Only one more day of workouts until actual Spring Training games start. Here are the day’s notes from Tampa:
- Busy day on the mound(s) today following yesterday’s rain. Michael Pineda, Esmil Rogers, Bryan Mitchell, Chase Whitley, Chasen Shreve, and Andrew Miller were among those to throw live batting practice while David Carpenter, Luis Severino, and Jacob Lindgren were the notables to throw bullpen sessions. All the position players hit and went through fielding drills, including Alex Rodriguez at first base. [Chad Jennings, Brendan Kuty]
- Carlos Beltran won’t play right field in Spring Training games the first few weeks following offseason elbow surgery. “We are taking it slow. He has done some throwing. We don’t feel with five weeks until (the regular season) there is a reason to rush him,’’ said Joe Girardi. [George King]
- Adam Warren, Nathan Eovaldi, and Rogers will start the team’s first three Grapefruit League games this week. Severino and Lindgren are both scheduled to follow Warren on Tuesday and Miller will follow Eovaldi on Wednesday. [Mark Feinsand]
- The Yankees will play a five or six-inning intrasquad game tomorrow but not against live pitching. They’ll use a pitching machine instead. Most of the team’s projected regulars will play. [Jennings]
- And finally, apparently Jose Campos is going by Vicente Campos now. Last spring J.R. Murphy became John Ryan Murphy, now Campos is Vicente. Alrighty. [Jennings]
Here is your open thread for the evening. None of the local hockey or basketball teams are in action and there’s no college hoops either. Slow night. Talk about whatever you want here.