2013 Season: 85-77 (637 RS, 671 RA, 77-85 pythag. record), didn’t qualify for playoffs
Top stories from last week:
- Alex Rodriguez filed two lawsuits last week, one against MLB for their “witch hunt” and another against Yankees team doctor Christopher Ahmad for an alleged misdiagnosis of his left hip injury last fall. A-Rod also asked MLB to stand down as his general counsel during the appeal of his 211-game suspension, which started last week.
- The Yankees made an official contract offer to impending free agent Joe Girardi, and they’ll have to give him a “significant” raise to keep him. The Nationals asked for permission to interview Girardi while the Cubs are preparing a “serious contract offer.” The Yankees are not giving their manager permission to speak to other clubs until his contract expires on October 31st. Tony Pena is unlikely to be the next manager if Girardi leaves.
- Injury News: Boone Logan (elbow) had surgery to remove a bone spur and is expected to start throwing in December. Minor leaguers Ty Hensley (hips) and Mark Montgomery (shoulder) have started throwing while Gosuke Katoh (finger) will miss a few weeks after tearing a ligament.
- The Yankees were one of several clubs to scout free agent Cuban slugger Jose Abreu, who held several showcase events at their complex in the Dominican Republic. The Rangers called to inquire about the availability of Robinson Cano at the trade deadline, but talks never got off the ground.
- Derek Jeter has not yet made a decision about his $9.5M player option. Curtis Granderson’s agent said his client’s “first choice” is to return to Yankees. Both Mark Reynolds and Brendan Ryan expressed an interest in returning to New York next season.
- Mike Zagurski elected free agency after being removed from the 40-man roster and outrighted to Triple-A Scranton.
- Rafael DePaula made Baseball America’s list of the top 20 prospects in the Low-A South Atlantic League while Eric Jagielo made the Short Season Staten Island list. The Yankees have the 18th overall pick in next summer’s draft.
- Brian Cashman touched on a number of topics during his annual end-of-season press conference. He said the team is going to look into the cause of their unproductive farm system.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.