs.), vs. Rays (three games, Fri. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The week started with four games against the Angels, and Hiroki Kuroda carried the Yankees to a win in the opener. The offense picked up CC Sabathia in the second game and another blowout followed in the third game on Wednesday. They were unable to complete the sweep in the finale.
- A trip to Boston for a three-game set with the Red Sox was next. The Yankees crushed their rivals in Friday’s win but Boston returned the favor on Saturday. The Bombers took the series finale after Ryan Dempster threw at Alex Rodriguez.
- Injury News: Derek Jeter (calf) has started taking batting practice but has yet to run. Eduardo Nunez (hamstring) left yesterday’s game. Travis Hafner (shoulder) is rehabbing but not close to returning. Both Vidal Nuno (groin) and Ty Hensley (hip) have started throwing programs. Slade Heathcott (knee) and Mark Montgomery (shoulder) were both placed on the minor league DL.
- The Yankees signed Mark Reynolds to platoon with Lyle Overbay and called up lefty David Huff. In corresponding moves, Preston Claiborne and Dellin Betances were sent down, David Phelps was transferred to the 60-day DL, and Luis Cruz was designated for assignment. Lefty Mike Zagurski opted out of his minor league contract.
- Impending free agent Phil Hughes indicated a willingness to pitch out of the bullpen next season. Kuroda is still undecided about his plans for 2014.
- MLB is prepared to implement an expanded replay system that includes manager challenges. It will go up for final approval in November.
- A-Rod has started the process of filing a medical grievance against the Yankees for the way they handled his hip injury.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.