Fan Confidence Poll: May 16th, 2011By
Record Last Week: 1-5 (20 RS, 34 RA)
Season Record: 20-18 (190 RS, 166 RA, 22-16 pythag. record), two games back
Opponents This Week: @ Rays (Mon. and Tues.), @ Orioles (two games, Weds. and Thurs.), vs. Mets (three games, Fri. to Sun.)
Top stories from last week:
- The Yankees enjoyed their first off day in over two weeks on Monday, they welcomed the Royals to town for a three game set. Alex Rodriguez‘s big hit gave New York a series opening win, but blown opportunities let to a loss on Tuesday. Amaury Sanit spared the bullpen in the rubber game loss.
- The Red Sox came to town for the weekend series, and the Yankees dropped their third straight game on Friday night. That prompted Joe Girardi to call a team meeting. A lack of offense led to another loss on Saturday, and Boston finished off the sweep yesterday.
- Jorge Posada Saga: After being moved to ninth in the order, Posada removed himself from Saturday’s lineup because he needed to “clear [his] head.” He apologized on Sunday and will not be disciplined, though the Yankees do not plan on keeping him beyond this season.
- Injury Zone: Phil Hughes started his latest throwing program. Robinson Cano‘s CT scan came back negative after he was hit in the head by a pitch on Wednesday. Rafael Soriano had a precautionary MRI on his elbow that showed only inflammation, but he’s still out until Wednesday.
- MLB is investigating the stem cell treatment that Bartolo Colon underwent on his damaged shoulder and elbow because the doctor has reportedly used HGH in the past.
- The Yankees don’t plan to talk about a new contract with CC Sabathia until he opts out of his contract after the season, and Hal Steinbrenner wouldn’t commit to keeping Brian Cashman around after his contract expires later this year. A-Rod hired a new agent, for whatever reason.
- Hector Noesi took Buddy Carlyle’s spot in the bullpen, and Sanit took Ramiro Pena‘s spot to shore up a taxed bullpen. Jess Todd was designated for assignment in a corresponding move.
- Minor leaguer Slade Heathcott will be suspended for his role in a bench clearing brawl on Friday, the same day a must read story about his troubled past was published.
- The next Collective Bargaining Agreement is unlikely to implement a worldwide draft.
- Last, but certainly not least, head trainer Gene Monahan is retiring at the end of the season after 49 years of service in the Yankees organization.
Please take a second to answer the poll below and give us an idea of how confident you are in the team. You can view the (new and improved) Fan Confidence Graph anytime via the nav bar above, or by clicking here. Thanks in advance for voting.
- 10 (very confident)
- 1 (no confidence)