Sep

Fan Confidence Poll: September 9th, 2013

Record Last Week: 4-3 (50 RS, 47 RA)
Season Record: 76-67 (592 RS, 594 RA, 71-72 pythag. record), 10.0 GB ALE/2.5 GB WC
Opponents This Week: @ Orioles (four games, Mon. to Thurs.), @ Red Sox (three games, Fri. to Sun.)

Top stories from last week:

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.

Categories : Polls

1. trr says:

“4″
    The future ain’t bright, not for the rest of this year or next year, especially if the Steinbunglers fold to plan

2. FLYER7 says:

Wasnt Melky Mesa released?

• ropeadope says:

Yes he was. Mike may have meant Vidal Nuno (along with Joseph), not Mesa. From MLB.com:

“New York Yankees recalled Vidal Nuno from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders and was placed on 60-day disabled list, strained left groin.” (09/07/13)

3. Frank says:

Actually dropped from a 4 to a 3.

Things aren’t looking good anytime soon.

• The Other Sam says:

Ditto. The pitching picture is not looking good.

Near term – Kuroda’s post-All Star break wall, Hughes/Joba complete train wrecks, Nova could implode at any given moment a la 2012, and, dare I say it, Mo doesn’t seem to be what he used to be.

Long term – A declining CC is under an exorbitant contract for next to forever, and Pineda is a big question mark, and Robertson may always be a great 8th inning guy (which is not a reliable closer). And btw, Chapman threw 102 last night.

4. Eddard says:

We’re at a 10 and that’s only because of how poorly the Rays have played. They’re still in this but they need to start playing winning baseball tonight. 3/4 from the Os and 2/3 from the Sox would put them right back in it.

I’m reminded of a documentary I watched over the weekend about Lewis and Clark. These were two ordinary guys who led an expedition across the vast unknown territory known as the Louisiana Purchase. Thomas Jefferson wanted them to find a water passage to the Pacific Ocean. It took them over 2 years to get there and back and not once did they lose confidence. They encountered friendly Indian tribes, unfriendly tribes, the Spanish sent envoys to intercept them but they just kept pushing on and that’s what the Yankees need to do. Lewis did commit suicide a few years after but everyone else lived happily ever after, except the Indian tribes of course.

5. MannyGeee says:

Wow… look at all those 4s. That’s pretty funny.

6. Robinson Tilapia says:

7. Same shit, different week.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

If we’d lost that game yesterday, I’d be at a 6. Our offense and pitching have just completely swapped their early season roles.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’m probably in between a 6 and 7, honestly.

Below even money for this year, so we’ll call that a 4, above even money for next year, so we’ll call that a 6, and much more positive moving forward, so we’ll call that an 8. I guess that does even out to a six. We’ll add the extra point because I’m four Fred Davis points away from winning Week One of FF.

7. Steve says:

Thank GOD for Ichiro . Made a great throw the other day but catcher could not hold on Sunday singles, steals 2nd advances to 3rd and scores winning run on wild pitch

8. LarryM Fl says:

5 down from a 6, IMHO this weekend series showed the flaws in the Yankee organization from top to bottom in regards to the operation in Boston. I understand the injuries were quite severe and the team has played as well as could be expected. They may have even played above expectations. But the wheels are coming off the pitching especially our bullpen which has held out to the bitter end.

Do I hold out hope for the final playoff spot, yes. Do I have high expectations, no. The baseball gods provided us a gift yesterday with the win. I do not believe this will continue to occur.

There is much work to do over the winter when the “hot stove league season” my favorite non baseball time of the year.

9. brian says:

Somehow, someway, I still think the Yankees are going to get that 2nd wild card..

This team really has no business making the playoffs (and as we debated a few weeks ago, I’m of the opinion it’s not really making the playoffs unless you’re playing in the division series)

I just have that sense they are gonna get that sweep of Houston the final series and get in

10. Mandy Stankewicz says:

Still a 6. I think we can stop with the Youk injury updates at this point.

11. RBC says:

Its amazing how the confidence poll numbers dropped as the season went on. I used to be at a 7, now I’m at a 3.

I understand the team suffered from injuries, but the pitching has been dreadful and I’m really starting to question what exactly is going on in the farm system.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’ll be honest and say I’m not sure how that happens. There’s very little going on that wasn’t a distinct possibility at the start of the season. If anything, the team’s stayed in contention longer than most fans thought they would.

My thoughts on 2013 have been pretty steady throughout. It was going to be a difficult fight, and it’s lived up to its billing. The team’s in the type of fight to contend we haven’t seen in a while.

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion, but I have a hard time seeing how someone’s outlook on this 2013 team could either violently fluctuate, or continously decrease, as the season wears n.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

I can see the violent fluctuation, but not the constant decrease. We’ve gone through some pretty crazy ups and downs.

