Jul

Fan Confidence Poll: July 7th, 2014

Record Last Week: 3-4 (30 RS, 30 RA)
Season Record: 44-43 (353 RS, 385 RA, 40-47 pythag. record)
Opponents This Week: @ Indians (four games, Mon. to Thurs.), @ Orioles (three games, Fri. to Sun.)

Top stories from last week:

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.

Categories : Polls

1. JLC 776 says:

While my confidence in this season is still quite low, my long-term confidence and faith in the organization was strengthened due to the international free agent signings. It was great to see the Yankees leverage their primary competitive advantage to just completely dominate the signing pool and hopefully retool the lower levels of their system with some future talent.

Hopefully they develop some of them into home-grown stars rather than just turn them into trade bait for aging veterans!

• Looser trader droids FotD™ says:

I too was heartened by that splurge. Between that and the farm I still sit at a 5. The team in the bigs is tough to watch, even when they win.

2. Yankee$ says:

Severino cracks mid-season Top 50 at 34 at Baseball America.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Good news there.

Wayne can now panic more.

• nycsportzfan says:

As he should have. Young buck is doing big things a higher level then he should be at.

As i’ll continue to say like a broken record , the Yanks farm system is on the rise and will surely be ranked in the top 9-12 next yr if not better. What makes that even more exciting is that we all ready have young home grown talent spread throughout the team.

3. jgibs816 says:

Is it true that Aceves’ “drub of abuse” was pot? And that players are NOT tested for it in the majors but are the minors?

If so, talk about a raw deal huh? Guy coulda smoked his last joint after his last game with the Yanks and it woulda still been in his system for his test in the minors. Anyway, who cares, he sucked anyway.

Confidence level…has been a 7 but with the signings from the International market I’ll be a little more optimistic that more than a couple of them will pan out. 8

4. Cheddard Whitley says:

I’m willing to go up to a 1 because we’re finally seeing some signs of life from the FO. McCarthy is an upgrade over Nuno. Anybody is an upgrade over Nuno. Soriano was dead weight and he had to go.

Unfortunately, there is a lot more dead weight to drop. Kelly Johnson has to be the next to go. They can only have so many players hitting .220 or less and he doesn’t even give us that much pop. People wanted him to play more and he’s done less. Call up Pirela, call up Zolio and give the kids a chance to hit .220 or less.

Still need to make a move for another starter to replace Whitley. BGDP has found his groove as a starter. But pitching should not be the priority, offense should. I know they beat up on the Twins but they always beat up on the Twins. They won’t touch Masterson tonight. They need more youth and power in the lineup if they are to compete with the high flying Os.

5. Farewell Mo says:

Not making the playoffs this year and next year they’re gonna need a 2B, SS, 3B, RFer and 4 starting pitchers with the only likely internal option being Refsnyder.
    Good like trying to fill even half of those holes with players better than mediocre

6. TWTR says:

4. They are spinning their wheels in mediocrity. I wish they would bring Refsnyder up.

7. Yankenstein says:

Still at a 7. Considering how wishy washy they look they are still only 3 games out. Now that we starting getting rid of guys who were not working out I expect that trend to continue. I’m hoping we can only get better.

• Farewell Mo says:

Even if they were to back into a playoff spot with the AL East being lousy, they’d stand little to no chance against Oakland or Detroit.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Get me to the potential mismatch. Then I’ll worry about whether it’s a mismatch.

• The Great Gonzo says:

THIS. I’ll roll the dice with the mismatch in October.

• Farewell Mo says:

You can play the “anything can happen in a short series ” card but you won’t need to worry about whether or not it’s a mismatch because it will be painfully obvious.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Just like the Cardinals had no chance against Halladay, Lee and Hamels…

• Get Phelps Up says:

In fact, from 2010-2012, the worst team in the playoffs made it to the World Series each year. In those years, the best record in the playoffs was ousted in the first round each time. The 2010 World Series was a match of the two worst teams in the playoffs. Last year’s World Series was the first time it’s been the best team in the AL vs. the best team in the NL since 1999.

• mustang says:

Dropping the facts to back it up!

Go on Bro!

• JGYank says:

Postseason is a crapshoot. Just get there. Don’t like our chances, but who needs odds when all you need is clutch hits?

• Cheddard Whitley says:

Tanaka would pitched twice in each series and they’d have a chance to win those. Get another hot pitcher and you can win any series. If you’re hot at the right time that’s all it takes.

8. Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I almost bumped down to even money territory, but the McCarthy deal and the beginnings of making some immediate changes at the MLB level put me back to where I’ve been for most of the season at a 6, slightly above even money both in the medium and long term. My outlook on 2014 is still quite a bit less rosy than it was at the start of the season. We’re going to be in the same dogfight we were last year to make the playoffs. Hopefully, the end result will be different.

