Record Last Week: 3-4 (30 RS, 30 RA)
Season Record: 44-43 (353 RS, 385 RA, 40-47 pythag. record)
Opponents This Week: @ Indians (four games, Mon. to Thurs.), @ Orioles (three games, Fri. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The week started with three games against the Rays, who took the series opener in extra innings. Tampa won again the next day thanks to David Price, then they finished off the sweep and handed New York their fifth straight loss on Wednesday.
- The Yankees headed to Minnesota for four games against the Twins next. They took the series opener behind Masahiro Tanaka before winning the second game despite Chase Whitley’s poor start. The Twins took the third game in extra innings thanks to a walk-off error, but the Bombers rebounded to win the fourth game of the series yesterday.
- Injury Updates: CC Sabathia (knee) suffered a setback and may need microfracture surgery, which would put his career in jeopardy. Carlos Beltran (forearm) is dealing with some lingering stiffness from his throwing program. Mark Teixeira (knee) had some fluid drained and has returned to the lineup.
- The Yankees acquired Brandon McCarthy and cash from the Diamondbacks for Vidal Nuno. They also designated Alfonso Soriano and Dean Anna for assignment. Anna was claimed off waivers by the Pirates. Jose Ramirez, Yangervis Solarte, and were all sent down while Jim Miller, Bruce Billings, and Zelous Wheeler were all called up.
- Before landing McCarthy, the Yankees exchanged proposals with the Cubs for Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel. Both righties were traded to the Athletics. The Yankees are not strongly pursuing Chase Headley at this point, and they offered to eat $4.5M of Ichiro Suzuki’s salary in a trade with the Astros before the season.
- The Yankees spent over $26M on international prospects between bonuses and penalties when the signing period opened on Wednesday.
- Derek Jeter, Tanaka, and Dellin Betances are all heading to the All-Star Game next week. Jeter was voting in as the starting shortstop.
- Alfredo Aceves was suspended 50 games for a second positive test for a drug of abuse.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the interactive Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.