Record Last Week: 3-4 (36 RS, 46 RA)
Season Record: 93-63 (828 RS, 657 RA, 96-60 Pythag. record), 0.5 games back
Schedule This Week: @ Blue Jays (three games, Mon. to Weds.), Thurs. OFF, @ Red Sox (three games, Fri. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The final homestand of the season started with Joe Torre’s return to the Bronx three years after he departed for the Dodgers and with the unveiling of a monument for the late George Steinbrenner. Curtis Granderson‘s two homers gave the Yankees the win over the Rays that night, then a five-run first inning against Jamie Shields gave them another win the next night. Tampa pulled out a win after a lengthy rain delay on Wednesday, and they then secured a split of the four-game set when CC Sabathia had one of his worst starts of the season on Thursday.
- The Red Sox came into town for a weekend series and grabbed the first game after pounding Andy Pettitte. Jon Lester shut the Yanks down the next day, but Juan Miranda‘s walk-off walk on Sunday clinched at least a tie of the Wild Card for the Bombers.
- Injury Zone: David Robertson missed a few days with back spasms.
- The Yanks originally announced that Dustin Moseley would be Sunday’s starter, but they reversed course and went to Phil Hughes. After some confusion, 2007 first rounder Andrew Brackman was called up and added to the active roster.
- Third base coach Robbie Thomson has not yet been contacted by the Blue Jays about their managerial opening. We’ve already started to hear rumors about potential replacements for Joe Girardi if he ends up managing elsewhere next season.
- Gary Sanchez was named the top prospect in the rookie level Gulf Coast League.
- Special assistant Kevin Towers left the Yanks to take over as the Diamondbacks general manager.
- Yankees Global Enterprises in carrying over $2 billion in debt.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.