9. JGYank says:

Back up to a 6 mostly due to the international FA signings and also getting rid of nuno and sori helps the current team and shows that they’re doing something (although getting rid of sori hurt more than it should have).

Plus McCarthy is our new savior!

• JGYank says:

However, the CC stuff really concerns me. What happens to his career and what do we do with his contract? I like the McCarthy deal. Nuno really had no upside and it doesn’t matter to me that we traded a player we had control over because it’s hard to see him have success in any role. I like McCarthy who has good velocity, can pitch deeper into games, and probably has had terrible luck so far so he’ll be a small upgrade. Unfortunately it was time to let sori go. Hadn’t contributed really anything on the field this year. Just a ton of bad ABs and the occasional homer. I wish him well wherever he goes. This team still has some holes to fill and this month will really help determine their chances of making it to October with their play and any other possible trades/moves they make.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

If he’s physically unable to pitch, I guess insurance pays for the remainder of the contract if he doesn’t retire? I’m not good on this aspect of things.

His loss won’t hold the franchise back from upgrading. It just makes the road steeper.

• JGYank says:

Insurance would hopefully cover it if he’s unable to go out there, but if he is able to pitch and can’t magically rediscover his pre 2013 form, that contract is going to hold us back. Probably prevent us from signing another starter.

10. Nsalem says:

7 I like the farm and hope we don’t totally tear it apart for a possible short playoff run. Also finally figured out why Girardi refers to Beltran as Carlos. Belly and Tranny just don’t work.

11. The Great Gonzo says:

I didn’t let last weeks abortion against the AL East sway my confidence, nor will I let the ass-whipping they gave Minnesota sway it…

I am a legit Polyanna, I sit at a 7 still. When Beltran starts hitting and they craft themselves a 3b, shit’s gonna get real.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I like the idea of creating a third baseman through arts and crafts. Paper mache may be more durable than Alex, Youkilis, and Headley combined.

Also, you and I know the real Pollyannas vote a 2 because they’re not ten games ahead, like they thought.

• ropeadope says:

I like the idea of creating a third baseman through arts and crafts.

3D printers will replace the farm system by the year 2020.

12. Bobby d says:

Only chance for the yanks to win a championship again is to start bringing up their youn talent from the farm especially Refsnyder and give them a chance . I’d rather have them in the lineup than old fading stars batting .220! We are kidding ourselves if we believe cashman is going to rebuild this team through trades. You just cannot do it with free agents anymore as proven this offseason. Teams sign their young stars now rather than let them test the market.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

The guy Refsnyder would replace is batting 30 points over your forementioned .220.

No one is rebuilding anything solely through trades right now. Can I offer you some water?

• The Great Gonzo says:

Does anyone else notice that Rob Refsnyder is a little bit of a hack? Or do we all know it and no one wants to mention it? Or do we just not care because “Teh Futurez!”

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I mean……so was Robbie, but he’s not Robbie. I’m willing to live with some hackdom if he adjusts to the next level just as well.

• The Great Gonzo says:

The point being… Let’s not anoint this kid as the Savior, as he, much like most Non-Trout prospects coming up, has some warts.

When he gets up here and K’s 10 times in his first 5 starts, lets all remember this is who he has been.

If he can adjust, I’m OK with it

13. Melky 2015 says:

Wait till next year.

14. LarryM Fl says:

5. This team is going nowhere as presently constructed. I have no issue with it. The landscape of acquiring players through trades and FA has changed a bit. So the period of adjustment will take a few years to get it right for the team to improve their roster through the draft, FA and trades.

I just hope the remainder of this year and the next two will bring about meaningful exploration of the younger payer and curtailing the signings of older FA’s. I’m willing to accept .500 or near .500 baseball for the sake of developing a younger, hungrier nucleus which may take us to another great run of playoffs and WS titles. The present method has been changed by the CBA to stop the Yankees from using their advantages within the CBA. So the model must change. The Yankee FO and fans must adapt to seeing a different product on the field with an eye looking at the future.

• steved fl says:

Why must you be so rational Larry? :)

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Young and hungry leads to bad decisions at a Taco Bell at 3:00 AM. It doesn’t necessarily net you a winner.

Baseball has always changed, and the Yankees have always adapted over time.

• Looser trader droids FotD™ says:

Sometimes it has taken new ownership in order to adapt.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

I’d say Hal is much more likely to adapt to new realities than his father ever would. We are already seeing proof of that.

I’ve only know this family as ownership. I wasn’t born for the CBS years. My knowledge of history, though, would lead me to believe that I’d rather have current ownership than them as well.

Time allows us to wax nostalgic about eras that weren’t. It’s all up in our face now. I’d wager to say that, in the 2035 virtual reality/Google-brain-chip website “Refsnyder Avenue Blues,” they’ll be someone named……Fred Robbins……who’ll tell us how great we had it during the Hal Steinbrenner years and how the new owner doesn’t have the guts/heart/robot minions to get it done.

