2013 Season: 85-77 (637 RS, 671 RA, 77-85 pythag. record), didn’t qualify for playoffs
Top stories from last week:
- The Yankees made their first major move of the offseason this weekend by agreeing to sign catcher Brian McCann to a five-year contract worth $85M. The deal includes a vesting option for a sixth year that could push the total value to $100M. McCann must still pass a physical before the contract is official. Needless to say, this is an enormous upgrade.
- In addition to McCann, the Yankees agreed to re-sign Brendan Ryan to a one-year pact worth $1-2M and acquired infielder Dean Anna from the Padres in a minor swap. Anna, Slade Heathcott, Gary Sanchez, Bryan Mitchell, Shane Greene, and Jose Campos were all added to the 40-man roster and protected from the Rule 5 Draft. Corban Joseph was outrighted off the 40-man and accepted his assignment to Triple-A Scranton.
- Targets Jhonny Peralta and David Freese signed with the Cardinals and were traded to the Angels, respectively, so they are no longer options for New York. The Yankees did indicate a willingness to offer Peralta a four-year pact in the $52M range before he hooked on with St. Louis. They weren’t in on Carlos Ruiz before he re-upped with the Phillies.
- Among the players New York showed interest in last week are Matt Kemp, Joe Nathan, and Raul Ibanez. Curtis Granderson remains a “serious part” of the team’s offseason plans. The Yankees still have offers out even after signing McCann but they don’t have much interest in Matt Garza or Ubaldo Jimenez.
- Robinson Cano‘s camp called a meeting with the Mets’ brass, apparently in an effort to drum up some leverage. The Yankees have said they won’t wait around for Cano. The Dodgers and Marlins are not in the mix for Cano.
- The appeal of Alex Rodriguez‘s record 211-game suspension concluded on Thursday, the day after he stormed out of the room and declared the proceedings a “farce.” A ruling may not come until January.
- The Yankees reportedly plan to spend big on international free agents during next summer’s signing period.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.