Saturday was the first official workout for pitchers and catchers in Tampa. Position players are due to report on Wednesday — many of them are already in camp though — and the first full squad workout is scheduled for Thursday. Here are Saturday’s notes from Spring Training:
- CC Sabathia regained ten pounds this offseason — “I lost a bunch of weight drastically, pretty quick, two years ago, and kinda was off balance and didn’t know really how my body was working,” he said — and received regular platelet-rich plasma injections in his knee over the winter. He threw his first bullpen of the spring and is “able to go 100% and not feel anything.” [Dan Barbarisi, David Lennon, Bryan Hoch]
- In addition to Sabathia, Dellin Betances, Luis Severino, Jacob Lindgren, David Carpenter, Bryan Mitchell, and Chris Capuano also threw bullpen sessions. Betances has already thrown a few bullpens and will face hitters at the end of next week. Esmil Rogers has been told to prepare to start the March 5th game against the Pirates. That’s the team’s third Grapefruit League game. [Chad Jennings, Brendan Kuty, Marly Rivera]
- Carlos Beltran has reported early and has been doing a lot of work in the batting cage this winter following elbow surgery. He did say the soreness is worse some days than others. Brian McCann, Gary Sanchez, and the rest of the catchers took batting practice. Didi Gregorius has reported early. [Marly Rivera, Kuty]
- Minor league note: the Yankees have hired former Angels speedster Reggie Willits to be their minor league outfield and base-running coordinator. [Chad Jennings]
- And finally, Sabathia said Alex Rodriguez‘s return is not a big deal to the Yankees in the clubhouse, just to the media. [Bob Nightengale]
This is your open thread for the night. The Devils are playing and there’s come college basketball on as well. You folks know how these things work by now, so have at it.