• The Great Gonzo says:

I’ll take that bet, if for no other reason that the website will be “Sons of Solatre”.

• Kenny says:

You’re right about the CBS years, nothing to recall with pleasure. The Yankees were just another portfolio item for them, and they seemed indifferent both to baseball and to the Yankee legacy.

The Topping/Webb years were really run for those two by George Weiss, and while he was a Grand Master, he had that one fatal flaw that kept him from changing with the game. The “R” flaw. When the team finally fell apart, Topping and Webb were gone.

I think in retrospect Weiss had only kept up with the game as it had evolved (under the Rickey influence) in the 1930s, with the minor league system. The Yankees may have been a bit late getting on board, but when they did they did it with power and authority. Weiss’s failure was in not adapting their powerful minor league structure to the post-Jackie Robinson era. They got what they deserved as a result.

Who knows what’s needed now? I’m a bit less sanguine about the recent splurge on internationals merely because it’s even more than the usual crapshoot when the players are so young.

I don’t know how the Yanks need to adapt to the Selig changes. A smarter front office maybe. Maybe new faces are needed (as is often the case when times change in some sport or industry or profession)–which may not mean the owners so much as their hired help.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Also, POLLYANNA. Beat you to it. :)

15. A Byd says:

I agree with the recent moves. More is needed however. Johnson should be next. Bring Solarte back and platoon him with Wheeler at 3rd. Replace Soriano with Refsnyder; give the kid an opportunity to earn it.
    Why not give Severino the spot start tonite and/or shot to fill one the starting roles?
    The organization has a lot of talent in the system, most of which is is 2-3. Years away from being ready. We need middle of the order hitters now, like we once had. Bring back the homerun hitters. I’ve seen enough this version of the Yankees to know that they’re going nowhere.

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Replace Soriano with Refsnyder, at a position the organization has not been focusing on him playing at all.

Give a kid in A ball a spot spart.

I mean, what could go wrong?

16. A Byd says:

6. Losing 60% of the pitching staff to injury has killed the team’s chance to do anything this year. It would be wise to find out what they have in the system. They had a number of guys who played vert well dury spring training.

17. mustang says:

At 7

1- International signings

2- Minors looking good.

3- The McCarthy and Soriano moves.

4- Only 3 games out in the division and 3.5 out the wild card. I will take the “painfully obvious” mismatch against Oakland or Detroit any day then playing golf early.

On other side:

1- Cashman needs to do A LOT more then McCarthy and fat cutting.

2- Minors doing well do nothing for the big boys if they don’t move guys up. Cough…Refsnyder…cough…cough.

18. tom says:

6 for me. That is simply because I hope Beltran and McCann finally reach 260 overall BA and McCarthy to be this year’s Shawn Chacon (2005).

Greene Greene Greene

19. greg says:

We’re a .500 team in a bad division. We have a couple of starters, a few quality relievers and a bunch of old men in the field. And what was supposed to save us (prospects) hasn’t panned out. Williams, Austin, Heathcott, Flores, etc. – all worth nothing. So we’ll be spending $200M annually for the pleasure of watching a mediocre team.

• Roy Munson says:

Thinking this morning on my ride in…. Who the hell is going to fill in for half of the roster next year? They don’t have a Right Fielder, 2B, SS or 3B for 2015. My guess is they Re-Sign Ichiro and live with Alex because well, their names.

They’ll most likely shove Refsyner into being a full time 2B, ruin his confidence and ultimately end his career. As for ss my guess is we’ll see most of what we saw in 2013. A cast of about 11 never was and has been’s filling in.

And then after every game we’ll have to suffer with the “we have guys that can play” rhetoric in the press conferences. Good grief. It’s gonna be an ugly decade in the Bronx

• Jorge Steinbrenner says:

Flores is hurt and may have been up already if he wasn’t.

Perhaps you thought those outfielders were supposed to save us. Most fans thought that one of them becoming a valuable piece would be a plus. It could very well still happen.

20. BESELLERS says:

I think the Yankees should be sellers and here is why.

I think the Yankees should move Kud and pick up a 2b or a SS or possible a RF. I think they should also sell another two guys in return for another piece.

What I’m hoping the Yankees do is sell a few pieces but in return and return only “full time” player for that position.

The reason I’d like to see them sell is because if they can get “full time” better hitters / players in return then it’s less holes to fill in the off season.

I’m not saying gut this team from top to bottom but it looks like Kud is going to retire and I’m sure another team PS bound could really use his help and this is where the Yankees can finally have the upper hand.

I could be wrong on all accounts but this team needs players and just because Jeter is retiring doesn’t mean this whole teams needs to suffer.

21. ChuckIt says:

Unless certain starters up their offensive production,”mediocre” is too high praise for this stinker of a line up.Adding McCarthy,whose having problems with the HR ball won’t help matters.80+ wins will be a long shot.

22. Ben says:

Whoever always votes 10 if just f’ing with us right?