Record Last Week: 5-2 (42 RS, 26 RA)
Season Record: 69-44 (603 RS, 436 RA, 74-39 pythag. record), one back of AL East lead, seven up for wildcard
Opponents This Week: Mon. OFF, vs. Angels (three games, Tues. to Thurs.), vs. Rays (three games, Fri. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The week started with four games in Chicago, and the Yankees held on to beat the White Sox in the opener. Phil Hughes pitched well in a rain-shortened win on Tuesday, then the offense went to work in the next day’s win. Ivan Nova finished off the four-game sweep in dominating fashion on Thursday.
- The Yankees headed to Boston after dismantling the ChiSox, and took control of first place in the AL East with a win on Friday. CC Sabathia got roughed up in Saturday’s loss, and Mariano Rivera blew a save in yesterday’s loss.
- Injury News: Alex Rodriguez has resumed baseball activities and could begin a minor league rehab assignment on Friday. Austin Romine went for an MRI on his strained back and was placed on the DL.
- Frankie Cervelli was almost traded to the Pirates for Brad Lincoln, but the two teams couldn’t work out an agreement. Ownership was pushing for a Wandy Rodriguez trade before the deadline. The Yankees have been aggressively blocking players on trade waivers.
- The Yankees had planned to demote Nova to Triple-A Scranton after Thursday’s game, but he pitched too well. Jorge Posada is being phased out of the DH spot.
- Third rounder Jordan Cote signed for an above-slot bonus, and the team worked out a good late round pick in Tampa. The Yankees won’t be signing another good later rounder, though. Randy Flores has been released.
- MLB investigated A-Rod for his alleged participation in an illegal poker game, but he will not be suspended.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.