Record Last Week: 6-0 (28 RS, 12 RA)
Season Record: 40-25 (309 RS, 253 RA, 39-26 pythag. record), 1.5 games up in AL East
Opponents This Week: vs. Braves (Mon. to Weds.), Thurs. OFF, @ Mets (three games, Fri. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The Yankees opened the NL park portion of their interleague schedule with three games in Atlanta. Ivan Nova shut the Braves down in the first game, then big homers by Alex Rodriguez (grand slam) and Nick Swisher (two-run) gave the Yankees the come-from-behind win on Tuesday. Curtis Granderson hit a late homer on Wednesday to clinch the sweep.
- Following Thursday’s off day, the Yanks headed to Washington for a three-game weekend set with the Nationals. Phil Hughes and Curtis Granderson led the team to a win in the opener, then Mark Teixeira‘s two-run double gave New York a win in the 14th inning on Saturday. Nova finished off the sweep with another strong performance yesterday.
- Injury News: Mariano Rivera (knee) had successful surgery to repair his torn ACL. Brett Gardner (elbow) received platelet-rich plasma therapy on his elbow and will miss another 3-4 weeks. Nick Swisher (quad contusion) is day-to-day. Rafael Soriano (blister) was unavailable Monday but has since returned to action. Both Joba Chamberlain (elbow, ankle) and David Aardsma (elbow) are getting closer to minor league rehab stints. Both Jose Campos (elbow) and Manny Banuelos (elbow) are still in “rest mode.”
- David Robertson (oblique) was activated off the DL on Thursday. David Phelps was optioned to High-A Tampa to make room on the roster, and he will get stretched out in Florida before joining the Triple-A Empire State rotation.
- The Yankees are said to have trade interest in right-hander Ryan Dempster, but do not consider outfielder Carlos Quentin a fit. They were one of several clubs to scout Ben Sheets recently. The Yankees lost out on 20-year-old Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler, who signed with the Cubs for nine years and $30M.
- Among the draft picks that signed this week: second rounder Austin Aune ($1M), fourth rounder Corey Black ($215k), sixth rounder Nick Goody ($140k), and 14th rounder Andrew Benak ($100k). They signed nine other picks as well.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.