Thanks to a six-run ninth inning, the Yankees came back for a 9-4 win over the Astros in Kissimmee this afternoon. Ramon Flores (solo), Jake Cave (solo), and Greg Bird (two-run) all went deep and Rob Refsnyder singled in two runs. Didi Gregorius went 0-for-3, Stephen Drew went 0-got-2 with a walk, and both Chase Headley and Mark Teixeira went 1-for-3. Cave had two hits off the bench.
Veteran retread Scott Baker got lit up in his inning of work, allowing three runs on six hits. Jose DePaula threw two scoreless innings out of the bullpen in his spring debut, and Danny Burawa, Tyler Webb, Kyle Davies, Caleb Cotham, and Zach Nuding threw one shutout inning each. Nick Rumbelow allowed one run in his inning. Here’s the box score — no video highlights because the game wasn’t televised — and here are the rest of the day’s notes from Tampa:
- Masahiro Tanaka threw a two-inning, 29-pitch simulated game and everything went well. “He’s exactly where you want him to be at this point in Spring Training,” said pitching coach Larry Rothschild. Tanaka’s next appearance will be in a real game, reportedly Thursday. [Bryan Hoch]
- CC Sabathia will throw a two-inning simulated game tomorrow but it’s unclear when he will get into a spring game. Dellin Betances will make his spring debut tomorrow and Michael Pineda will make his on Monday. Nathan Eovaldi will follow Pineda in Monday’s game. [Brendan Kuty, Hoch]
- Pineda, Esmil Rogers, and Chase Whitley all threw bullpen sessions. Otherwise it was a light workout day. The position players who played last night had the day off. [Chad Jennings]
- Following last night’s spring debut, Carlos Beltran said his elbow feels fine and he doesn’t need any sort of brace or sleeve. “The good thing is I’m pain free,” he said. “Honestly, I’m not concerned at all … Now it’s just time to get the timing.” [Erik Boland, Jennings]
- Joe Girardi said “it’s possible” Alex Rodriguez will play third base tomorrow. Brendan Ryan (mid-back sprain) remains day-to-day according to the skipper. Slade Heathcott was scratched from this afternoon’s game due to an illness. [Boland, Brendan Kuty, Hoch]
- Waiting for the Opening Day starting pitcher announcement? Keep waiting. Girardi said he hasn’t made up his mind and wants to see how his pitchers look before making a decision. [Jennings]
Here is tonight’s open thread. MLB Network is replaying this afternoons Nationals-Cardinals game, plus both the Knicks and Islanders are playing. And there’s some college hoops too. Talk about anything except religion and politics here.