Record Last Week: 3-3 (22 RS, 22 RA)
Season Record: 53-35 (455 RS, 334 RA, 57-31 pythag. record), tied in the loss column for AL East lead
Opponents This Week: Mon. to Weds. OFF for All-Star break, @ Blue Jays (four games, Thurs. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The return of Derek Jeter took place in Cleveland, though the Yankees dropped the series opener. CC Sabathia and Curtis Granderson helped the team to a win the next day, though Phil Hughes was okay at best in his return, taking the loss on Wednesday.
- The Rays came to town next for a four-game series, but Bartolo Colon got smacked around in the opener. Friday’s game was rained out and Tampa voted against playing a doubleheader on Saturday. Jeter homered for his 3,000th career hit and drove in the game-winning run on Saturday, then Sabathia hurled a complete game shutout yesterday.
- Injury News: Alex Rodriguez has a slightly torn meniscus in his right knee and will miss 4-6 weeks after having surgery today. Rafael Soriano threw live batting practice but Pedro Feliciano experienced some soreness in his throwing shoulder and had to be shut down. Damaso Marte is throwing bullpen sessions. Eric Chavez suffered another setback. Mariano Rivera missed a few days with a sore triceps. Jesus Montero was placed on the minor league disabled list with a sore back.
- Brian Gordon was released so that he could sign with a team in Korea. Kanekoa Texeira was also released while Lance Pendleton was demoted to Triple-A to accommodate Hughes’ return. Chris Dickerson went down for Jeter.
- David Robertson and Sabathia were named to the AL All-Star Team, and Robinson Cano will participate in the Homerun Derby. A-Rod will miss the game because of his knee injury, and both Rivera and Jeter will skip the game as well.
- Montero was named the eighth best prospect in baseball by Baseball America while Manny Banuelos and Dellin Betances also cracked the top 50.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.