Some notes on this Monday:
- RHP Alex Smith has been released and RHP Kyle Haynes was demoted from Triple-A Scranton to Double-A Trenton to fill the roster spot, reports Matt Kardos. The RailRiders had six starters for five spots after RHP Chad Green was sent down. Smith, 26, was signed as an undrafted free agent back in 2012. Most undrafted signees are gone within a year or two. He stuck around a while.
- 2B Nick Solak, IF Drew Bridges, and RHP Kolton Mahoney were all named to the NY-Penn League All-Star Game, the league announced. Here are the North and South rosters. The All-Star Game is next Tuesday and will be played in Hudson Valley. The internet tells me the ballpark is in Fishkill, New York, if any of you are nearby and interested in going.
- I missed this the other day, but Eric Longenhagen posted scouting reports on the three players the Yankees received in the Carlos Beltran trade. He has RHP Dillon Tate with two present 60 pitches on the 20-80 scouting scale (fastball, slider) and a third future 60 pitch (changeup), which is really awesome. RHP Nick Green and RHP Erik Swanson aren’t nobodies either.
- And finally, LHP Josh Rogers was named the High-A Florida State League Pitcher of the Week, so congrats to him. The Yankees gave Rogers an above-slot $485,000 bonus as their 11th round pick last year.
Triple-A Scranton had a scheduled off-day.
Double-A Trenton (12-6 win over Richmond)
- CF Dustin Fowler: 2-6, 1 R, 1 2B, 3 RBI, 1 K, 1 SB — he’s hitting .311/.352/.504 in his last 68 games, so yeah
- SS Abi Avelino: 1-4, 2 R, 1 2B, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 SB, 1 E (throwing) — 11-for-32 (.344) in ten games since the promotion
- RF Billy McKinney: 1-4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 BB, 1 K
- 1B Mike Ford: 2-4, 2 R, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K
- RHP Ronald Herrera: 5.1 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 K, 9/2 GB/FB — 63 of 95 pitches were strikes (66%)