Sep

Fan Confidence Poll: September 20th, 2010

Record Last Week: 3-3 (29 RS, 22 RA)
Season Record: 90-59 (792 RS, 611 RA, 93-56 Pythag. record), 0.5 games up
Schedule This Week: vs. Rays (four games, Mon. to Thurs.), vs. Red Sox (three games, Fri. to Sun.)

Top stories from last week:

Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.

View Results
Categories : Polls

1. 8. The playoffs will be clinched this week. The division will be clinched the first day of October.

Tommie: very aroused.

2. The poll didn’t take nearly as big a hit last week as I thought it did. Bravo, team.

Voted a 9, still the best team in baseball, still have a great farm system yadda yadda.

3. Jake H says:

9 because they are a lock for the post season. Once you get there anything can happen.

4. bonestock94 says:

On paper we should win the WS, but I just don’t think we will. This whole RISP thing is bugging the shit out of me. I vote 7 though, all this talent and 1st place I’m certainly not negative, just less confident.

5. Hughesus Christo says:

7 because Girardi is driving me effing insane.

6. Pete says:

Still a 9. Even when we’re not scoring runs, were getting men on base. I’m cool with that. Add a healthy Andy to that cocktail and there’ll be a good run in there somewhere.

/bexybait’d

7. larryf says:

8. I am concerned about facing the better pitchers throwing off speed to our free swingers (see Swish, Tex, Grandy), Joe’s robo-managing (see putting in free swingers to pinch hit when only contact is needed), one lefty/loogy that gets used up by the 6th, and the umps not helping us as much this year (see Twins foulball that was 2 feet fair in the playoffs last year).

Other than that, why hasn’t Joe pitched Ring or Romulo yet? He’s resting guys, he’s not resting guys-it’s all so confusing…

also, we don’t have our world series mvp this year-he was a very good YS hitter

8. JobaWockeeZ says:

8 now that Andy is back.

9. steve s says:

I have confidence in the players but not Girardi. His handling of Joba in the 7th and his handling of the top of the 11th yesterday was as bizarre as it gets (and even if the Yanks went ahead all the players he burned left the Yanks extremely vulnerable for the rest of the game) all of which came on top of the other managing blunders he made on the road trip. It may be that Yankee management is to blame as well as Girardi for implementing the “let’s get healthy over winning the division” strategy which I disagree with strongly with the irony being if they had played more to win over the last 13 games they could have been looking to wrap-up the division by splitting with the Rays this week and given those players needing time off some continuous time off over the last 10 virtually meaningless games.

10. Reggie C. says:

The rotation gets a much needed boost in Andy’s return. I’m still waiting for the other shoe to drop and see Good Aj disappear for good. Aj + Vazquez + Gautre = playoff death.

• Steve O. says:

I’ve got some faith in Burnett to not shit the bed in the playoffs. I’m expecting one dominant outing, two solid outings, and one terrible outing.

• Chris says:

Name a team with a better #4 starter than AJ.

Go ahead, I’ll wait.

• Thomas says:

The Twins and the Rays both have better number 4s than Burnett. The names may not be as famous, but they have outperformed him.

• Chris says:

You’d really take Jeff Niemann/Wade Davis/James Shields/Kevin Slowey/Scott Baker over AJ Burnett to win a playoff game?

They may be having slightly better seasons this year than AJ, but they’re not better pitchers.

• Thomas says:

Really they’re not better pitchers. You’d take Burnett over Baker and Shields pitchers with a better K rate, BB rate, ERA, WHIP, FIP, and xFIP. Slowey and Davis have slightly lower K rates, but walk less batters and have been more valuable. Niemann has had equal value to Burnett.

I think Burnett has the possibility to out pitch the other 5 with only James Shields likely able to match him. However, Burnett’s also in my opinion is more likely to bomb in the playoffs.

• JerZGuy says:

That depends on which AJ shows up.
        The one with the filty curve and riding fastball, or the one who grooves meatballs down the pipe and puts the team 5 or 6 behind by the 3rd inning.

11. Johnny O says:

This week feels more like a “TBD” vote should be available. One huge series coming up and one hyped only for media purposes series coming up. Would love to be the ones to officially nail shut the coffin for the 2010 Red Sox season.

12. Klemy says:

Yeah, I was at a 7 last week and I’m staying there at the moment. I’ll be there at least until after the Rays series. I am happy for the return of Andy, that alone made me almost go back to an 8.

13. vin says:

Still a 9. Andy returned and pitched well. AJ has seemed to put god-awful AJ behind him. And Hughes returned from his extended rest and pitched very well. Bullpen is still getting the job (although it may not seem like it at times this past week).

Hopefully the banged up position players can get healed before the postseason.

Oh, and Alex is mashing again.

14. seimiya says:

Andy brings me to an 8, but I just want to strangle myself every time we can’t hit with RISP, which is keeping me from the 9.

15. bexarama says:

9. I missed Andy. I kind of want the Red Sox to be already eliminated by the time they come to town (or get eliminated in the first game) because it’d be hilarious to watch the FOX and ESPN broadcasts with them already out of it.

16. Jorge says:

Don’t think I voted last week, but an 8 now, and I’ve been in the 8-9 range for a while now. Not concerned about the team’s ability to get it together in the short term, and thik they’ve got as good a shot as can be at repeating. More concerned about how this team will age in 2011.

• larryf says:

Age? ignore the Jesus factor at your own peril…

• Jorge says:

Didn’t exactly forget about the Jesus when I said that. Concerned about an older Jeter. Concerned about an older AJ for the next three years. Slightly concerned about an older Alex, but I’ll gladly sign up to overpay for the 2010 version for a few years. Concerned as to how effectively transitioning from those spots will go. Not concerned about how the team will transition at catcher. They’ve got about 3-4 tries to get it right from within.

17. Captain Jack says:

I gave this team a six, Romine’s slump gives me longterm concerns about the catcher position, also Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez also leave me feeling a bit concerned going forward. Furthermore, I really fucking hate AJ Burnett…and I hate that the Javy haters look “right” after this season.

18. virginia yankee says:

How do you screw up as a manager. You sit a hurt player out of necessity and then you sit one of your most recently productive players (ARod) who is rounding into playoff shape further requiring a top to bottom change to the batting order, sliding your recently most productive player (Granderson) further away from the RISP. If you need speed on the bases in late innings how do you fail to pinch run for Joirge — he was nowhere close on the DP.

When are they going to fix Gardner’s slash swing – a fly ball anywhere — a gb to the right side would have scored the insurance run. As to your question yesterday – he will be worth playing over a power OF when he begins attacking middl-in pitches as he did yesterday, but that requires fixing the slash an a change in approach.

For all the ability of these guys we love they can look truly awful on key at bats — “trying/hoping to do too much”

When is Girardi going to enforce the “forget the hit get the freakin guy in from 3rd with no out, one out” ethic. The pitchers the yankees are facing are not so deceptive that they can’t be hit — and an understanding that strikeouts are not the worse out — given how difficult it is to get a hit DP pitches need to be recognized for what they are; as do fly ball pitchers that get the guy in from 3rd.

19. Jerome S says:

AJ Burnett = ALCS No-Hitter.