• JLC 776 says:

I’m right with you. My score has changed exactly once this season (it dropped one point in May but I may ratchet back up to where I was in April as the team is finishing much stronger than I expected).

The FCP reflects a lot of the ‘living and dying with every win and loss’ that I used to go through. I reached inner peace with baseball a few years ago and am above that now. So I’ve got that going for me. Which is nice.

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

I’m there with baseball too, except for that thursday night game. That one killed me.

I wish I could get to there with football. Damn Giants.

• I'm a looser baby so why don't you kill me? says:

I actually very much disagree as my outlook has steadily worsened since April.

Some extremely important developments happened which, though not necessarily beyond the realm of “that which we could have predicted prior to the start of the season” are nonetheless extremely troubling, and definitely caused a steadily worsening outlook, especially when looked at cumulatively:

- CC has gotten steadily worse, and is now an outright disaster on the mound – one of the worst pitchers in baseball since the ASB (!) Might he rebound next year? Sure. But his evolution this season has been one way – down. And it’s been a steep and dramatic fall. Factor in the contract and good god.

- No one in the farm exceeded expectations. A few met expectations. (If you want to quibble, I might grant that a couple guys exceeded expectations but those expectations were sorta low, so pretty much what they’ve done is raised stock from meh to trade chip.)

- Kuroda and Andy have both hit a major wall. Though Andy has shown some signs of coming around, neither looks like they can be a reliable factor for the rest of this year, to say nothing of 2014 (we need more than 20 strong starts from Kuroda if we pay him to stay next year).

- Hughes went from inconsistent to outright terrible. No improvement from Joba is a disappointment.

- Teix got injured, came back, got injured. Jeter did the same, twice. And may have played his last game.

- There was some brief optimism from the offensive rebound. But that was always supposed to happen when the reinforcements arrived. What wasn’t supposed to happen was the wheels coming off the starting staff, the bullpen, and even Mo himself of late.

- Injuries up the yin yang.

We can debate the near, medium, and long term outlooks, and what score we average out to, but IMO there is a metric ton of factors to contribute to a steadily worsening outlook for this team this year as the season progressed

I’ll be rooting hard to the bitter end (emphasis on bitter!) but I’ve gone from a 6 to a 4 over the course of this season, and that factors in my outlook for now, next year, and beyond.

12. NYPLATOONS says:

Let’s see..

This team has no catcher.
    Possibly no 3b for next year.
    Will Jeter retire can he even play SS
    Cano is a free agent
    Tex is a HR or bust

The entire infield is in question with nobody in the farm worth looking at.

Outfield
    Granderson is a HR or bust and a free agent
    Garder & Ichrio have the strength of a 12 year old. They couldn’t drive in Ricky Henderson.

The P staff with all those holes opening up on the lineup this team is super fvcked big time!

Just keep looking at the soup kitchen and find Joe 90 guys he can rotate in. Doesn’t matter by the 3rd game he’ll be sitting his starters.

85 wins can I change it to 80? Gimmie a break ………Future LOL 2 that!

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

You can do better than this.

• JLC 776 says:

I know! Not a single knock on the inept front office? No mention of a terrible manager? Not even a single comment on a dried up and talentless farm (although I guess there are many indirect references to that)?

The negative comments are really losing narrative focus these days.

13. mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

Sometimes I’m down because the Yankees lost 3 out 4 to the Sox and the Giants had 5 turnovers making even the Cowgirls a winner. But then like a ray of sunshine Eddard’s Lewis and Clark comments makes me LMAO and realize that thing could be worse. I could be Lewis or an Indian tribe.

• mustang (The Has Beens & Wannabes Bunch 2013) says:

I was actually at 5 but after reading Eddard’s comment I went up to 7. I think Mike should have T-Shirt made with that comment.

• I'm a looser baby so why don't you kill me? says:

+1 on Eddard’s comment! Best of the season to be sure.

I didn’t raise my score, but it certainly brightened my mood.

14. Tony says:

Rivera has now blown 7 saves, the most since 2001. But his ERA is still excellent. That raises the question has he been asked to protect an abnormally large fraction of 1-run leads this year, as opposed to 2 or 3-run leads where a single run does not mean a blown save? It seems likely, given the offensive struggles for most of the season, until August.

Anyone know that stat?

• Jim Is A (Bored) Peckerhead says:

meant as a reply to Tony^

• Tony says:

Thanks Jim. In 2001, the last time Rivera had 7 BS, he was in 26 1-run games. This year he’s been in 19 so far. Excluding those two years (and last year) he averages 15 1-run games. So there’s a little truth to my hypothesis, but a closer examination doesn’t reveal much of a correlation between BS and 1-run games.