Record Last Week: 6-2 (46 RS, 33 RA)
Season Record: 97-62 (855 RS, 639 RA, 102-57 pythag. record), clinched AL East and homefield advantage
Regular Season Opponents This Week: @ Rays (three games, Mon. to Weds.), Thurs. OFF
Playoff Opponents This Week: ALDS Game One vs. TBD (Fri.)
Top stories from last week:
- The week started off with a one-game makeup date against the Twins, which the Yankees won thanks to Mariano Rivera’s record-setting 602nd career save.
- The Rays came to town for four games in three days after that, and the Yankees took the opener despite some serious RISPFAIL. They clinched a playoff spot thanks to Robinson Cano’s game-winning hit in the first game of Wednesday’s doubleheader, and then they clinched the AL East thanks to Jorge Posada’s big hit in the nightcap. Tampa won the final game in blowout fashion.
- Next up was the Red Sox, but Friday’s game was rained out. The Yankees clinched homefield advantage by blowing out the Red Sox, then the two teams split yesterday’s doubleheader.
- Injury News: Phil Hughes had a started skipped, and an MRI showed inflammation in his back. Frankie Cervelli is no longer showing concussion symptoms, but the Yankees are unlikely to have him the rest of the season. Joba Chamberlain has started playing catch after his Tommy John surgery.
- CC Sabathia will not make another start in the regular season, so he threw a simulated game to prepare for the ALDS. Ivan Nova is likely to start Game Two behind CC.
- Dante Bichette Jr. and Ravel Santana were ranked as the top two prospects in the Gulf Coast League by Baseball America.
- The next Collective Bargaining Agreement is likely to expand the playoffs and include a second wildcard team.
- The Yankees are worth an estimated $1.7 billion.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.